Best jump starter/booster for 12V Taycan battery ?

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
In your opinion and experience what is the best jump starter you can buy for the Taycan to keep at home?

which should by the manual be approved for lifepo4 batteries
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A second car in your garage is best. Cheapest 12V "automobile sized" lead-acid battery you can buy from an auto parts supply store or home goods store is the next best. You will also need a pair of jumper cables and some small alligator clips with cables (if you need to also power up the system to unlock the frunk).

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
A second car in your garage is best. Cheapest 12V "automobile sized" lead-acid battery you can buy from an auto parts supply store or home goods store is the next best. You will also need a pair of jumper cables and some small alligator clips with cables (if you need to also power up the system to unlock the frunk).
I've got the first part covered.

As far as powering up the system to unlock the frunk is concerned, I have a CTEK maintainer with a "supply" feature that provides 13.6 volts @ up to 7A. Am I correct in assuming that would be adequate to get the job done?

OP
OP

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
I have heardi
I've got the first part covered.

As far as powering up the system to unlock the frunk is concerned, I have a CTEK maintainer with a "supply" feature that provides 13.6 volts @ up to 7A. Am I correct in assuming that would be adequate to get the job done?
It says in the ctek 7a that it’s only for led acid batteries. On the other hand Porsche Taycan has a lithium 12 v battery and not led acid

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you're using this to open the frunk the 12V vehicles battery "is disconnected/isolated" behind a relay due to low-voltage/fault - you are supplying power to the vehicle's frunk electronics to open the frunk - there is _NO_ battery involved if you are powering the frunk electronics to recover a dead Taycan.

so the fact that the Taycan has LiON battery is irrelevant…for this part of the recovery process.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
if you're using this to open the frunk the vehicles battery "is disconnected" behind a relay due to low-voltage/fault - you are supplying power to the vehicle's frunk electronics to open the frunk - there is _NO_ battery involved if you are powering the frunk electronics to recover a dead Taycan.

so the fact that the Taycan has LiON battery is irrelevant…for this part of the recovery process.
Thanks

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
It says in the ctek 7a that it’s only for led acid batteries. On the other hand Porsche Taycan has a lithium 12 v battery and not led acid
I'm aware of the Taycan's lithium 12V battery and I have another CTEK maintainer that is specifically designed for lithium.

My CTEK 7002 with the supply function is indeed designed for lead acid batteries but I don't think that matters with respect to supplying 12v for opening the frunk. The only question I had was whether the 7002's 7A maximum current would be adequate for getting that done.

After reading @daveo4EV's reply above, I'm guessing the answer is yes.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find it a little disturbing that we have to be thinking this way

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I find it a little disturbing that we have to be thinking this way
Agree. I don’t even have my car yet and I have studied intently the steps necessary to boost the car. I had thought I would never need my Noco with a car that plugs in!!!

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
Reviving this thread after 2+ years...

So is there a generally recommended PORTABLE jump starter for a dead 12V battery that will both:

1) open the frunk
and
2) boost the 12V to wake up the electrical system

I have seen the NOCO Boost GB70 mentioned to do #1. Will it do #2 safely without starting a fire?

Would the CTEK Lithium US work for #1 and #2 (with its "open Under Voltage Protection") feature?
Sponsored