gwestr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
  • Banned
For any one of the 30,000 people that didn’t refund their deposit today, what tow vehicle are you using to take the Taycan to the track? Also, what is the second track car that you’re taking with you when the Taycan runs of batteries in 20 laps and needs to be towed home?
Sponsored

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
For any one of the 30,000 people that didn’t refund their deposit today, what tow vehicle are you using to take the Taycan to the track? Also, what is the second track car that you’re taking with you when the Taycan runs of batteries in 20 laps and needs to be towed home?
Jealous much?

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
The fact that this thread exists is a direct reflection on the gaping hole in OP's life where friends should be.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche intentionally omitted the 4S trim from launch, so I get why OP is frustrated. The Turbo S trim was always going to be like Panamera Hybrid turbo S money, and lo it is right on target. I think a lot of folks were hoping the regular turbo would be more carrera priced. A nice premium over a model S. Alas, it’s more 911 turbo priced. Given the ridiculous sight unseen preorder deposits and overall market demand, I’m the opposite of surprised

OP
OP
gwestr

gwestr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • Banned
I think I’m just tired of being lied to by VW Group. Under $100k and range over 300 miles was promised. Elon may be late but he’s under budget and ahead of the professional car makers, in terms of specs ordinary car buyers want (price, range, battery longevity, 0-60).

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
I think I’m just tired of being lied to by VW Group. Under $100k and range over 300 miles was promised. Elon may be late but he’s under budget and ahead of the professional car makers, in terms of specs ordinary car buyers want (price, range, battery longevity, 0-60).
Why are you posting here.....from day one you have only been talking about how great your daddy's Tesla is. Elon Musk is brilliant, he literally sends out tweets because he WANTS people to buy other EV so that electric vehicle become the mainstream vehicle. You just repeatedly post little childish posts about how much you love your car better. I get that, as I plan on buying the Tesla Y as my "work vehicle," Tesla is for met the best car for upper middle class Americans, although he promised it for the masses.

The Porsche is precisely NOT what ordinary car buyers want. That is exactly why Porsche is a niche auto seller and why the Taycan will be my 6th Porsche. It is brand of exclusivity, based on a long heritage of producing high performance vehicles. It exudes an image of power and success, for both the car and the owner. Tesla's is an image of being a modern and "cool" car. That is why a love both and plan on owning both (if Musk keeps his promise about the production dates of the Y, which a have ZERO faith in his timetables, but lots of faith in his Vehicles. If you read the posts of the many people on here that own Tesla's (other than you), they all praise the Tesla, but all recognize these cars are for two different markets for two different types of people. Your comparison would be like 15 years ago comparing a 6 cylinder Honda Accord to a Lexus LS400, and ranting and raving about how much better the mileage is and better bang for the buck than the Lexus, or comparing a Corvette ZR1 to a Porsche Carrera......sorry different markets, different buyers.

The Tesla is a great car, but it is not a performance sports car.....just let anyone drive it....Yes its a great car, but it has a cheap steering system and suspension, so it can drive fast, but its DOES NOT HANDLE LIKE A REAL SPORTS CAR....PERIOD. Hence, the Tesla is by far a superior everyday car, Porsche is by FAR A SUPPERIOR SPORTS CAR. i will have both!

OP
OP
gwestr

gwestr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
  • Banned
Is VW Group going to cancel this car? I can’t see them selling more than like 1500 of them. Americans just don’t buy that many $200k cars. We’re not rich enough as a country.

Which begs the question - why are any of us posting here? This car is vaporware. None of the press is even allowed to drive it because you will find out it gets well under 200 miles of range at 75 MPH.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Is VW Group going to cancel this car? I can’t see them selling more than like 1500 of them. Americans just don’t buy that many $200k cars. We’re not rich enough as a country.

Which begs the question - why are any of us posting here? This car is vaporware. None of the press is even allowed to drive it because you will find out it gets well under 200 miles of range at 75 MPH.
Why don’t you just stay @ Eletrek or Teslarati if you hate Porsche so much? Your crap is tiresome

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag

More childish posts from the little boy that dreams about his daddy's model 3......
Yes indeed, usually children are not able to afford a 200k car. So go to your little playroom and cry, and figure out some career choices so that you can afford expensive luxury and sports cars. Really, seriously, can you develop some maturity. Everyone laughs at you when they read your posts. You are not contributing to a mature discussion.

The Taycan is priced out EXACTLY the same as the Panamera, and Porsche actually now sells more Panamera than Tesla sells Model S. And everyone can expect the base model and 4s to be priced out as the Panamera. Tesla is a car for the masses, Porsche is car for the elite.

Average Household income of Porsche buyer: $511,000
(carsofhtm.com)

Average Household income of Mercedes buyer: $250,000
(carsofhtm.com)

Average Household income of Tesla: $143,777
(hedge company.com)

Average USA median household income: $61,372

I always estimated that most people that buy a new car will buy one that is about 50% of their annual income, any more and they are too smart in financial planning. I think that is fairly accurate at pretty much any income level, except the very low and the very high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gwestr

gwestr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche is a car for people who live in the last century. This Taycan is the laughing stock of the Internet. They could have gotten away with this pricing 15 years ago, maybe 2006 model year. Today it shows what a deep recession Germany is in for. They really are painted into a corner.

Lol nobody with $511k household income is buying a Taycan Turbo. They get a Tesla because they’re smart and they have other expenses like mortgage, kids, etc.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche is a car for people who live in the last century. This Taycan is the laughing stock of the Internet. They could have gotten away with this pricing 15 years ago, maybe 2006 model year. Today it shows what a deep recession Germany is in for. They really are painted into a corner.

Lol nobody with $511k household income is buying a Taycan Turbo. They get a Tesla because they’re smart and they have other expenses like mortgage, kids, etc.
Again, a childish response from your end....really? Porsche, just like Tesla, is smart and first sells the expensive model to those that can afford it to squeeze out maximum revenue while it ramps up manufacturing over the next year,. I know its very frustrating for those that budgeted $115-$130 for a 4S, which represents lots on the this forum. Just think objectively rather than spewing raw emotion. People will then listen to you rather than laughing at the fanboi.

I really like the Tesla and hope the Tesla revamps the Model S with technology it is developing for the Roadster 2 for steering and stability control as well as battery temperature management, all of which at this point, Tesla still lags far behind Porsche., and I also hope some of the technology will also go to the Model Y. On the Porsche end, it has already been announced several months ago that Porsche is developing new battery technology. But Porsche can run a race track on its first model, the Model S to this day has not been able to. The Tesla's have a battery temperature management system that works wonderfully for everyday driving, but NOT as a sports car. Hopefully it is or already has improved!

Now the facts.....it's a different demographic that buys Porsches and buys Teslas, as shown on my previous research on the income levels of the average Porsche NEW car buyer which has 3.5 times the income of the average Tesla buyer. Of course there is overlap, especially since the Tesla has a "coolness high tech image," but totally different income levels. i for one, a lifetime Porsche buyer, will also buy a Tesla when they catch up in the quality of the interior, steering and stability.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

they will sell thousands of them, just like the panamera hybrid, and then release the taycan 4S. And then a cross over. And then a Macan. And then v2 of this car. It’ll likely face a tough sell after the next Tesla roadster (also vaporware). Tesla could rev the model S to crush this, but won’t. They have more important problems.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Track?
Sorry but I'm not quite old enough to be tracking a 4-door sedan.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
None.

I live in Milwaukee and I'm a member of the Autobahn Country Club just south west of Chicago. While I use a GMC 2500 Denali Diesel to tow my BMW M4 dedicated Track car the 120 miles to the track at the club, I will be DRIVING the Taycan Turbo S I now have on order. (Just as I do with my BMW i8 Roadster). We have an EV charging station at the club as well as numerous NEMA 6-50P (RV) 50A outlets that can be used to charge an EV.

A really good lap time on our south track for a GT class car would be 1:30...and a typical track session lasts 20-25 minutes. So for a really hot 25 minute session, that's just over 16 laps. Assuming you're correct (which I'm not) 20 laps should be more than sufficient to run a complete session and I can simply drive off the track. (and then top up my charge between sessions)

Glad to be helpful! Any other questions?

Last edited:

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
, what is the second track car that you’re taking with you when the Taycan runs of batteries in 20 laps and needs to be towed home?
Ummmm......I think its the Tesla that has to be towed off the race track....:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

Watch several Taycans and other Porsches pass the dead Tesla....:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/watch-4-porsches-lap-tesla-151800325.html

Everyone keeps touting the superiority of the Tesla battery, not understanding that Porsche went NOT for range, but sustainability, which this embarassing Tesla incident proves Porsche's great battery engineering feat. I have no doubt, that Tesla turned off the software to automatically shut off performance mode on the Tesla to try to show off speed, and because the Tesla does NOT have a good temperature management system, the battery overheated causing vehicle failure. I am sure Tesla is working on a better system, but obviously have not accomplished that. Tesla will have to do two things, go to an 800volt system like the Taycan, and/or substantially improve their cooling system....So far, they obviously have failed, and stupidly in front of the entire world. I am sure every car maker will have similar issues to overcome, but TEST your vehicle and make sure it works...... (like say a million miles like the Taycan was tested), BEFORE you go and show off you failed prototype to the world!! I do have confidence that Tesla will eventually have great temperature management system , but obviously not yet.

The Taycan repeatablity and sustained performance CANNOT be overstated. It is what the Porsche engineers were after, and it seems they succeeded! And of course, hopefully with the next generation of batteries, bigger range will be accomplished.
Sponsored