Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ?

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Same here - cannot figure out that either. Mine shows voltage, battery remaining, and that the phone is connected to the car.
You can edit what it shows in the car settings.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolf F

Wolf F

First Name
Wolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 488 GTB
Country flag
Porsche checked the capacity of my batterie. Very very disapointing. Capacity is at 90.3 percent.
And this after 5 month and little more then 20.000 miles.

Tesla can run about 200.000 miles with 10% degradation.

Seams Porsche makes something wrong. I guess temperature at charging is too high. At my car up to 127 degress F.

I guess most of you will get similar degradations soon.

Very dissapointing for this expensive car.

you can chance the settings for the displays.

Porsche Taycan Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ? F37D0822-EDA0-4996-9978-2B6BF0070FAC

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That does not sound good! What did Porsche say about it?

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Porsche checked the capacity of my batterie. Very very disapointing. Capacity is at 90.3 percent.

Tesla can run about 200.000 miles with 10% degradation.

Seams Porsche makes something wrong. I guess temperature at charging is too high. At my car up to 127 degress F.

I guess most of you will get similar degradations soon.

Very dissapointing for this expensive car.

you can chance the settings for the displays.

F37D0822-EDA0-4996-9978-2B6BF0070FAC.png
Are they going to replace it? It's not in breach of the warranty yet but I'd be giving the dealer a hard time about it.

While as you say this is really not acceptable in such an expensive car I don't think you can infer that "most" people will have the same issue.

Clearly not unheard of with Teslas either:

Porsche Taycan Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ? screen-shot-2018-04-14-at-2-54-02-pm

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You should confirm with them:
1. Do they mean usable capacity or total capacity
2. What is the usable capacity
3. How exactly did they figure it out

I ask the last one since it is either by some direct measurement that only Porsche does or some calculated way that everyone can do.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all. Just joined the forum but have been a dedicated guest reader since June. I've never owned a Porsche but I've always wanted to and I've been a committed EV driver for 6 years, mostly as my commuter car. Initially, I saw EVs as a way to both help the environment and also help me navigate the brutal Bay Area commute. I tried to embrace the Model S but I just could never tolerate the interior at that price point so I basically leased a Leaf for practically zero cost as I always charge at work. I understood the battery degradation issues but I was fine with it because of the aforementioned reasons. I always kept my leases short so I could pounce when I saw the EV I really wanted. The minute I saw the Mission E concept car, I knew I was getting that car. I also never buy first generation cars and I knew Porsche's initial foray into the EV space would be rocky, particularly on the software side, so I reluctantly resigned myself to waiting for the 2021 model.

So now the reason for my post. All the issues I've been reading about (12v battery, PCM software, etc) have validated my decision to wait for 2021 model but they never really dissuaded me from buying the Taycan because I think Porsche will *eventually* fix them and the bad issues like the 12v battery problems are clearly covered under warranty. I also knew the battery warranty was a HUGE grey area given the warranty terms so I was always concerned about battery degradation that was just bad enough NOT to be covered by the warranty. I don't know about all of you, but if I found out my $150K-$250k car now has 10-25% battery degradation and is not covered by the warranty terms, I'd be just as angry as Wolf is. As Wolf has not yet responded to some of the very good followup questions posed, I took it upon myself to ask my local dealer with whom I have placed my order some "hypothetical" questions about Wolf's scenario. The response was as I expected: the battery degradation is not yet within the warranty terms so not covered. I then called the Porsche dealer service department and posed the hypothetical question: Suppose I wanted to replace the 10% damaged battery cells, is it possible and how much would that cost ? He had no idea what I was talking about and said he would get back to me. After doing the research, he called me back and said no such repair is possible today at this dealership (not a surprise with a first gen EV) and he had no idea what it would cost in the future. Has anyone tried this type of repair on a Tesla ? The cost of this repair would figure into my decision making as I had planned to own this car for many years.

I think we need more details from Wolf to accurately ascertain what happened here, but the battery has always been my greatest area of concern with such a large EV investment. Is there a problem with the Taycan battery management software/design ? Given what we have seen in other areas of the car, it certainly would not be shocking. Why did Porsche add the "Battery Preservation" feature in the 2021 car ? Did Porsche realize there is a real battery degradation issue when charging issue over 200kW ? Very few drivers have put the type of mileage on their cars that Wolf has so I'm not sure if this is a real issue or Wolf is the unlucky one with the defective battery that Porsche may not make whole. I'm also assuming Porsche has confirmed that 10% of the usable capacity has been lost.

Anyway, my build lock date is in a few weeks so I'd love to see more closure on this issue before I have to decide. As has been noted here, the PorscheUSA lease terms are pretty bad so doing a lease to mitigate the risk is not an attractive option to me either. I guess I have to answer whether I am willing to live with 200-225 miles of average range (or pay to fix it myself) if Wolf's battery issue proves to be a legitimate problem that Porsche cannot correct. I'd love to hear the thought process from other Taycan owners if faced with Wolf's issue.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd love to hear the thought process from other Taycan owners if faced with Wolf's issue.
There is no evidence that @Wolf F actually has an issue. The "degradation" he is reporting could simply be reserved battery capacity. None of the longer term Taycan owners on this forum have reported actual battery degradation.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The long term study of model S owners found charging with DC fast chargers caused considerably more degradation than your standard at home charging. Fast chargers are not an every time kind of food.

also, keep the battery within the 20-80% range as much as feasible. Being outside that range is also tough on the batteries.

nothing wrong with driving to empty and fast charging once in a while. It’s a car. Drive it. But if that’s your regular behavior, then you should expect lower than average longevity.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
As most have experienced, at delivery the display said the estimated range at 100% charge was about 201 miles. Once you start driving the car, it quickly begins to increase. I have used a mixture of EA DC chargers and AC charging with the PMCC set to 85% SOC. Yesterday, I drove around in Sport+ the entire time. The SOC of charge was 67% when I got home last night. This morning I noticed that the display indicated that at 85% SOC the estimated range even after taking into account yesterday's spirited driving was 246 miles (289 miles at 100%). It is the highest range that I have seen since I got the car in April. Typically it is about 235 miles at 85% SOC.
Porsche Taycan Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ? 20201007_070150_resized

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The long term study of model S owners found charging with DC fast chargers
How fast are the Tesla DC fast chargers that cause the issue?
Any indication whether the issue with fast charging is linear or non-linear. For instance, is 50kw 5 times worse than 9.6 or is it just several times worse, but when you get to 150kw, it is much more than 3 times worse than 50kw?

OP
OP
Wolf F

Wolf F

First Name
Wolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 488 GTB
Country flag
Porsche says, batterie is better then 80%, so everything is perfect.

Wolf