JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This one takes a little effort to wade through and lots of points/speculations that he makes that can be countered.

Basically he is claiming 400v is better than 800v. ie Tesla is good and Porsche isn't. But he missed the fundamental point, and got confused about losses.

Fundamentally, higher voltage is more efficient than lower voltage. Every EE knows that and why it's true. Using a higher voltage you'll have a lower current for the same power rating. You know all those power tools you have in the garage? The higher the voltage the tool has, the more power the tool has.

Then he is on about charging Taycan's at 400v chargers and how you have to have some extra equipment etc, etc, .............. That just Porsche bridging the gap between 800v chargers and 400v chargers (read Tesla)

Then it comes down to you need a highly efficient 400v system to compete with 800v. Yeah Tesla has that, and years to develop it, but 800v isn't standing still.

I just think he's a little confused.

Sponsored

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Lucid could have chosen any architecture, but they chose a 900 V nominal pack for the Dream Edition. That car is a step change ahead of even the best Tesla has to offer. 800 V class battery architecture is very much a part of what makes it outstanding from low losses to component power density. Engineers at Hyundai, Kia, Lucid, Porsche all seem to disagree with Dr. Bjorn.

I'm a bit tired of the Taycan charging rants as well. The idea that the 200 kW charging option is the result of Taycan's frying their batteries is a fanboy wet dream. He mocks the option, then agrees with a commenter that all EV's should have it. Huh?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t know. He lost me when he said less current means less resistance. 👎

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Man, I normally like Bjorn, but this video is pretty uninspired. Just sort of rambling as he drives, with not even a bit of supporting data/graphs/etc. 28 minutes to basically just say that 800V EVs are the future, but that they won't see all the benefits until all DCFCs can abandon 400V chargers.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The important bit is I2R losses. End of story. Higher the voltage, lower the current, lower losses. That’s why 66kV overhead supply lines are so small And large factories are powered from 11kV supplies. Porsche started with the correct voltage, not Tesla.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Man, I normally like Bjorn, but this video is pretty uninspired. Just sort of rambling as he drives, with not even a bit of supporting data/graphs/etc. 28 minutes to basically just say that 800V EVs are the future, but that they won't see all the benefits until all DCFCs can abandon 400V chargers.
Well I don't, so I am going to commit internet sin and not even watch the video I comment on, but if it's like any of the other videos he has produced that I have watched it's just rambling nonsense with lots of factual errors thrown in. Waste of time watching his videos.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This is what happens when somebody who is not well educated in science gets well known and starts making statements about things they don't understand :(

The internet is awash with it IME.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
It's time he stops.
Sponsored