Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had the Sync EV fitted last week.
I think it's similar to the EO Mini.

No idea if it's any good as I haven't got the car yet......
But the coloured LED lights look very nice. ?
Sponsored

Braveheart

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order, Cayenne, Audi Q3 Sportback, Mazda MX5/Miata
Country flag
Good Morning Everyone,

Due to pick my Taycan up this weekend and have been looking at all the different companies who fit in the UK and was wondering who the best one is ?

The dealer has told me to get the Porsche charger through Anderson EV.

Thanks for your help in advance.

John
I too have gone with the Anderson because of aesthetics as we live in a Conservation Area and it can be specced with a longer charger cable which will allow me to park further up the driveway behind the kids’ cars
When you take off the OLEV grant of £350 and the Energy Saving trust grant of £250 the overall cost inclusive of fitting seems very reasonable

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Zappi V2 charger all the way for me. Not only does it integrate really well with things like Octopus Agile (you can for example set it to charge when the cost is less than 5p per kW) it also crucially let’s me charge from my solar panels. Over the last two months my car has only been charged using my own generated electricity (though admittedly I work from home a lot more these days!).

Braveheart

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order, Cayenne, Audi Q3 Sportback, Mazda MX5/Miata
Country flag
Zappi V2 charger all the way for me. Not only does it integrate really well with things like Octopus Agile (you can for example set it to charge when the cost is less than 5p per kW) it also crucially let’s me charge from my solar panels. Over the last two months my car has only been charged using my own generated electricity (though admittedly I work from home a lot more these days!).
Would love to follow your example but have 2 problems viz :

1) Live in Conservation Area so solar panels are verboten as our Porsche engineers would say

2) old house over 3 levels bizarrely has 3 electricity meters and only Scottish Power has an accounts system that can cope with 3 meter readings even though all on same tariff and all any other supplier would need to do was add up the 3 kilowatt usage figures from each meter and enter the total in their system ?

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
Hi just picking up on this post as I am fortunate enough to be taking ownership of a Taycan in November. I have a garage where it will be installed and I am on an Octopus tariff that is cheaper at night so I assume I am best off with the Zappi v2 ?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi just picking up on this post as I am fortunate enough to be taking ownership of a Taycan in November. I have a garage where it will be installed and I am on an Octopus tariff that is cheaper at night so I assume I am best off with the Zappi v2 ?
I bought the Andersen which can also be programmed to take advantage of variable time of day tariffs (if the companies doing them survive the current kerfuffle)
I'm afraid it was the styling and cable hiding that convinced me over the Zappi.

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
I bought the Andersen which can also be programmed to take advantage of variable time of day tariffs (if the companies doing them survive the current kerfuffle)
I'm afraid it was the styling and cable hiding that convinced me over the Zappi.
doesnt this limit you if in say a few years you decide to get a different car - will it need a new charging point or can this be converted?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
doesnt this limit you if in say a few years you decide to get a different car - will it need a new charging point or can this be converted?
I don't think so, it is the same maximum power as other single phase EV charge points. The guy who fitted it said a Tesla draws 7.6 kW from one and expects the Taycan to be about the same.
I plugged my Prius PHV into it this morning and it took 3.6 kW and tailed off as it approached full.
Generally one can just plug any EV into it. To get more power I would have to get 3-phase electricity supply fitted which isn't readily available in urban living areas so would probably be super expensive.
Even then it is 11kW or 22 kW (which is an expensive optional extra on the Taycan) which is not enough more to bother with getting 3-phase IMO when I usually have 12 hours of potential charging time per day if I plan well.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No it won't. These units simply manage the supply to the car and the car does the charging. The cable connectors to the car and EVSE (wall box) are standard too.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
General question but why is everyone electing not to use either the PMC+ or optional PMCC unit for home charging?

Timers and profiles provide control for how much to charge and when.

Is the primary reason integration with home energy managers and solar?

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
General question but why is everyone electing not to use either the PMC+ or optional PMCC unit for home charging?

Solar usage was the main driver in me choosing the Zappi V2, an added benefit I had not anticipated at the time was the Time Of Use Tariff integration (eg Octopus Agile Tariff).

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
We have a Hypervolt. Works very well and has the best tech of anything at the moment

Porsche Taycan Best home chargers UK IMG_3996

Porsche Taycan Best home chargers UK IMG_4047.PNG

mangobay

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST 2023. Cayman GT4 (981); BMW X5 40i
Country flag

Integration with Solar is my reason too, my SolarEdge EV charger is much easier to manage alongside solar generation than the PMCC etc

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

PMC+ would have meant running cable under electric garage door - which we have as a gym.

And then leaving the PMC unit lying on the floor in all weather's.

Small outdoor mounted charging point was just easier.

Porsche Taycan Best home chargers UK 20210606_102610

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
so just reading the posts above - I am deciding between the zappi v2 and the podpoint - with the podpoint it looks like i need to set the charging timer overnight from the car vs with the zappi it can be done from the app - is it easy to set from the car or is it worth paying the extra £150 so i can do this from the zappi app?
Sponsored