Best Home Chargers for Taycan Turbo in US

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
While the car itself qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit in the US, I presume you are asking about the EVSE/Charger itself? If so, the answer is a complicated "maybe, but probably not". I've been driving electric for 8 years now and when I got my first EV I installed an EVSE in my garage and fully expected to be able to claim the "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit". As it turns out, I was not eligible, and I doubt many of us are. Before I go on, I should state that I am not a lawyer or a tax professional, and the tax laws have changed somewhat in the intervening years, so any or all of this may turn out to be no longer true.

The way the federal Charging credit rule is written, the credit can't reduce your tax burden lower than the independently calculated Alternate Minimum Tax. Even if you don't end up actually paying AMT, what I found (and most others found) is that this renders the credit unobtainable for many. I would think that most people who can spend Taycan money on a car are likely to be in the same boat. See the following for more details: http://aecn.timehorse.com/2011/02/ev...tive-fuel.html and https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911

I would love to be wrong, so if anyone has better luck please let me know!
This is correct, in that the universe of people who can use the credit is small. The people who are best positioned to really use the credit are
  • Stretching to buy the car relative to their AGI; OR
  • Wealthy and not working for high W-2 wages (effectively sheltering and/or limiting most personal taxable income) and therefore have very low AGI
Not knowing the composition of people on this forum, it's hard to say that very few people qualify, however.
Sponsored

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is correct, in that the universe of people who can use the credit is small. The people who are best positioned to really use the credit are
  • Stretching to buy the car relative to their AGI; OR
  • Wealthy and not working for high W-2 wages (effectively sheltering and/or limiting most personal taxable income) and therefore have very low AGI
Not knowing the composition of people on this forum, it's hard to say that very few people qualify, however.
Thanks guys. Started a thread at https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/us-tax-and-other-incentives.1152/

Jack P

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla models
Country flag
I have 240 volt charger in my garage for my old tesla. What do I need to do to connect my Taycan coming in 2 weeks

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I have 240 volt charger in my garage for my old tesla. What do I need to do to connect my Taycan coming in 2 weeks
If your charger has a J1772 connector on it, nothing, You're all set. If your charger has a Tesla-proprietary connector, for example from a Tesla HPWC, you'll either need to replace it with a standard J1772 EVSE (something like this https://store.clippercreek.com/hcs-60-48-amp-ev-charging-station) or you could get a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter like the TeslaTap: http://www.umc-j1772.com/

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t believe that’s correct. As others have said, the cost of the home chargers only get you a credit if the alternative minimum tax calculation applies (I don’t know how to explain that), which won’t be the case for most people. I’d love to be wrong though.

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t believe that’s correct. As others have said, the cost of the home chargers only get you a credit if the alternative minimum tax calculation applies (I don’t know how to explain that), which won’t be the case for most people. I’d love to be wrong though.
Everyone's individual tax situation is unique, so only you and your tax preparer will know if it is applicable to you. However, the equipment itself is eligible for the Federal tax credit depending upon your personal circumstances.

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
...so only you and your tax preparer will know if it is applicable to you...
I agree with you - just give it to your tax preparer if you spent the money. I am a CPA who can't figure it out, but after spending an hour cranking the numbers through my draft 2019 return, think I am going to get the benefit of the credit. The rest of you high rollers may not be so lucky. :CWL:

Won't actually get my final return for several more months, so keeping fingers crossed.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Skier I would assume you are getting the Porsche Connect Charger that is pre-bundled with the car.
I think that will be an excellent charger and is what I plan to use. Just install a 50amp breaker and wiring to a NEMA 14-50R near one side of where the vehicle will be parked and you will be set. It will allow charging at 9.6kW.

Also you may want to review an older threads on this topic:
Setting up for charging in garage
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/setting-up-for-charging-in-garage.826/

And

Charging and prewiring question
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-and-prewiring-question.261/

Marco

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rover 400 PHEV, jaguar F-pace, Tycan ordered
Country flag
@Skier I would assume you are getting the Porsche Connect Charger that is pre-bundled with the car.
I think that will be an excellent charger and is what I plan to use. Just install a 50amp breaker and wiring to a NEMA 14-50R near one side of where the vehicle will be parked and you will be set. It will allow charging at 9.6kW.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/setting-up-for-charging-in-garage.826/

And

I have read that the 14-50 plug and outlet are slowly being replaced by the 6-50 plugs and outlets in the US as the third ground is becoming obsolete. I have ordered a ChargePoint flex for my wife’s 400 PHEV rover and have asked my electrician to install the 6-50 outlet. Will there be a problem with this? Should I just stick with the 14–50 because it is Still more prevalent in the US? I don’t really plan on unplugging the unit and taking it with me.

Second question, I was looking into the Juicebox pro 75 AMP hardwired charger that can charge at 18kw for my Tycan Turbo (vs the charger that comes with the car) which will be coming in late summer early fall. Should I take the extra step with hardwiring and use this charger or just stick with what comes with the car? I commute approximately 80-100 miles a day and if I need to go back out prior to the following morning I would want to have a quicker recharge If needed to avoid having to recharge while I am out.

Also, will charging at the slightly higher 18kilowatt rate accelerate degradation of the battery?

Any knowledgeable replies are welcome.

Marco

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rover 400 PHEV, jaguar F-pace, Tycan ordered
Country flag

And

Ron, I would appreciate your insight on my question I just posted in your thread regarding charger type for my Tycan and the plug type for the two outlets I’m having installed in my garage for my and my wife’s car .
Thanks!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have read that the 14-50 plug and outlet are slowly being replaced by the 6-50 plugs and outlets in the US as the third ground is becoming obsolete. I have ordered a ChargePoint flex for my wife’s 400 PHEV rover and have asked my electrician to install the 6-50 outlet. Will there be a problem with this? Should I just stick with the 14–50 because it is Still more prevalent in the US? I don’t really plan on unplugging the unit and taking it with me.

Second question, I was looking into the Juicebox pro 75 AMP hardwired charger that can charge at 18kw for my Tycan Turbo (vs the charger that comes with the car) which will be coming in late summer early fall. Should I take the extra step with hardwiring and use this charger or just stick with what comes with the car? I commute approximately 80-100 miles a day and if I need to go back out prior to the following morning I would want to have a quicker recharge If needed to avoid having to recharge while I am out.

Also, will charging at the slightly higher 18kilowatt rate accelerate degradation of the battery?

Any knowledgeable replies are welcome.
Great questions, let me try to give reasonable answers:

1. I was not aware that there was an uptake on the 6-50 plug. It should be fine, you would just request that cord when you order the car. I would say that the 14-50 would be the plug you would want to carry with you on whatever portable charger you may want if you were doing a very long road trip. I stopped carrying an EVSE in my Bolt unless I'm going on over 500 miles in slightly uncharted areas.

2A. As far as when Porsche will offer a Taycan that can accept over 9.6kW in the USA I'm not sure. The current only will only take 9.6kW on single phase and 11kW on 3 phase. I have heard several times the 22kW 3 phase is coming soon as that is common I'm Europe. If so then then it probably can do 19.2kW single phase. It will probably be an additional cost item and I heard not possible to upgrade an existing car. The Porsche connect Charger can do 22kW already, I read that for some countries like China so I don't think that you would need any new home Charger once it's available.

2B. Recovery from a 100 mile trip should take about 4hrs with the 9.6kW charger available now.

3. 22kW and below should be easy on the battery, I would not worry about any increased degregation.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I'm having the ChargePoint Flex installed on Tuesday. The ground is finally thawed so they can trench and patch my driveway to run the necessary conduit. I've had ChargePoint chargers since 2012. (other brands, too, but I like the online app and monitoring features CP has always provided)
Sponsored