Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What can I say? I’m lazy. It won’t get dirty if it’s hanging free. Or maybe I’ll wrap it around. The hassle is sticking it back in the plug in the mount. In any case, I could use some advice as to where to locate the plug in the wall.
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You'll need to find the install docs for the Dock to figure out if it needs to cover the power outlet or not. You won't need to put the connector back in the dock, it's just a holder, so you can just loop it over the top and leave it dangling if you want.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
It won’t get dirty if it’s hanging free. Or maybe I’ll wrap it around. The hassle is sticking it back in the plug in the mount. In any case, I could use some advice as to where to locate the plug in the wall.
Maybe I don't understand where you're coming from when you mentioned 'drop[ping] the cord'. The cable won't retract when you let it go. If you want to hang it on a hook on the wall, that is fine. It'll probably take a fraction of a second to push the end into the wall mount slot.
I definitely wouldn't leave it on the garage floor though.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Ive seen cable hang from the ceiling on elastic cord. That would be quite cool. Need to look into that.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Something like this, but for your one charging cable. It's an option. Probably not a cheap one, but still an option. ;)
Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US 1588799165897

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Hope this helps someone else......as others have tried to educate me, I think I'm finally coming up to speed.
I now see there's another thread with a parts list and drawing.....I missed that earlier.
Took delivery of the 1st Taycan in our market and seeing this stuff in the flesh helps.
The 'Dock' comes in a large box.....Mobile Charger Connect, on the right, in a heavy plastic rap......both were in the trunk. The black Cocker Spaniel is just for scale:) . The manuals on the floor are in 40 languages.....only about 6 pages of all that is English. Incredible.
The next shot below is stuff out and unwrapped.
The 'Dock' is pretty hefty and significant. It will cover your electricians 14-50 plug. Two short cables come w/the Mobil Charger Connect kit......one for that 14-50 plug, the other for a regular wall outlet. Either one then plugs into the MCC control box which mounts in the dock with it's op. panel flush w/the face of the dock.
I'm impressed w/the quality of all......and looking forward to how it will look in my garage. BTW.....I am probably the last to know this but......on the N.American Left-hand drives, the AC power point is on the left side..........your DC (Fast Charger) point is on the right.

right.e.
Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US All E-stuff in trunk
Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US Both pieces

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can charge with AC power on either side.

If it didn’t have restricted placement over the outlet I think I’d get one. I’ll probably just stick with the 32A charger that’s already installed.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can charge with AC power on either side.

If it didn’t have restricted placement over the outlet I think I’d get one. I’ll probably just stick with the 32A charger that’s already installed.
So true on AC (Level 2) charging on either side of car. DC only on passenger side.

The Porsche Dock appears to allow cord to come out and have external outlet btw.
Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US Screenshot_20200510-153240~2

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep Ron.........actually the black bottom plate is used only if you have mains power coming in from the top or the bottom, rather than existing power from behind the wall......so that black spacer has hole in top & bottom.
Thanks Miwa.....as I said, still leaning.
So for my new 50 amp/250 volt service....I can keep it on the right side of my garage.........great.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hope this helps someone else......as others have tried to educate me, I think I'm finally coming up to speed.
I now see there's another thread with a parts list and drawing.....I missed that earlier.
Took delivery of the 1st Taycan in our market and seeing this stuff in the flesh helps.
The 'Dock' comes in a large box.....Mobile Charger Connect, on the right, in a heavy plastic rap......both were in the trunk. The black Cocker Spaniel is just for scale:) . The manuals on the floor are in 40 languages.....only about 6 pages of all that is English. Incredible.
The next shot below is stuff out and unwrapped.
The 'Dock' is pretty hefty and significant. It will cover your electricians 14-50 plug. Two short cables come w/the Mobil Charger Connect kit......one for that 14-50 plug, the other for a regular wall outlet. Either one then plugs into the MCC control box which mounts in the dock with it's op. panel flush w/the face of the dock.
I'm impressed w/the quality of all......and looking forward to how it will look in my garage. BTW.....I am probably the last to know this but......on the N.American Left-hand drives, the AC power point is on the left side..........your DC (Fast Charger) point is on the right.

right.e.
All E-stuff in trunk.jpg
Both pieces.jpg
Thanks, this is very helpful. But I’m still trying to figure out where I should have the 14-50 outlet installed for the dock. You’re saying that it covers the plug? Maybe that other thread you mentioned would help? Do you have a link? I can’t find it. I’m looking for the dimensions of the dock, and where the outlet should be relative to the dock location.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave.........there's actually a plethora several good thread topics here under Charging....I see you on some.......only caution would be that some are not North America.
The one I saw with the line drawing and parts list did not have demensions.
So.....size of the 'Dock'.....well, my Cocker Spaniel in the picture could sit in it if it were flipped over. It's big, and no problem in it going over the top of any 14-50 receptacle. Sorry I am at the office and can't measure it right now.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Dave.........there's actually a plethora several good thread topics here under Charging....I see you on some.......only caution would be that some are not North America.
The one I saw with the line drawing and parts list did not have demensions.
So.....size of the 'Dock'.....well, my Cocker Spaniel in the picture could sit in it if it were flipped over. It's big, and no problem in it going over the top of any 14-50 receptacle. Sorry I am at the office and can't measure it right now.
Ah, ok, I now see what you mean. For some reason I thought that there was a small opening in the back for the dock to fit over the outlet. So it sounds like the whole back of the dock is open. That makes it easier to have some wiggle room for locating the dock on the wall. But how deep is it? It looks really big in your picture. My car parks only two feet from the wall to its side in my garage. It looks like it will be difficult to walk between the dock and the car. I'm wondering if I should mount the dock as high as I can because of that.

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Ah, ok, I now see what you mean. For some reason I thought that there was a small opening in the back for the dock to fit over the outlet. So it sounds like the whole back of the dock is open. That makes it easier to have some wiggle room for locating the dock on the wall. But how deep is it? It looks really big in your picture. My car parks only two feet from the wall to its side in my garage. It looks like it will be difficult to walk between the dock and the car. I'm wondering if I should mount the dock as high as I can because of that.
Actually, you are more correct; the Charging Dock has an opening on the back large enough for a standard NEMA 14-50 receptacle, with a little space for wiggle room. It also comes with a mounting plate and spacer to accommodate a recessed or protruding outlet. Here's a page from the installation guide that I found via Googling.

Porsche Taycan Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US 1589343427065