First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 RS, G550, EQS580+
Country flag
I came here to post the same thing.

It doesn't seem "inventive" however.. this is a problem that was difficult to solve. Similar issues with early Tesla Model S / X and the charging logic (dictated by the onboard charger). It does seem relevant, although short on evidence.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
So is this the AC charger they are talking about ? And is it the same for the standard and the 22kW ones?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Bizarro world.

Took only seconds to find this. "The 800V architecture of the Taycan, a vehicle the German automaker is proud of, has many advantages, but the strong current requires a very well-controlled charging process to avoid charging some cells faster than others."

800v requires LESS current for the same power. That's the whole point of 800v.

There is a bullshit cottage industry out there of misinformation, deception and dumbness.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
So, if your Taycan remains parked outside - exposed to the direct sunlight - for two weeks, Porsche would drop your battery warranty down to 60,000 km (37,500 miles)??? What happens after three weeks? Porsche comes to evict you from your home and seizes it?

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
hmmmm - many contradictory statements in that article - I would guess something is up - but this article is not it…but if Porsche replaced my onboard charger would I get Plug&Charge? :rock:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the warranty that applies to my car (Republic of Ireland/UK) direct from Porsche. Where are all these additional conditions on high-voltage battery warranty coming from ?

Attachments

Reactions: B61

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Why would the charger be different in the E-tron if they share so much of the platform?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would someone with serious info like this whistleblower contact a Tesla orientated site (I'd never heard of it) and not something like Financial Times or similar. They'd have the resources and processes to verify this.

The article mentions that the motivation for the whistleblower is to highlight the safety issues that they are bringing to light.

It just seems like a strange publication to do this with – unless other publishers rejected the story.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Why would someone with serious info like this whistleblower contact a Tesla orientated site (I'd never heard of it) and not something like Financial Times or similar. They'd have the resources and processes to verify this.

The article mentions that the motivation for the whistleblower is to highlight the safety issues that they are bringing to light.

It just seems like a strange publication to do this with – unless other publishers rejected the story.
As a former journalist, I find this to be normal. An FT writer won't care until a few industry specific blogs pick it up and start writing about it -- then they might dig in. Normally going to a reporter with this type of content leads them to shelve it as its too risky to just run with it.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
While I'm not saying this is BS or not, its possible that none of us have seen this problem:

"The problem occurs when the batteries are charged at a low AC speed of up to 7.5 KW, a common use case for all charging, such as at home or on low-speed chargers, the source said. "

On a 240v EVSE, this would be 30 amps or less. I know my EVSE is 40 amps so according to this article, I wouldn't be affected? How many people charge at 7.5kw or less? Is low AC charging rate up to 75kw common?

"The problem affects six of ten delivered vehicles"

Maybe, but if few people charge below 7.5kw, maybe this problem is not seen in the real world?

Confusing even more is the premise of this article: that "the Taycan’s 800V high-voltage onboard charger used today does not control the charging process well enough and can overcharge some battery cells ". Which seems to imply this is a high voltage DC charging issue, not a low-speed. low voltage charging issue.

Confusing? BS? Who knows.

OP
OP
porsche_coyote

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
While I'm not saying this is BS or not, its possible that none of us have seen this problem:

"The problem occurs when the batteries are charged at a low AC speed of up to 7.5 KW, a common use case for all charging, such as at home or on low-speed chargers, the source said. "

On a 240v EVSE, this would be 30 amps or less. I know my EVSE is 40 amps so according to this article, I wouldn't be affected? How many people charge at 7.5kw or less?

"The problem affects six of ten delivered vehicles"

Maybe, but if few people charge below 7.5kw, maybe this problem is not seen in the real world?

Confusing even more is the premise of this article: that "the Taycan’s 800V high-voltage onboard charger used today does not control the charging process well enough and can overcharge some battery cells ". Which seems to imply this is a high voltage DC charging issue, not a low-speed. low voltage charging issue.

Confusing? BS? Who knows.
I routinely charge at public level 2 chargers that charge at 5.5 kW (at my office, for example). In fact, you'll find a lot of commercial locations in the US with such low-power chargers because of the way power is delivered to those locations; they get three-phase 208V power rather than split-phase 240-volt power that residential locations in the US get.

I'll add: I haven't seen any battery issues, period. I've had my frustrations with the car, but the HV battery has been trouble-free.
Sponsored