W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I thought the 2022 models were supposed to have some minor software based range improvements but I'm just not seeing it.
It's all down to how you drive to be able to tease out the mediocre quoted range increase - blink and you'll likely miss it.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
There is some voodoo involved and recup is triggered at a certain mileage 650 / 850 miles.

Two types of recup - Overrun & Braking. Overrun can be user configured - 3 states: OFF, ON = Overrun recuperation with moderate deceleration of the car, Auto = Variable adaptation of overrun recuperation based on data relating to the area around the vehicle - uses camera / sensors to follow the car in front and auto brakes when that car slows down and coasts otherwise.

My view is that you get more miles with free energy coasting than you do attempting to recuperate in either mode (Auto gives the best of both worlds in theory) so I normally coast (it coasts forever).

To really add miles to the battery you'd need to be driving and braking fairly aggressively i.e. like you stole it.
Yes coasting will be the most efficient based on the studies I have done.

Driving down the A5 by the time I get down the hill to the A5/A55 roundabout my plug in hybrid has gained 9 miles of range with just light regenerative braking over several miles.

I was just wondering if Porsche actually had something in the software guaranteeing good disc/pad contact for a while to make sure the new brakes were bedded in properly before reverting to maximum regenerative braking.
If I was the engineer in charge I would be asking the software guys to do this ;)

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
It's all down to how you drive to be able to tease out the mediocre quoted range increase - blink and you'll likely miss it.
I've resigned myself to driving it as nice as possible to try and see if my driving is the problem. @DerekS seems to get plenty of range and says he has a very heavy foot, as proven by his tire wear. :giggle:. Luckily I don't really need the range because I only drive 5-10 miles per day usually. I also never charge over 80% except once on a road trip.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, my range right now is definitely not top-tier due to cold weather, but I routinely got the below on several jaunts I took over the summer. 2020 4S with, gasp, 20“ all seasons on Turbo wheels, driving between 65-75 MPH. I took this right before a trip from south of Boston to Portland, ME and rolled into my destination with > 50% charge. Warm day, had the AC on and drove in Range mode up I-95.
Porsche Taycan Best Range Yet After 100% Charge 696314B5-5010-4AE9-806A-6C8EFF05552E

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes coasting will be the most efficient based on the studies I have done.

Driving down the A5 by the time I get down the hill to the A5/A55 roundabout my plug in hybrid has gained 9 miles of range with just light regenerative braking over several miles.

I was just wondering if Porsche actually had something in the software guaranteeing good disc/pad contact for a while to make sure the new brakes were bedded in properly before reverting to maximum regenerative braking.
If I was the engineer in charge I would be asking the software guys to do this ;)
If you search this forum you may find more details on this - in time most of the braking is done by the motors and not the pads. Once the initial running in period is over (650 / 850 miles - guess) then you can expect regular pad contact too in order to clear debris on the discs before reverting to 'recup ready'.

If your Porsche dealership has a 'Porsche Gold Technician' (mine has one for Taycans) have a chat with them as they will likely know the ins and outs.