batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Pretty levelheaded responses. Anyone that's been around Tesla long enough knows how many smear jobs there have been in online "media".
Most are barring the ?️? going on about checking out these forums and painting it as everyone in full denial mode and misrepresenting the responses to Wawa....
Sponsored

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Yea, from everything we know (strip all the hype and FUD), there is some issue with the 22KW 3-phase charger when used on a single phase mode. Consistent with Porsche warning to limit the single phase charging to 6KW. If this was Tesla, there would have been an non-optional OTA which would have limited the charge rate instead of telling customers, but Porsche is not the wild west, Agile Continuous Integration, "ship it now, fix it over-the-air, pay for hardware fix only if we have to" [actual Elon quote] type company, at least not yet. I hope they never become one, but in cases like this, they should just OTA a limit and schedule a charger hardware replacement for full 7KW rate or offer pay some compensation for folks who purchased a 22KW 3 phase, 7KW 1 phase charger, which turns out to be only 6KW capable.
On that topic (probably should take off back to the original thread). @tigerbalm , did you get anything from OPC given you are one who has had the charger before the new guidance. Think those who have it may actually be in a better position to get a wtf response :)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I didn't mention it to them yet @batteredhaddock – I am due up there next week to collect a part and might start the conversation. Be interested if there are any tech notes out there on it.

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree, if 60% of cars are actually impacted, then 6 in 10 members on this site should be experiencing them. I don’t see anything like that at all, but I do see a lot of fairly trivial complaints posted here regularly. Maybe the people here are just statistically lucky and are mostly from the 40% unaffected.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I agree, if 60% of cars are actually impacted, then 6 in 10 members on this site should be experiencing them. I don’t see anything like that at all, but I do see a lot of fairly trivial complaints posted here regularly. Maybe the people here are just statistically lucky and are mostly from the 40% unaffected.
In practice people tend to post about bad news much more than about good news. So maybe IRL it is even less than the reports we see on this forum. In the Facebook Taycan group owners started sharing their positive experience in e thread. Lots of happy and satisfied owners. This made me feel better, I am waiting for my car to be delivered in March.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Obvious answer to this. The 60% who are affected are way to busy putting the fires out in their Taycan so they don't have time to post here.

wawa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
Recommendation: modify the destination SoC from automatic to a reasonable figure like 25% or so. This will probably add a short stop at the Ardmore charger and you'll arrive without being so close to the redline.
I stop in Ardmore a lot; often the range estimate is not enough to get to Moore. I was responding to another that told me I needed to do a range test from 100% to 0%, and I was giving him the example that I do.

In response to someone else asking about e-cons, my original post stated 3.2 mi/kWh over the life of the car.

I hope everyone understands I am only providing my experience, and it is hopefully an anomoly. If not, consider it a harbinger for the future. If they can't give me a real fix, I am likely going to trade my car in on a 911 (who knows how long that order will take). I don't think the lemmon laws in Texas will really help because Porsche will have to buy the car back but at a steep discount. I will probably get more through a trade-in/new purchase.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
This article – based on the original one – is making the recommendation that Taycan owners only DC charge from now on.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ycan-battery-issues-on-60-of-cars-175504.html
Despite the fact that long-term high speed DC charging is actually detrimental to battery life....

Oh well, at least the fact that this story is getting traction in multiple outlets will likely eventually cause the truth to be revealed. In the meantime, since my 40A Clipper Creek EVSE typically charges at around 9kW, which is above the alleged problematic 7.5kW threshold, I don't think I'll worry about it too much.

Tavsan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW M5
Country flag
Where does the Taycan warranty say this? The warranty is 8 years 100k miles. I have not seen anything about it being reduced under some circumstances.

So, if your Taycan remains parked outside - exposed to the direct sunlight - for two weeks, Porsche would drop your battery warranty down to 60,000 km (37,500 miles)??? What happens after three weeks? Porsche comes to evict you from your home and seizes it?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Where does the Taycan warranty say this? The warranty is 8 years 100k miles. I have not seen anything about it being reduced under some circumstances.

the article is BS. it added the word “must” but if you look online, all those items are “if possible” “is ideal”, etc. there was a post detailing this on page 2 or 3 here.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
the article is BS. it added the word “must” but if you look online, all those items are “if possible” “is ideal”, etc. there was a post detailing this on page 2 or 3 here.
I'm just finishing up an article on how Porsche reduces your warranty by 386km every time you play a Justin Bieber song on the built-in Apple Music player. I have it confirmed by Porsche.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The original article is total horseshit! If this were really a thing, don’t you think it would be mentioned on Elektrek.com or on Insideevs.com? Nary a mention on either of those EV centric websites.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Does the battery warranty cover degradation?
it has a "threshold" if your battery gets 'below' the threshold it's a warranty issue - some degradation is allowed with out triggering the warranty…

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
If the article is not true, then both the author and the website should be held responsible.

I hope the site has substantiated with the authors source that all claims are true and accurate.
Sponsored