tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It might be, but my experiences have mostly been in Ireland – and due to a number of reasons relating to tax* – we're very unlike the USA in this regard – stock portfolios are the exception rather than the rule here.

While there might be some hobby stock purchases involved, it is unlikely that any of the folks I've interacted with have material wealth tied up in $TSLA.

---

* - we pay 33% tax on profits and if you hold a stock for 8 years you have to pay the 33% tax regardless (its called deemed disposal) even if you haven't sold the stock or made a profit! I know, I know.
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
It might be, but my experiences have mostly been in Ireland – and due to a number of reasons relating to tax* – we're very unlike the USA in this regard – stock portfolios are the exception rather than the rule here.

While there might be some hobby stock purchases involved, it is unlikely that any of the folks I've interacted with have material wealth tied up in $TSLA.

---

* - we pay 33% tax on profits and if you hold a stock for 8 years you have to pay the 33% tax regardless (its called deemed disposal) even if you haven't sold the stock or made a profit! I know, I know.
Wow, rough deal on (virtual) capital gains...

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
It's probably revenge to make Irish retail pay for the benefits of the mega tax deals offered to big American companies :))

here capital gains are taxed with a good heart.. but I think France and Italy have rates similar to IRE

wawa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
Update on my saga… my car was at the dealership for an update. While they were there, I asked them to test the battery. I received the following text from the service manager, “Juan let me know that on a test drive today the car died, and is requiring towing back to the dealership. While driving the range rapidly dropped to 10 miles, then 3, then asked to be shut off.” The car died 1.6 miles from the dealership. The tech walked back and got a tow truck. A police Officer pulls up and assumes the car was stolen and abandoned on the side of the road. He calls my wife and tells her that he found our car. My wife was quite shocked by the stolen car business. I was told that there is one trained in the US to work on batteries (swap in, swap out). There were also no error codes generated when the car spontaneously died. They are going to do more tests but likely working on a buy back from corporate.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Update on my saga… my car was at the dealership for an update. While they were there, I asked them to test the battery. I received the following text from the service manager, “Juan let me know that on a test drive today the car died, and is requiring towing back to the dealership. While driving the range rapidly dropped to 10 miles, then 3, then asked to be shut off.” The car died 1.6 miles from the dealership. The tech walked back and got a tow truck. A police Officer pulls up and assumes the car was stolen and abandoned on the side of the road. He calls my wife and tells her that he found our car. My wife was quite shocked by the stolen car business. I was told that there is one trained in the US to work on batteries (swap in, swap out). There were also no error codes generated when the car spontaneously died. They are going to do more tests but likely working on a buy back from corporate.
Well, if anything, your anecdote is almost evidence to the contrary of what's being claimed in this article. If there were some secret battery replacement procedure, they would have hooked up this tool that can simply detect that a battery is bad rather than driving it around, and even if that didn't exist, they would have simply replaced your battery without you knowing as the article claims.

Given your ~35k miles driven in less than a year and a half, I'll say that I'm not at all surprised by your experience though. You may have one of the hardest working Taycan batteries in the entire world. In no way do I mean this to say that I think it's your fault or that it's reasonable for the battery to degrade like that after only 35k miles, but it at least seems like the dealer has your back and isn't leaving you out to dry.

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
The writer posted a youtube video:

At https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/60-van-alle-porsche-taycans-kampt-met-accuproblemen-2955760. A reaction from Dutch Porsche importer has been received on the alligations mentioned:

On Wednesday, December 1st, 2021, Porsche was confronted with various allegations regarding the Taycan in an article on teslariti.com. The allegations are currently being investigated. Please understand that we are currently unable to comment on this.”

What does this mean?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
At https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/60-van-alle-porsche-taycans-kampt-met-accuproblemen-2955760. A reaction from Dutch Porsche importer has been received on the alligations mentioned:

On Wednesday, December 1st, 2021, Porsche was confronted with various allegations regarding the Taycan in an article on teslariti.com. The allegations are currently being investigated. Please understand that we are currently unable to comment on this.”

What does this mean?
It means like most things now someone makes up stories out of whole cloth, spreads lies, then someone else "reports" that they said that and people assume its true.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Thanks, this is the response I was hoping for. Just awareness..
Awareness? Hysteria is a more apt description. It took Porsche 3 weeks to diagnose an airbag warning light on my C4S. Maybe I should have asked for a new engine, because, eh, who knows?

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
My thoughts are this article is like BS and false news. Maybe spread by someone with some financial and personal interest in Tesla and who sees the Taycan/GT Etron combos as a threat! Tesla has enjoyed quite a bit of superiority and lead start in the EV business for quite a while to include huge subsidies from the US govt to get going. Now many of the long term automakers both US and European have awakened and are catching up fast...Ford;s Mustang Mach E, Porsche's Taycan, Audi's E Tron, Volvo and even Hyundai all have significant EV cars in the market. All are a threat to Tesla and soon they will likely start losing majority to them...thus their bid to open their supercharger network also. Their build quality is still suppar, self driving still causes issues and crashes, and outside of what 2-3 models many customers still find them lacking and ARE looking for options. I think that and the site it was posted on has more to do with this article than others. I mean I've heard of zero Taycan fires or huge buybacks...anyone else? Lots of issues with various Tesla problems including quite few pior Tesla owners who've jumped ship to something other than Tesla (i.e. Taycan, and Audi to name some). The Lucid Air will likely put a further body blow to them too.

First Name
Xenophon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (MY21)
Country flag
I am not intending to justify a clearly biased article here BUT you need to note that a motor capable of operating at 500Kw (depending on model of course) even at 800V it will be pulling around 650A (That is a lot of current). It is certainly Half of what an equivalent 400V car would pull (like a Tesla) BUT you need to have excellent software to manage the delivery of current to the motors for best performance and at the same time manage the rate of charge/discharge for the battery to avoid damage to the battery and control electronics that will be susceptible to EMI from such changing currents!
At 400V the current delivery will be DOUBLE and not half! Power=Voltage x Current (? just saying!)
Sponsored