First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
What offer was this, sorry?
The EO Mini Smart Home Chargers were at a cheaper subsidised price if you purchase through Octopus Energy. I believe this to be still on. Check Octopus Energy website.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
The EO Mini Smart Home Chargers were at a cheaper subsidised price if you purchase through Octopus Energy. I believe this to be still on. Check Octopus Energy website.
I actually contact them today and their response was:

"Thanks for getting in touch! Love the Taycan you're in for a treat!
The Mini Pro 2 doesn't work with Agile on its own I'm afraid, you would need an OhMe cable as well to take advantage.
Both the OhMe and the EO Mini Pro 2 are available at a discounted cost for Octopus customers and can be ordered from octopusev.com/charging"

So I'd effectively have to buy both of their chargers for the agile tariff pricing to work it seems.. quickly makes it the same price of Andersen even with discount!

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
So I'd effectively have to buy both of their chargers for the agile tariff pricing to work it seems.. quickly makes it the same price of Andersen even with discount!
No, you only need one charger. Their response is a little confusing.
If you want to use Octopus Energy's Agile tariff (which is charged in 30-minute price blocks) then yes, you need a charger that downloads the Agile pricing data beforehand and then knows which are the cheapest time segments to charge. The Ohme charger does this (the one in the Octopus offer needs a Commando socket, but you can buy an installed unit instead if you prefer) but so does the Rolec, Zappi and probably a few other chargers.
If you're not bothered about the Agile tariff and perhaps just use either Octopus Go (cheap rate 00:30 - 04:30) or another energy provider then get any EV charger you like! The Mini Pro 2 isn't anything special, just slightly discounted when you're an Octopus customer. It does seem a bit weird that they're selling a charger that doesn't integrate with their fancy Agile tariff, but there you go.

Octopus have confused things by saying you can add an Ohme charger onto an existing EV charger, which is true. Useful if you have a really old dumb charger you want to make "smart" otherwise just duplication. Ignore this part of their email!

Duc959

First Name
FR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
share.octopus.energy
Vehicles
RR Vogue Autobiography, Ducati Panigale V2
Country flag
I don't suppose any of the people with the Andersen chargers in this thread are also using Octopus Agile's tariff?

If so, I've just been told by their support agents that they do not have their dynamic pricing API working with any providers yet, so you manually have to enter the price per hour/day for each day to make the dynamic pricing work? IMO, that sort of defeats the objective and I'd rather stick it on 12-7AM charging until they have it working, or find another charger (recommendations pls?)...
Zappi v2, just had mine installed, but I am unable to set the pricing via myenergi online account.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Had my pod point installed couple of weeks back. Can’t comment on performance yet but several work colleagues have installed recently and all are happy.

Porsche Taycan Best home chargers UK 4-A56-BC59-490-A-4074-9535-C9398-B9-F6196

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had my pod point installed couple of weeks back. Can’t comment on performance yet but several work colleagues have installed recently and all are happy.

4-A56-BC59-490-A-4074-9535-C9398-B9-F6196.jpg
I have a Pod-Point for my Taycan4s, I can confirm at least on my install it's painless - plugged in and worked 1st time - all green on the charging lights - at the Pod-Point and the Taycan, disconnected fine at end of charging also, the general profile of 85% on the Taycan worked fine too...really was plain and simple the way it should be.
The Pod-Point app shows you how much it costs you also if you input your electric tariff, only thing it doesn't have is a timer, so you need to use the one in the Taycan if you want to program the start time to cheap electric rates, I don't bother and just have the general 85% profile setting setup.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I have a Pod-Point for my Taycan4s, I can confirm at least on my install it's painless - plugged in and worked 1st time - all green on the charging lights - at the Pod-Point and the Taycan, disconnected fine at end of charging also, the general profile of 85% on the Taycan worked fine too...really was plain and simple the way it should be.
The Pod-Point app shows you how much it costs you also if you input your electric tariff, only thing it doesn't have is a timer, so you need to use the one in the Taycan if you want to program the start time to cheap electric rates, I don't bother and just have the general 85% profile setting setup.
Good to know. Have the pp app installed and ready to go. Not sure why but the timer bit did surprise me as thought the pod point would cover this. I do want to charge daily (nightly should i day) and take advantage of the 4 hours of 5p a kWh I get from octopus every night. Is it easy to set up the car to do this?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I swapped to OVO as we didn’t have a smart meter and our existing supplier Scottish Power said they could only guarantee by 2025.
OVO have a tariff (amazingly called OVO Smart) where you have to agree to a smart meter which is being installed 10 days after we switched.
I will then probably switch to the Octopus tariff with cheap overnight charging once I get driving a lot again after the Pandemic and the country has recovered from a hard Brexit!!. It’s £30 to get out of the OVO tariff.
All this assumes that the OVO smart meter is good for Octopus of course.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
No, you only need one charger. Their response is a little confusing.
If you want to use Octopus Energy's Agile tariff (which is charged in 30-minute price blocks) then yes, you need a charger that downloads the Agile pricing data beforehand and then knows which are the cheapest time segments to charge. The Ohme charger does this (the one in the Octopus offer needs a Commando socket, but you can buy an installed unit instead if you prefer) but so does the Rolec, Zappi and probably a few other chargers.
If you're not bothered about the Agile tariff and perhaps just use either Octopus Go (cheap rate 00:30 - 04:30) or another energy provider then get any EV charger you like! The Mini Pro 2 isn't anything special, just slightly discounted when you're an Octopus customer. It does seem a bit weird that they're selling a charger that doesn't integrate with their fancy Agile tariff, but there you go.

Octopus have confused things by saying you can add an Ohme charger onto an existing EV charger, which is true. Useful if you have a really old dumb charger you want to make "smart" otherwise just duplication. Ignore this part of their email!
Thanks for your reply. I did try to contact them again about this, but their response was equally as confusing:

"Sorry the OhMe cable replaces your Type 2 to Type 2 vehicle charger cable so plugs into the car and the charger.
We sell the EO Mini Pro 2 for £545 including a standard installation and the OhMe Type 2 to Type 2 cable for £199."

Do you know of any chargers that download Octopus Agile's tariffs automatically?

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I did try to contact them again about this, but their response was equally as confusing:

"Sorry the OhMe cable replaces your Type 2 to Type 2 vehicle charger cable so plugs into the car and the charger.
We sell the EO Mini Pro 2 for £545 including a standard installation and the OhMe Type 2 to Type 2 cable for £199."

Do you know of any chargers that download Octopus Agile's tariffs automatically?
Yes. That Ohme charger is one of them, but you'll either need to buy a hardwired version from an EV charger supplier or one with a Commando socket fitted and get an electrician to install an outlet. If you've got no other use for an outlet (and you're not planning to move soon) then may be easiest to get an installed version.
https://www.ohme-ev.com/consumers (the "charge at home" version on the left)

Rolec Wallpod:EV HomeSmart
https://www.rolecserv.com/home-charging

Zappi:
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

There are probably others, but those are known to work.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Yes. That Ohme charger is one of them, but you'll either need to buy a hardwired version from an EV charger supplier or one with a Commando socket fitted and get an electrician to install an outlet. If you've got no other use for an outlet (and you're not planning to move soon) then may be easiest to get an installed version.
https://www.ohme-ev.com/consumers (the "charge at home" version on the left)

Rolec Wallpod:EV HomeSmart
https://www.rolecserv.com/home-charging

Zappi:
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

There are probably others, but those are known to work.
Cheers! Have pinged them both a message.
However, Andersen is undeniably the best looking solution!

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Cheers! Have pinged them both a message.
However, Andersen is undeniably the best looking solution!
I am VERY happy with my Andersen.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I got the EO Mini Pro 2 via Octopus and to be honest i'm quite dissappointed.

Although nice, neat and concise - it is very dumb, whereas i was also led to believe it supported Agile pricing whilst i'm on, when in reality the best you can do is set times to charge between, and then rely on the profiles and timers you configure on the car.

I would not get it again - i'd get something that natively supported the dynamic agile pricing if that's what you're after.

Annoyingly after some research it seems a lot of the Tesla's do support it by being able to download the agile pricing natively, or the original EO MIni Pro via a 3rd party app - but the newer Pro 2 version doesn't support this :facepalm:

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I’ve gone for the EO Mini Pro 2 with installation due next week. However, I came across the Easee Home charger, which looks great! Does anyone recommend the Easee?
Sponsored