ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just checked with my dealer and they advised me that my 2021 Taycan 4S is not involved in the this recall. Was really glad to hear that.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I checked out the following recall page:

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/vinrecalllookup_V3.nsf/VIN?ReadForm&c=usa

and despite my experiencing this problem and reporting it to NHTSA and having an interview with them, my VIN is not on the recall list. I have been to the dealer and was one of the first to get the 'patch', but I don't understand how they would omit my VIN from the list. According to the interview yesterday with the Porsche NA CEO, I'm one of only 20/10,000 vehicles that have reported the problem. Hard to believe they are that efficient in tracking updates...?

Last edited:

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I may just be missing it - but is it proposed this recall will be for all models? I have a MY 21 4S and have had no issues whatsoever in the 3 weeks I’ve owned it - doesn’t mean I won’t but am just trying to find out if the recall applies to all models. Anyone know
If you contact your dealer and give them your Vin number they should be able to let you know if your car is part of the recalled vehicles.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

and despite my experiencing this problem and reporting it to NHTSA and having an interview with them, my VIN is not on the recall list. I have been to the dealer and was one of the first to get the 'patch', but I don't understand how they would omit my VIN from the list. According to the interview yesterday with the Porsche NA CEO, I'm one of only 20/10,000 vehicles that have reported the problem. Hard to believe they are that efficient in tracking updates...?
I echo the hmmm. I haven't been counting, but I'd imagine there have been close to 20 of us on this forum alone who have reported the loss of power problem (albeit, some were due to big battery issues and others due to software up-date issues).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I echo the hmmm. I haven't been counting, but I'd imagine there have been close to 20 of us on this forum alone who have reported the loss of power problem (albeit, some were due to big battery issues and others due to software up-date issues).
the head of Porsche NA stated in a CNBC interview that only 20 or so cars out of 10k were impacted by the flaw.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

SInce Porsche has not yet officially announced the recall (other than the Squawk interview, everything else was mainstream media), it's probably just not yet updated. I'm waiting until announcement, dissemination to all the local service centers, and then see if the VINs have been updated.

My dealer did mention that in the past two weeks he had a VIN that had a stop-sale order due to AMB5, and had to do that first.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
SInce Porsche has not yet officially announced the recall (other than the Squawk interview, everything else was mainstream media), it's probably just not yet updated. I'm waiting until announcement, dissemination to all the local service centers, and then see if the VINs have been updated.

My dealer did mention that in the past two weeks he had a VIN that had a stop-sale order due to AMB5, and had to do that first.
The article that was posted from the UK provided the most detailed information- It indicates a recall of all 43k taycans and provides some information about the root cause of the problem -

"
A glitch in the software communications between the Taycan’s powertrain controller and the power electronics causes the car to bring up a dashboard warning urging the driver to find a safe place to stop. The vehicle cuts drive but can still be steered and braked to a halt; if travelling at around 75mph, there would be around 90 seconds to do this before the Taycan would run out of momentum, Porsche estimates. Once the vehicle is safely stopped, turned off and restarted, it will operate normally again.

The fault has occurred on 0.3 per cent of the 43,000 vehicles affected by the recall. Porsche customers are being contacted by their dealership and the patch will take around an hour to complete. The fix is being carried out in a workshop, instead of over the air, because it requires calibration of the powertrain controller. Around 4,500 cars in the UK are expected to be included in the recall.

The Taycan’s project leader for drivetrain, Klaus Rechberger, told Auto Express that there are no defined parameters that force the issue to occur. “It’s entirely sporadic,” he said. “We first identified the problem in our own testing, and we have had intensive further tests with multiple sensors on vehicles to investigate the issue. There is no set of circumstances that automatically replicates the situation.”

Rechberger said that the software problem had already been fed into the “learning process” ahead of Porsche’s next EV launch, the forthcoming pure-electric Macan, and stated that the firm’s existing hybrid models are unaffected.

Audi has already issued a similar recall for the e-tron GT and RS e-tron GT, both sister vehicles to the Taycan. But since production of these cars started later than the Porsche, the number of vehicles involved is much smaller. Audi has confirmed to Auto Express that just 58 cars in the UK have been recalled, and 46 of them have already had the fix applied.""

franksc

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Porsche 911, 2021 Audi Q7, 2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche has not officially announced a recall. Story says they will in coming days.

Why would anyone expect the Porsche recall site to reflect a recall they haven’t announced yet?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche has not officially announced a recall. Story says they will in coming days.

Why would anyone expect the Porsche recall site to reflect a recall they haven’t announced yet?
the ceo of porsche NA announcing on CNBC that the recall is happening is announcement enough.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
To sum up, Porsche should have been more aggressive in dealing with this on their own without NTHSA involvement, but the good news is that the problem is now being dealt with.

For my part, I've experienced no problems to date and will wait until there is an official announcement and notification that my car is affected. In the meantime, I'm not going to stress about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.