W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I remember in the early days, before my 4S arrived deliberating over the charging and the need to be ready when the car arrived. The big issue then was Porsche saying the expensive charger we were forced to buy would not provide 7.6kW from a single phase uk supply, as it was designed for operation over 2 phase 220V. Porsches words, “you need to purchase an Andersen charger for single phase 7.6kW operation”. I remember going over all the Porsche charging information and just thinking do the dealers know anything about electric charging! Yes I now know I could have used the supplied charger - with a different supply cable for the 7.6kW operation, but I needed a charger installed before the car arrived And that option was never put to me. I’ve since purchased the supply cable,but never used the charger. For me I went down the Zappi 2 route. Also helped as it integrated well with my solar generation.
The basic charger PMC+ has always been rated at 9.6kW and I don't think anyone would have been 'forced' to buy the more expensive PMCC (rated at 22kW). I ended up with the PMCC simply because there was a supply issue with the PMC+ from Sep'20 to end mid Dec'20 and it was provided to all customers as a no cost option (so a certain number of us got lucky). I have single phase, 32A supply from fuse box deriving 7.4kW (sometimes slightly higher) - perfect.

The advice given to you also does not make sense either. PMCC is designed for 3 phase - 11kW or up to 22kW depending on the AC onboard charger you have.

Andersens installed my electrics and PMCC - so again I doubt Andersen's would provide ill guidance.

The fact is that the dealers were 99.9% clueless as to the home needs from launch through most of 2020 (today it's better but not great). They ought to have known better since Porsche Hybrids have been around quite a while and suspect they got "confused" with the PMC unit (not PMC+) which was 3.6kW (max).

It's a real shame (if not tragedy) that you were so badly informed. Accept the stress associated with wanting to have something installed in advance. I was the same and simply borrowed the wall charging dock so that the template could be laid out in advance and the installation concluded when I took delivery of the car (last November).

I made quite some noise that this 'service' wasn't offered as part of the package - home survey, pre-install, train etc. Dealer Principle saw the merit in it but the excuse was simply that they did not have spare PMC+ / PMCC EVSEs or Wall Boxes as these came from the factory with the car (I'm sure he could have tried harder). He did lend me a Wall Dock which helped to a degree.
Sponsored