Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
they are specifically accusing Porsche of fraud by swapping out batteries and changing the serial numbers. (odd since i have no idea what my battery serial number is and wouldn’t care if they decided to give me a new one)

that is a really serious charge.

besides the one incident almost 2 years ago, has anyone seen any other Tesla fires?
Tesla fires or Taycan fires? There was one Taycan fire in Florida about 2 years ago, which is the only one that I know of.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a few moments ago I received an email from a Tesla fan and friend gloating and referencing this article. Let the bullshit fly!
One would expect a more thorough fact-checking effort from a serious peer-reviewed scientific journal like teslarati.com

WilliamG

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
Country flag
Hey guys, just registered to respond to this thread, as a Tesla Model S Plaid owner (errr... yeah, I know). I'm here to say that the Teslarati article appears to be complete nonsense.

Look at the evidence (or lack thereof). Also, they've taken the "considerations" for "best practices" for battery care, and modified it.

Here's what Alex wrote in his article (bold is mine, for effect):

A REMARKABLY SHORT WARRANTY
An apparent hint of Porsche’s challenges with the Taycan’s battery could be seen in the warranty for the all-electric sports car, which happens to be one of the lowest on the market with just 60,000 km or three years if following conditions (Porsche Warranty Requirements) are not met:

Vehicles standing longer than two weeks supposed to be connected to a charger

• Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
  • Customers must make sure that their Taycan is not exposed to continuous sunlight
Vehicles standing longer than two weeks not connected to a charger

• Customers must charge the Taycan’s battery before to 50%
  • Customers must check every three months and assure SoC remains at or above 20%
  • Customers must assure that their vehicle’s temperature is between 0C – 20C
While 160,000 km is an average battery warranty in the industry, Porsche confirmed to me the 100,000 km lower, 60,000 km warranty and its restrictions.

------------

Now, - this is what the ACTUAL Porsche website states:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/bev/

A lithium-ion battery is subject to physical and chemical ageing, as well as wear and tear. This reduces the battery capacity, depending on the usage pattern and environmental conditions, resulting in a reduction in range and an increase in charging times as the battery ages. Due to the effect of temperature on battery and charging performance, as well as battery life, please consider the following when parking, driving and charging your car:

If possible, avoid permanent ambient temperatures of over 30°C, such as prolonged parking in direct sunlight.

If you cannot avoid ambient temperatures of over 30°C when stationary, connect the vehicle to the mains supply after use and charge the high-voltage battery with AC (alternating current) to a maximum charge status of 85%.

If the car is left stationary for more than two weeks, the ambient temperature should, if possible, be between 0°C and 20°C and the battery charge status maintained between 20% and 50% during this time.
For the shortest possible charging time, a battery temperature of approx. 30°C to 35°C is ideal.

If charging the car on a daily basis, the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%.

---------

There's quite a difference between must and if possible. You can't just modify a warranty without informing customers, and honestly - this article is FUD in the worst possible way, as written.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
as written
_NOT_ calling out @WilliamG - just picking on his "two words" from his posting

article "as written" - this made me ROFL - cause it's level of writing is atrocious - honestly it is.

the articles writing is awful and lacks any concern for clarity of thought, purpose or communcation - there is an coherent piece in there somewhat - but what ever literary goal is present is overwhelmed by poor composition, lack of clear communication, and muddled prose - the writing is just so bad it makes it hard for me to take anything it has to say seriously and the claims if true would be liable and shocking - too bad it's done at a 4th grade essay level with no clarity of thought or purpose - however if this was shown to me by my children in 4th grade and they had written it - lots and lots of editing would've ensued prior to turning it in.

I'm open to the idea of Porsche/VW being bad people - they have a history - but OMG - they are such an easy target at least do a competent job of explaining yourself.

WilliamG

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
Country flag
_NOT_ calling out @WilliamG - just picking on his "two words" from his posting

article "as written" - this made me ROFL - cause it's level of writing is atrocious - honestly it is.

the articles writing is awful and lacks any concern for clarity of thought, purpose or communcation - there is an coherent piece in there somewhat - but what ever literary goal is present is overwhelmed by poor composition, lack of clear communication, and muddled prose - the writing is just so bad it makes it hard for me to take anything it has to say seriously and the claims if true would be liable and shocking - too bad it's done at a 4th grade essay level with no clarity of thought or purpose - however if this was shown to me by my children in 4th grade and they had written it - lots and lots of editing would've ensued prior to turning it in.

I'm open to the idea of Porsche/VW being bad people - they have a history - but OMG - they are such an easy target at least do a competent job of explaining yourself.
Oh, don't get me started on the muddled mess of prose. I'm trying to focus on the facts as written (of which there are... well... are there any?).

Absolutely the VW group has a history, but if you're going to go about proving anything here, Alex has gone a pretty poor way about it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Oh, don't get me started on the muddled mess of prose. I'm trying to focus on the facts as written (of which there are... well... are there any?).

Absolutely the VW group has a history, but if you're going to go about proving anything here, Alex has gone a pretty poor way about it.
100% agree

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You know, this whole article stinks and I smell a rat!

I doubt the article’s veracity as what is alleged simply doesn’t square with my experience with either my Taycan or Porsche the company. But if even a smidge of what’s alleged in the article is true, Porsche is opening up themselves to a “Dieselgate” level of shit and as a division of VW, I would think they would have learned their lesson from that disaster. I call bullshit!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
with number of Taycan’s I am seeing everywhere, the success Porsche has had with their first EV, and the prestige and performance compared to the Tesla mediocre cars I think this may be a bit of FUD and resentment speaking.

which is sad because Tesla is doing just fine in its niche, it just has to accept it will never compete with Porsche and Audi in luxury and performance branding, its just a glorified slightly dressed up Honda. Their real competition is VW.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
for all of you naysayers who think that Alex didn’t do the right research…

as i mentioned before i slow charge at home (charging overnight and so why not? li thought would be better for the battery)

result? my car has burnt to the ground twice! once the day after thanksgiving and once yesterday! it started burning again this morning but i quickly changed the setting to 12amps and is ok now. i now only charge at EA chargers where i never have had an issue.

sincerely,
Joe Isuzu.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

as i mentioned before i slow charge at home (charging overnight and so why not? li thought would be better for the battery)

result? my car has burnt to the ground twice! once the day after thanksgiving and once yesterday! it started burning again this morning but i quickly changed the setting to 12amps and is ok now. i now only charge at EA chargers where i never have had an issue.

sincerely,
Joe Isuzu.
Sounds like you have an External Combustion Engine.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S

sincerely,
Joe Isuzu.
You need to move the gas cans close to the car so when it goes, it goes big and you get a new house from Porsche?.
Sponsored