W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
so just reading the posts above - I am deciding between the zappi v2 and the podpoint - with the podpoint it looks like i need to set the charging timer overnight from the car vs with the zappi it can be done from the app - is it easy to set from the car or is it worth paying the extra £150 so i can do this from the zappi app?
Why can't you do it from the Porsche Connect App - no need to be restricted?
Sponsored

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
so just reading the posts above - I am deciding between the zappi v2 and the podpoint - with the podpoint it looks like i need to set the charging timer overnight from the car vs with the zappi it can be done from the app - is it easy to set from the car or is it worth paying the extra £150 so i can do this from the zappi app?
Pod point now you can set timer from your app.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Best choice is CTEK charge master most future proof ev charger on the market app is excellent and they also do one with 2 outlets as well as load balancing etc we have had 3 fit much better than Anderson which is ok but because its coiled wire is thin it can get very hot if not totally unwound

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Best choice is CTEK charge master most future proof ev charger on the market app is excellent and they also do one with 2 outlets as well as load balancing etc we have had 3 fit much better than Anderson which is ok but because its coiled wire is thin it can get very hot if not totally unwound
Sorry my mistake its called CTEK Chargestorm

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
General question but why is everyone electing not to use either the PMC+ or optional PMCC unit for home charging?

Timers and profiles provide control for how much to charge and when.

Is the primary reason integration with home energy managers and solar?
This is also my question. I don’t have a wall charger yet but I am going to install one. I don’t have solar panels.

I optioned the 22 kWh internal charger.

My house has 3x400V but the electrician has to make some changes and he has to install a new power line to my garage. Probably will be best to have a 11 or 22 kw industrial socket in my garage.

Does it make any sense to buy a different wall charger than the one supplied with the car? I don’t even know if I should buy the connect or just stay with the base one.

My company pays the electricity bill, I don’t need a separate tarification.

I think I would take the mobile charger on a road trip but I guess it wouldn’t be a problem disconnecting it.

Does anyone keep the evse in the car as a backup? Probably not?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is also my question. I don’t have a wall charger yet but I am going to install one. I don’t have solar panels.

I optioned the 22 kWh internal charger.

My house has 3x400V but the electrician has to make some changes and he has to install a new power line to my garage. Probably will be best to have a 11 or 22 kw industrial socket in my garage.

Does it make any sense to buy a different wall charger than the one supplied with the car? I don’t even know if I should buy the connect or just stay with the base one.

My company pays the electricity bill, I don’t need a separate tarification.

I think I would take the mobile charger on a road trip but I guess it wouldn’t be a problem disconnecting it.

Does anyone keep the evse in the car as a backup? Probably not?
You will need a 22kW EVSE at home to take the full advantage here. If not you will max out at 11kW - not bad but you paid to have more! PMCC (also portable) would tick all boxes but there are other cheaper alternatives. I have the PMCC on single phase and very happy with it.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You will need a 22kW EVSE at home to take the full advantage here. If not you will max out at 11kW - not bad but you paid to have more! PMCC (also portable) would tick all boxes but there are other cheaper alternatives. I have the PMCC on single phase and very happy with it.
Turns out my house has 3x230 V without N. So no triple fase charging possible. This needs 3 x 400 + N.

The electrician can install a transformer.

Other option is to charge single fase at 7,2 kw. Probably this will be enough to charge over night (12 hours)
I asked Porsche and I am waiting for answer but maybe other owners encountered the same issues.

Will the 22 kw internal charger charge 7.2 when connected single fase and the 11 kw maximal 3,6 kw? So without the optional 22 kw internal charger single fase charging would be limited to 3,6.

Most important is a stable solution. Charging the car in 12h should be fine.

Anyone installed a 3 x 230 to 3 x 400 V + N transformer? Is this a stable solution. I understand the down side with electricity use by the transformer.

Any experience would be of great help.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Sorry my mistake its called CTEK Chargestorm
Looks like it’s maximum charge rate is only 3.7kW. Not that good. . . . Unless I’ve misread the data sheet.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Single phase will enable you to charge at 7.4kW with either the standard 11kW AC charger or the 22kW AC onboard charger.

If you decide to use all 3 phases then you will get up to 11KW or 19.6kW depending which charger you have in the car.

The EVSE equipment you use must be rated up to 22kW to give a 19.6kw charge.

Standard Porsche EVSE - Porsche Mobile Charger Plus is rated at 11kW and will give you 7.4kW on single phase and up to 11kW on 3 phase. Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is rated at 22 kW and will give you up to that amount if you have the 22kW AC charger installed in the car.

Single phase with standard 11kW AC charger in the car will happily charge overnight from 14% battery to 85% overnight within a 7 hour window.

This time can be halved with full use of your 3 phase and the correct EVSE and AC charger option in your car.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Single phase will enable you to charge at 7.4kW with either the standard 11kW AC charger or the 22kW AC onboard charger.

If you decide to use all 3 phases then you will get up to 11KW or 19.6kW depending which charger you have in the car.

The EVSE equipment you use must be rated up to 22kW to give a 19.6kw charge.

Standard Porsche EVSE - Porsche Mobile Charger Plus is rated at 11kW and will give you 7.4kW on single phase and up to 11kW on 3 phase. Porsche Mobile Charger Connect is rated at 22 kW and will give you up to that amount if you have the 22kW AC charger installed in the car.

Single phase with standard 11kW AC charger in the car will happily charge overnight from 14% battery to 85% overnight within a 7 hour window.

This time can be halved with full use of your 3 phase and the correct EVSE and AC charger option in your car.
Thanks. Really useful.

ptilley42

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have the Anderson, bought on looks, when being fitted installer said that you dont need to unwind, its never got hot on mine and i have the the longer cables

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have the Anderson, bought on looks, when being fitted installer said that you dont need to unwind, its never got hot on mine and i have the the longer cables
These are not chargers but rather electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) and any one will do that matches your home supply capabilities and those of the charger in the car.

The best advice is the 'dumber the better' and use the in built timers and profiles of the car / app / My Porsche / web interface of the PMC+ / PMCC.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I read this the other day and just thought "really?".

I still don't understand why you would go out of your way to purchase an additional EVSE when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard one you get with the car (PMC+ or PMCC if you upgrade either because you have 3 phase (22kW) or feel the need for an interactive user interface / touch panel).

When installed correctly these EVSEs all do the same thing - supply electrical current - the actual charging is managed and controlled by the car so why deviate and do something different.

I understand if you need a secondary EVSE and the costs may be less but other than that I can't see how one can possibly be better than the other for this fundamental task.

I think it comes down to cosmetics (never a good reason) and a 'better' user interface but neither of these IMHO really enhance the essentials of supplying electricity to the car or controlling the flow of it.

Apps can be a marmite experience but actually I'm so used to the Porsche App (and it's foibles) there isn't anything that I can't actually do in respect of charging or the control of it. In fact, as it is part of the Porsche charging / vehicle control eco system it offers integration to other features which isn't offered by the others. Why use two apps when one will do?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I read this the other day and just thought "really?".

I still don't understand why you would go out of your way to purchase an additional EVSE when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the standard one you get with the car (PMC+ or PMCC if you upgrade either because you have 3 phase (22kW) or feel the need for an interactive user interface / touch panel).

When installed correctly these EVSEs all do the same thing - supply electrical current - the actual charging is managed and controlled by the car so why deviate and do something different.

I understand if you need a secondary EVSE and the costs may be less but other than that I can't see how one can possibly be better than the other for this fundamental task.

I think it comes down to cosmetics (never a good reason) and a 'better' user interface but neither of these IMHO really enhance the essentials of supplying electricity to the car or controlling the flow of it.

Apps can be a marmite experience but actually I'm so used to the Porsche App (and it's foibles) there isn't anything that I can't actually do in respect of charging or the control of it. In fact, as it is part of the Porsche charging / vehicle control eco system it offers integration to other features which isn't offered by the others. Why use two apps when one will do?
I remember in the early days, before my 4S arrived deliberating over the charging and the need to be ready when the car arrived. The big issue then was Porsche saying the expensive charger we were forced to buy would not provide 7.6kW from a single phase uk supply, as it was designed for operation over 2 phase 220V. Porsches words, “you need to purchase an Andersen charger for single phase 7.6kW operation”.

I remember going over all the Porsche charging information and just thinking do the dealers know anything about electric charging! Yes I now know I could have used the supplied charger - with a different supply cable for the 7.6kW operation, but I needed a charger installed before the car arrived and that option was never put to me. I’ve since purchased the supply cable,but never used the charger.

For me I went down the Zappi 2 route. Also helped as it integrated well with my solar generation. As for the Porsche charger, maybe one day I’ll connect it up as a second charger, but only when we have a second EV.
Sponsored