Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Got my EO unit heavily subsidized through the Octopus Energy Offer.
Sponsored

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Commando socket now fitted at my holiday home (1ph [blue] and linked with the Connect lead and module it’s giving me the 7kw 32amp supply just fine) on a par with my home charger solution which is a Wallbox Pulsar Plus with tethered lead. Pretty happy that occasional use of this remote from home set up will give me ample range and zero anxiety.. it’s pretty neat in terms of positioning and cheap install (£250 parts and Labour plus got my distribution board overhauled and wiring tidied up)

* one point I struggle with is to remember to set the car to direct charging as I don’t quite understand the “Charging Profile” option (I must learn how to use this properly) *

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Commando socket now fitted at my holiday home (1ph [blue] and linked with the Connect lead and module it’s giving me the 7kw 32amp supply just fine) on a par with my home charger solution which is a Wallbox Pulsar Plus with tethered lead. Pretty happy that occasional use of this remote from home set up will give me ample range and zero anxiety.. it’s pretty neat in terms of positioning and cheap install (£250 parts and Labour plus got my distribution board overhauled and wiring tidied up)

* one point I struggle with is to remember to set the car to direct charging as I don’t quite understand the “Charging Profile” option (I must learn how to use this properly) *
Direct charging button just overrides your charging profile. So on direct you’ll charge to 100%. Basically your last night on holiday you would hit that button for the road trip back home.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Direct charging button just overrides your charging profile. So on direct you’ll charge to 100%. Basically your last night on holiday you would hit that button for the road trip back home.
Thanks ...80-85% charge and 200/210 miles range is perfect for me ... it’s the use of charging profiles that I want to get to understand better .... for a moment I though “minimum charge” was the ability to charge UP to that minimum but alas not ...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Thanks ...80-85% charge and 200/210 miles range is perfect for me ... it’s the use of charging profiles that I want to get to understand better .... for a moment I though “minimum charge” was the ability to charge UP to that minimum but alas not ...
Weird that your profile min charge is not working. Maybe a timed charge setup? If so delete it and just use the profile charge

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
I went with the mini eo and it is working well. Went with the octopus energy deal to get it discounted.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Basically, you can fit anything. With my new house, I got the electrician to fit a Tesla Wall Connector (free referral) and a Zappi. If you have a company EV like me, you can charge the cost of the units and the installation to the company. Most EV chargers do require a separate earth rod but the Zappi 2 does not.

Porsche Taycan Best home chargers UK 01299d1d37ece39ceac465ce0b35d3790d05ee34ac

Bonglim

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am looking to get the discounted one through octopus energy.
Slightly off topic - but if my electricity box is on one side of my fairly new expensive driveways and the car port is on the other side, are they able to tunnel underneath without having to dig up the drive?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Hi Bonglim
If you are willing to pay, I guess anything is possible, but can’t imagine it would be a standard process. Would probably be easier to run around the edge of your drive somehow?
We have HS2 4 miles down the road spending £bns on a white elephant project, and they have some crazy tunnelling gear!

Bonglim

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Bonglim
If you are willing to pay, I guess anything is possible, but can’t imagine it would be a standard process. Would probably be easier to run around the edge of your drive somehow?
We have HS2 4 miles down the road spending £bns on a white elephant project, and they have some crazy tunnelling gear!
Thanks for your reply - is a longish way around - but you are right almost certainly cheaper than tunnelling.

993Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘96 Porsche 993 C2
Country flag
FWIW, had great experience having a ZAPI 22KWH (3-phase) installed by Elecology (www.elecology.com) for 1064 after OLEV. Nice family business to deal with.
First impression of Zapi unit/ app seem decent. PV is my next project now.. :)

911GP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Quick question please: is it better to get a universal charger and then add a cable or buy a unit with a tethered cable? Thanks

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Quick question please: is it better to get a universal charger and then add a cable or buy a unit with a tethered cable? Thanks
I think it is totally down to personal taste. I am unlikely to need any alternative connection for at least the next 4 years and the look of the Andersen charger is more important.
If I need to I will obtain a converter or find a way to change the tethered cable.
If the unit is in a garage and you are likely to change in the future or need to charge two different vehicles, it could be a good move to have the flexibility.
There are some good comparisons on YouTube, so probably worth an hour’s research some time.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
I don't suppose any of the people with the Andersen chargers in this thread are also using Octopus Agile's tariff?

If so, I've just been told by their support agents that they do not have their dynamic pricing API working with any providers yet, so you manually have to enter the price per hour/day for each day to make the dynamic pricing work? IMO, that sort of defeats the objective and I'd rather stick it on 12-7AM charging until they have it working, or find another charger (recommendations pls?)...
Sponsored