Bettery Degradation after 6 Month - 11% can it be ?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It is not a secret battery degradation will be the most in the beginning.
After that it'll stabilize and degradate at a much slower rate but like previous members already said: not one trip is the same.
I don't think you can draw such a solid conclusion.
You need more (relative) data to be exact and have a valid claim.
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I'll throw out the possibility that the Taycan computer may not be accurately reporting kWh/KM. Maybe a specific error on this trip, or some greater error in the way the computer calculates energy usage.

Will you be taking the same or similar trip anytime soon? It would be interesting to see if you get similar results.

OP
OP
Wolf F

Wolf F

First Name
Wolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 488 GTB
Country flag
Always IONITY charging? Always to 100%? Always fast German highway driving? More info, please?
I charge in general to 80-85%.
Maybe 5 times to 100% When I have to drive a long distance.
Normaly I charge at home, about 5% of the charges at Ionity.

In general you can not drive very fast on german highways.
I think problem is the temperature at Ionity with 123.8 F

Wolf

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
You know the computer simply maintains an average "range" based on your driving style and habits, right?

I saw my range climb pretty dramatically after I took delivery as most of my driving is around town (45-55 mph) 85% charge went from about 180 to well over 200 miles...

Have your driving habits changed? Have you been flogging it lately? Letting the kid(s) drive it?

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is there a way to log the battery status over time? Through the app or online? This issue makes me think it would be nice to be able to keep a record of the battery health over time.

Mr-Propper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera
Country flag
I think they know the problem and this is one reason they build a new function in MJ21: I write this in german: Neue Funktion"Batterieschonendes Laden". Manuell einstellbar über das Zentraldisplay, um an geeigneter Infrastruktur (u.a. IONITY) anstatt mit der maximal möglichen Ladeleistung von bis zu 270kW mit maximal ca. 200 kW zu laden. Kundennutzen ist eine Schonung der Batterie über Lebensdauer, eine geringere Verlustleistung beim Laden und eine geringere Batterietemperatur nach dem Ladevorgang .

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think they know the problem and this is one reason they build a new function in MJ21: I write this in german: Neue Funktion"Batterieschonendes Laden". Manuell einstellbar über das Zentraldisplay, um an geeigneter Infrastruktur (u.a. IONITY) anstatt mit der maximal möglichen Ladeleistung von bis zu 270kW mit maximal ca. 200 kW zu laden. Kundennutzen ist eine Schonung der Batterie über Lebensdauer, eine geringere Verlustleistung beim Laden und eine geringere Batterietemperatur nach dem Ladevorgang .
Translated to English:

New function "Battery-saving charging". Manually adjustable via the central display in order to charge at a suitable infrastructure (including IONITY) instead of with the maximum possible charging power of up to 270kW with a maximum of approx. 200 kW. Customer benefit is the protection of the battery over its service life, lower power loss during charging and a lower battery temperature after the charging process.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Have you normally been charging to 85% or 100% ? Have you used Ionity or similar very often ? If the warranty is for 80% and 60,000 kms., I am afraid yours is close to the limit. Ouch.
32,000km is not close to 60,000 km by my math...

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
32,000km is not close to 60,000 km by my math...
By extrapolation ... I would guess at the current rate of degradation it would be very close. I may be wrong though ...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Nearly all the charging had been done at home and I guess at max 11 kW then? 95% of charging at home should be very suitable for the battery. And the figures in the display about a long drive make sense as well?

I think it might be worth a trip to the shop and see if they can hook it up on their system and give an explanation.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By extrapolation ... I would guess at the current rate of degradation it would be very close. I may be wrong though ...
That’s pretty bad if true then and goes against Porsche’s normal conservative outlook on stats. I would expect the car to just be bedding in at 32,000 kms, not showing signs of decline...

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have had my Taycan Turbo for 5 months now and have already put on 6,500 miles, including a 2,500 mile road trip where I charged most of the time at EA Level 3 chargers. Most of the rest of the charging has been done at home on my 40 amp garage charger, charging up to 85%. I have had no battery degradation that I can detect at all. In fact, at 100% charging prior to a road trip I’m taking tomorrow, it says I have 269 miles of range. This compares to about 250 miles of range the computer was predicting at full charge when I first got the car.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had my Taycan Turbo for 5 months now and have already put on 6,500 miles, including a 2,500 mile road trip where I charged most of the time at EA Level 3 chargers. Most of the rest of the charging has been done at home on my 40 amp garage charger, charging up to 85%. I have had no battery degradation that I can detect at all. In fact, at 100% charging prior to a road trip I’m taking tomorrow, it says I have 269 miles of range. This compares to about 250 miles of range the computer was predicting at full charge when I first got the car.
@kwrudy123 What does 85% SOC give you in terms of miles on average and is that with 20s or 21 inch wheels?

Last edited:

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Does anyone have an OBD tool to be able to read direction measurements from the car? This would be the most accurate route.

Hook up the tool when the car is relatively low on charge, and then monitor the charging data while charging to 100%.
Sponsored