Best Taycan entry point? Need your advice.

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
I’m a long-time 911 owner (currently own an 87, 97, 2021) and have been toying with getting into a Taycan. I was blown away by my test drive of the 4S last year.

While I could buy any model new, I’m thinking about buying a used model to hedge against changing battery tech and to take advantage of what seems like some good values in the pre-owned market.

So I’d love everyone’s advice…what’s the sweet spot of terms of year & trim? My cursory research leads me towards a 2020 Turbo but I’d love to get the group’s POV. The Turbo feels like 95% of the Turbo S performance and fast enough not to have buyers regret for getting a 4S and wanting more performance.

thanks!
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
If you prefer ceramic brakes and don't mind their cost, Turbo S may be worth that extra money. For performance the only difference versus Turbo is launch - driving performance is the same, with the same motors. A larger inverter in front with the Turbo S, yes, but the software is not set up to make use of it, it seems, except for launch.

Another thread here argues that a RWD Taycan is the best for active driving, with less weight in front and a different steering feel. So it depends, maybe they are all good in their own way.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
2020 models do not have plug and charge, which is nice feature when you do DC fast charging. Without plug and charge you must use app or credit card at DC chargers.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the quick feedback. Don’t really have use for PCCBs. Aside from having to use the app to charge vs plug n charge, any other meaningful differences between 20 and 21 models?

What about 4S vs Turbo?

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
……..personally, I would stick to what you have, far more character than any EV at the moment!

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
……..personally, I would stick to what you have, far more character than any EV at the moment!
Definitely not getting rid of any of the 911s :)

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Every individual will have their own take on the best approach to speccing a Taycan. From my perspective, I would suggest driving a RWD with coil spring suspension and 20” wheels with summer tires to see how you like it. There are pluses and minuses to 19”, 20”, and 21” wheels/tires on a Taycan. Having driven a RWD with all 3 sizes my opinion is 20” is a good compromise. Personally after having had too many problems with bent rims I’m past wishing to deal with larger wheels that have been damaged by potholes, etc. Though if you are after lower unsprung weight you can always go with aftermarket carbon fiber or magnesium wheels for summer tires if money is no object. As with any car the right tires are really important and can really affect how a car feels. I’ve been partial to Michelin summer tires over the years. I’m waiting for the Michelin 5 series to become available for the Taycan.

Having said that there are arguments for the 4S, GTS, Turbo and Turbo S. But from my perspective a RWD is quick enough. This is coming from someone who has driven many cars of numerous marques as well as ridden very powerful street motorcycles, motocrossers, raced go-karts, etc.

If you live and drive in the winter I’d suggest 19” wheels with 225 fronts and 275 rears. Though I’ve been tempted to try a square 19” setup w/225 width for winter tires but haven‘t actually done so as of yet.

As for which options to get, there are many, many opinions All of which have validity. Personally I chose a metal roof, ACC, Technology package, 14-way seats, and insulated glass along with other less important options.

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I have a 2020 Turbo and I have been satisfied with the performance. I drove the 4S but liked the color and options of the Turbo. I am not sure if the 2021s are better than the 2020s in terms of battery failures. I have a problem with no LTE connection with the car awaiting a fix.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Thanks for the quick feedback. Don’t really have use for PCCBs. Aside from having to use the app to charge vs plug n charge, any other meaningful differences between 20 and 21 models?

What about 4S vs Turbo?
I had a 4S and now have a Turbo. I posted a thread on it a while ago. If the money makes no difference I would get the Turbo although the 4S is a fantastic car. I wouldn't be unhappy if I had never changed. The 0.8s 0-60 difference doesn't sound much, but it is quite a big difference when you are driving! But you can't use it that often.
This is a link to the thread. It gets a bit hijacked by people getting worked up about it but explains how I came to change and my thoughts when I did

My move from Taycan 4S to Turbo -- real difference is the way it drives | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan Owners, News, Discussions, Forums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My 2 cents… with a Turbo S, you won’t have any doubts later on if you made the right choice. And when buying used, like I did, the price difference between the models likely won’t be as significant vs. when buying new as the top trims depreciate like crazy in this current market.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I also could have gotten any of them and landed on the CT 4S with a performance pkg….its awesome. I’ve generally been more more into handling than straight line launches. I still have never used launch control and probably could have gotten by with a CT4 but I am very happy with my choice.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’m a long-time 911 owner (currently own an 87, 97, 2021) and have been toying with getting into a Taycan. I was blown away by my test drive of the 4S last year.

While I could buy any model new, I’m thinking about buying a used model to hedge against changing battery tech and to take advantage of what seems like some good values in the pre-owned market.

So I’d love everyone’s advice…what’s the sweet spot of terms of year & trim? My cursory research leads me towards a 2020 Turbo but I’d love to get the group’s POV. The Turbo feels like 95% of the Turbo S performance and fast enough not to have buyers regret for getting a 4S and wanting more performance.

thanks!
Some great deals on Turbos, that’s the sweet spot

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

thanks!
if I could I'd target GTS - PCCB's are a waste of money on a vehicle w/90% regen and can't run flat out for more than 20 minutes without overheating the battery or actually running out of battery power…

GTS/Turbo/TurboS are (and do) feel very simillar to each other, other than in launch control - and the GTS is "more special" in my opinion.

but it's hard to go wrong with any of these choices - it might come down to options mix - I'd focus more on the actual "build of the vehicle" and kinda of ignore the "performance" trim aspect - all EV's have instant/ample torque and are "quick" - so now we're down to comfort and options.

my $0.02

my next Taycan post .2 refresh will be either a GTS/Turbo - no PCCB's (they are pointless on this vehicle) - I have a 2020 Taycan Turbo - love it - but will bump to next version when I have opportunity and a refresh to bump to.

honestly once you're down to a GTS/Turbo/TurboS the next most important thing is Seats, Color, Wheels and options…those will "pay dividends" every day vs. minute performance differences under launch control between those 3 trim levels.

welcome and enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited: