Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Totally agree - should not have to experience loss of power to get the update!
Absolutely.

At least in the US you guys are getting some info however confusing it may be. Absolutely nada at this end. Best I got from my dealership is that maybe if we reinstall WMA5 the problem will go away. Ironically that may actually work if the update has been updated.
Attached is Porsche Bulletin #2113 which identifies the software updates for WMA5 (MY2020).
The DME is updated to software version 0014 and the front and rear power electronics are updated to software version 0012. This is intended to address the "sudden loss of power" that some have experienced.

This is consistent with what has been reported by others that have this update.

The bulletin also states that as of May 28, 2021 both the WMA5 and WMA6 update include this software update.

So the "Global Taycan recall" probably only includes vehicles that received the original WMA5 update prior to May 28th
That makes sense. My dealership has suggested reinstalling WMA5 which may actually work if the update has been updated.
Sponsored

Giluke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I hope my car being built right now will also have this fix….?
Got my 4S a few days ago and when I asked my dealership about this he mentioned that there was a VIN list circulating about cars with this potential issue. Maybe there is a specific car model/spec that triggers the software malfunction... I do hope that they'll recall all cars or apply a new software version to fix this asap. The car is great though!

Reactions: B61

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
according to the VIN lookup site my ‘2020 Taycan Turbo has no recalls at this time - we shall see- but I was updated in early march/april - so this is curious.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
according to the VIN lookup site my ‘2020 Taycan Turbo has no recalls at this time - we shall see- but I was updated in early march/april - so this is curious.
I also just checked the recall vin lookup site. My 2020 4S has no recalls at this time and my car was updated the week of May 3. Curious indeed.

SeanY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering 2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't think VIN lookup is already working for a recall Porsche has not even officially announced.
I checked the RWD VIN which got the update today, and the VIN didn't show up any recall.

Reactions: KTC

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I agree, my Januar ‘21 shows no open recalls, so ?.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just signed on a new 2020 today. Dealer said that they did WMA 5 & 7 two weeks ago, and then they heard something about this from Porsche last week, so they actually ran AMB 5 a few days ago. No word yet about AMB 6.

I guess we'll have more data in a few days. My car isn't going to ship until we know everything is in the clear.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Attached is Porsche Bulletin #2113 which identifies the software updates for WMA5 (MY2020).
The DME is updated to software version 0014 and the front and rear power electronics are updated to software version 0012. This is intended to address the "sudden loss of power" that some have experienced.

This is consistent with what has been reported by others that have this update.

The bulletin also states that as of May 28, 2021 both the WMA5 and WMA6 update include this software update.

So the "Global Taycan recall" probably only includes vehicles that received the original WMA5 update prior to May 28th
Useful info, thanks @TomP . My WMA5 update happened from April 29 through May 4, so it was still the old vulnerable version.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the head of porsche NA was on CNBC squawk box this morning 7/1, there are two parts of the interview, one is pure puffery the other part he is questioned about the recall and then faced an owner who apparently raked him over the coals.
unfortunately I can only get the puff piece to load, the rest is behind a pay wall and their free site won't play that part of the interview.

edit:
someone posted it on rennlist

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Less hand waving, more raking. ?‍⚖

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

All 43000 Taycans delivered before June 2021 will be recalled.

Cars with the current software WMA5 have the ability to get OTA updates, which includes components that are affected by this problem. Porsche nevertheless prefers to take the cars to the workshop, because the update involves recalibrating the ECUs. The update is of course free of charge for the customer and takes around an hour.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
All 43000 Taycans delivered before June 2021 will be recalled.

Cars with the current software WMA5 have the ability to get OTA updates, which includes components that are affected by this problem. Porsche nevertheless prefers to take the cars to the workshop, because the update involves recalibrating the ECUs. The update is of course free of charge for the customer and takes around an hour.
For an update/patch of this kind, I actually prefer it to be done in a Porsche workshop rather than at home over-the-air...

SDSoccerdad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The "fix" was already out there, hence the number of US posters who have had the up-date to the up-date. What is new is the recall. That makes it even worse - we know there's a problem, we have a fix, but we're not going to roll it out. From a purely economics point of view that makes sense - how much would it cost to recall ALL Taycans for a software up-date that takes who knows how long v how many lawsuits are we going to suffer. However, from an ethical point of view it sucks. The cost-benefit analysis immediately changes once a regulator gets involved, especially when you are VW and already in the bad books.
I may just be missing it - but is it proposed this recall will be for all models? I have a MY 21 4S and have had no issues whatsoever in the 3 weeks I’ve owned it - doesn’t mean I won’t but am just trying to find out if the recall applies to all models. Anyone know
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.