Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Well recently Porsche seem to be requesting some to charge at no more than 6kW if you have the 22kW charger and are on single phase.
... they recommend you to keep the 11kw standard if you only have 1 phase electricity at home....
To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW).
The charging power limit recommendation does not relate to the 'standard' (included for free) 11kw charger. It seems to be related to the optional 22kw charger. If this is correct, you should NOT order the 22kw charger if you have single phase power since why pay for a 22kw charger if Porsche recommends it be used at no more than 6kw?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
There is much that goes on inside the walls of Porsche that we don't know about. This could be 100% true for all we know.

In the meantime, I'll keep driving my car, charging at 40A and relying on my 8 year battery warranty. Not losing sleep over this.

Foreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i8 roadster
Country flag
Reading this makes me uncomfortable charging in my garage, since I live above it. I hope the accuracy of this gets sorted out soon! I have a turbo s on order and don’t think a car so costly should require these worries or not be able to be charged at home

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
FWIW, this author regularly posts unsubstantiated rumors on Twitter from his "sources" that turn out to be false. Particularly if it's positive rumors on Tesla, of which he owns substantial stock. Not saying this rumor can't be true but I'd take Alex Voigt with a massive grain of salt.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I found the whole article confusing and poorly written - it may or may not be true - and I have my doubts, but also this _IS_ Porsche/VW/Audi group so my level of trust is minimal - the 800V thing vs. the AC charging below 7.5 kW thing is very confusing and poorly presented - also the whole repair vs. non-repair vs. serial number is also poorly presented and very confused

I'm sure the writer has a positive Tesla bias and would love VW/Audi/Porsche group to have issues

that being said - the warranty claims in the article also seem bogus and the US warranty is better than what is presented

all in all I'm sure Porsche has learned a lot with this 1st product and I'm sure there are short comings in the current Taycan's - as to how many problems will manifest themselves with these sorts of outcomes are very unclear

at the end of the day it won't matter unless we all decide to return our vehicle's and make Porsche buy them back and for that we'd need actual problems or proof of a defect they are not addressing…

a fire for example would be proof of an existing problem they are not addressing…

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Reading this makes me uncomfortable charging in my garage, since I live above it. I hope the accuracy of this gets sorted out soon! I have a turbo s on order and don’t think a car so costly should require these worries or not be able to be charged at home
I would not worry too much...

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
The charging power limit recommendation does not relate to the 'standard' (included for free) 11kw charger. It seems to be related to the optional 22kw charger. If this is correct, you should NOT order the 22kw charger if you have single phase power since why pay for a 22kw charger if Porsche recommends it be used at no more than 6kw?
Why not, in my case 22kW on the move is far
more valuable than losing rate at home
by switching to 24A. I’m never ever charge constrained at home. Being able to fill the car in half a day at a destination charger, or get a decent charge over lunch when no DC is available (i.e. anywhere off main routes) is invaluable to me.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
they are specifically accusing Porsche of fraud by swapping out batteries and changing the serial numbers. (odd since i have no idea what my battery serial number is and wouldn’t care if they decided to give me a new one)

that is a really serious charge.

besides the one incident almost 2 years ago, has anyone seen any other Tesla fires?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC