Best road trip / route planners

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I am planning a long road trip, so I figured I would ask the community:
What are your favorite route planners to use on road trips? I come from Tesla, so I'm spoiled, as the built-in system does a great job planning routes, showing all the information one needs about charger locations, their current status, etc. It does a good job accounting for terrain and tracking energy usage between chargers.
Sponsored

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Honestly, best figure it out and calculate it yourself as the Porsche nav is awful for planning charges and estimating the SOC when reaching a destination. The fact it cannot actually update the SOC estimate when you're already lower than the predicted SOC % says it all. It's junk.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
a better route planner is great - and modify their plan to suite - along with plug share for quality control - use the in car nav for each segment to keep on top of consumption and predicted battery at destination so you can be sure you're going to make

while the "planning" aspect of the Porsche stuff isnt' that great -it's estimate as to consumption and battery at destination is EXCELLENT - so use it for each segment - having owned Teslas since 2012 I"m used to good in car nav w/good battery estimate at destination and I find the Porsche stuff equal in quality and accurancy.

ABRP + Plugshare + NAV for battery estimation for each segement works pretty well for me.

good luck!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I've only made one long-distance (as in multi-day) trip so far. I've relied on ABRP for research, but honestly it's not better at all than what the car does. I suspect it's because of the estimated consumption is all over the place in a real drive, and it's hard to know in advance what _yours_ will be. (As in, it's not just about elevation changes, but driving style - how you pass, heating etc.) Another thing to keep in mind is that your car will get broken in on this trip, and you'll see significant improvements in mileage/efficiency along the way.

With that out of the way, my algorithm would be:
- plan your individual day legs (with a good map online service)
- plot each day's itinerary in the car's nav - don't ask it for too long of a route
- use ABRP or other charge-related apps (EA, PlugShare or ChargePoint) to have an idea of potential charging stops - this acts as a check on the car's charging plan
- just drive and enjoy

I erred on the side of safer/less optimal stops, as I noticed the car would have suggested a stopover with 10% SoC despite me having set a min of 20. It's useful to adjust the right tunnel's line items to show time/distance to destination; this way you can have on a single screen your SoC, total range and remaining distance. I kept my driving adjusted so that these stay in sync (as in neither drops faster than the others).

Good luck!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Similar story with me. I use ABRP and PlugShare for my initial planning. While driving I use the Porsche nav and I keep Waze running via CarPlay to get alerts about police or road hazards. I use PlugShare to make sure I choose an overnight stop that has charging available and also to make sure the planned fast charging stations are working. I use the MyPorsche app to monitor my charging session if I need to walk away from the car. I’ve had a charging session error out shortly after walking away to find a restroom and I saw it happen on the MyPorsche app so I was able to get it started again quickly.

Note: The Taycan default consumption in ABRP is really wrong and overly conservative. I adjusted it to match reality.
Sponsored