MeMyselfAndI

First Name
Pieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (MY 21)
Country flag
Been driving BMW (and my wife MINI) for years. Going from my M2 to ‘an EV’, I never considered BMW as an option although they have been working on EVs for many years (i3, which I also like to drive as a loaner).
First, I really don’t like the new BMW design. The interior of both the iX and i4 looks good though. Also the exterior of the i4 isn’t bad from the sides and back, but from the front I think it’s just ugly. Not a fan of the iX’s exterior.
Second, I don’t believe in the approach BMW (and other car makers) is taking with the i4 (and iX3): it’s the same platform as the ‘regular’ ICE series but with an electro motor and a bunch of batteries instead of the ICE. I think (and this might be naive, I don’t know) that this can never be as good as en electric car that is designed as an electric car from the ground up.
I don’t think these (and future BMW EV’s) will be bad cars, I am confident that a strong brand like BMW with so many years of experience in building great cars, knows what they are doing. But still… they are ugly ?
Sponsored

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
Been driving BMW (and my wife MINI) for years. Going from my M2 to ‘an EV’, I never considered BMW as an option although they have been working on EVs for many years (i3, which I also like to drive as a loaner).
First, I really don’t like the new BMW design. The interior of both the iX and i4 looks good though. Also the exterior of the i4 isn’t bad from the sides and back, but from the front I think it’s just ugly. Not a fan of the iX’s exterior.
Second, I don’t believe in the approach BMW (and other car makers) is taking with the i4 (and iX3): it’s the same platform as the ‘regular’ ICE series but with an electro motor and a bunch of batteries instead of the ICE. I think (and this might be naive, I don’t know) that this can never be as good as en electric car that is designed as an electric car from the ground up.
I don’t think these (and future BMW EV’s) will be bad cars, I am confident that a strong brand like BMW with so many years of experience in building great cars, knows what they are doing. But still… they are ugly ?
very well said!

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
One final thought: why do some car designers think that the shape of an EV can be the same as an ICE? It can’t! To increase the range of an EV you need to consider the aerodynamic characteristics of the car. Examples of good aerodynamics: Taycan, Bolt, all the Tesla’s, the BMW i8. Bad aerodynamics: iX.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I’m coming from an i8 to a 4s and, in truth, I’ll miss that car. It was plenty fast, very good looking and virtually bullet proof. If they had continued making them I likely would still be driving one as the only real negative was the level of finish in the interior; it was bereft of a luxury feel inside the cabin and the tactile feel of the materials was more befitting a 3 series than their halo car with a price tag in the $170’s.

Alas I, too, find nothing interesting in BMW’s current lineup. The polarizing designs of the Bangle-years and his “flame surfacing” put the brand on a very strange path. One only has to look at the side profile of the initial Z4 or the rear trunk design of his 7 series redux to see that BMW was trying to be controversial and, as such, started to alienate past fans such as myself. I loved the look of the current 8 -Series on paper but when I saw it in the flesh I was less than enthused as I felt the overall design of the initial prototype didn’t translate well to production.

The i8 was a marvel and really ahead of its time. The AWD hybrid setup worked exceedingly well and was quite revolutionary when first introduced to the public around ‘11/12. Rather then expand on their initial impact to the EV market BMW went from cutting edge to stagnating to simply playing catch up and really should be a case study in how to lose a perceived edge in business by not capitalizing on current trends.

Still they sell tons of them and I suspect that’s all that matters. “The Ultimate Driving Machine”? I think not…. but the marque does still resonate with buyers and I suspect that’s due, in no small part, to their perceived luxury status. It also doesn’t hurt that they’re so lease friendly which makes entry to the club all the more easier.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I’m coming from an i8 to a 4s and, in truth, I’ll miss that car. It was plenty fast, very good looking and virtually bullet proof.
As an i8 (current) and i3 (past) owner I have to agree. Then say why did you get rid of the i8? I plan to keep mine until it falls apart. In fact I went from the coupe to the Roadster when it finally came out. Its the only car that I truly consider unique in so many ways.

I wanted to mainly say I can't believe that BMW went from the i3/i8 innovation (i3 was flawed but very cool, i8 is a marvel but not really practical) to THIS. How?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Now this is a really interesting video - from someone who does know what they are talking about - on the new 2 series.

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
As an i8 (current) and i3 (past) owner I have to agree. Then say why did you get rid of the i8? I plan to keep mine until it falls apart. In fact I went from the coupe to the Roadster when it finally came out. Its the only car that I truly consider unique in so many ways.
The lease on my Roadster was up and it was the first time I actually wished I had a LONGER term as the car sill turned heads. I actually considered purchasing it at lease end but went to look at the Taycan and the rest is... as they say..... history.

I was originally given an estimated delivery of 08/06 which worked quite well within the confines of my lease return. That has now been amended 3X with the latest delivery date being estimated @ 10/22 due to the fact that my car is currently stuck in production since 07/20.

Enjoy your i8, it's a special car....

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
so ugly, looks like the folks from Nissan designed a BMW.
Had BMW put just a little more cheap plastic cladding on the rocker panels, they could have given the Pontiac Aztek some competition for ugliest SUV ever. And the little crystal touches on the interior: lipstick on a pig, nothing more.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I was at a BMW driving event and they had real iX and i4 on display. My impressions:
  • iX exterior looks weird and worst than the photos. It has a lot of champaign color accents which I did not like
  • iX interior is top notch, very luxurious, but I did not like the color on display.
  • iX size is big, closer to X5 than X3
  • i4 looks better in person than the photos but I am not sure why they insist on that face..
  • i4 interior was also nice following the familiar BMW looks. It was not as luxurious as the iX but I would say it is on par with the Taycan.
  • the i4 overall looks almost the same as a 4 series both inside and outside
  • both cars had their charging port on the rear of the passenger side.

20210806_082043.jpg

20210806_082033.jpg

20210806_082052.jpg

20210806_082105.jpg

20210806_082002.jpg

20210806_081945.jpg
I was at a BMW driving event and they had real iX and i4 on display. My impressions:
  • iX exterior looks weird and worst than the photos. It has a lot of champaign color accents which I did not like
  • iX interior is top notch, very luxurious, but I did not like the color on display.
  • iX size is big, closer to X5 than X3
  • i4 looks better in person than the photos but I am not sure why they insist on that face..
  • i4 interior was also nice following the familiar BMW looks. It was not as luxurious as the iX but I would say it is on par with the Taycan.
  • the i4 overall looks almost the same as a 4 series both inside and outside
  • both cars had their charging port on the rear of the passenger side.

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_082043

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_082033

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_082052

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_082105

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_082002

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person 20210806_081945
It is a close call between the $30K Bolt and the $85K iX. I'd give the Bolt the edge simply because GM omitted the pathetic blue plastic trim pieces that BMW feels compelled to slap on anything and everything electric.

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.59.53 PM

Porsche Taycan BMW i4 and iX in person newbolt

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is a close call between the $30K Bolt and the $85K iX. I'd give the Bolt the edge simply because GM omitted the pathetic blue plastic trim pieces that BMW feels compelled to slap on anything and everything electric.
The iX is much bigger size than the Bolt so definitely a different category. It is almost as big as an X5.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Who made that steering wheel?? An ogre??

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
As a global car maker, women of all this foreign and weird countries buy these cars and it is now the new market core. They (she) have the power !
White male is not welcome anymore…
And if « you don’t like the new line. Go away »
1. IX = Yuck.

2. Think the above does a huge disservice to the female members and international community who are on this forum imho.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
The iX is much bigger size than the Bolt so definitely a different category. It is almost as big as an X5.
For sure a different category and not a fair comparison. I was simply commenting on the external styling. I've really enjoyed the two BMWs that I have owned (both from a design and driving perspective) but BMW designers have, IMO, really jumped the shark with the iX design. Hopefully, the iX resonates with BMW's target demographic (current Bolt owners I guess) and the pre-orders are rolling in!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Hopefully, the iX resonates with BMW's target demographic (current Bolt owners I guess) and the pre-orders are rolling in!
I have owned a Bolt, and it’s an EV I would get again and one that I highly recommend for its price, performance, pleasant drive and relatively well laid out cabin (yes it’s cheap materials but aesthetically just fine).

let’s put it this way, you couldn’t get me to buy either BMW new I EVs at the price of a Bolt. Now that is NOT a good sign. No self respecting Bolt owner would buy one of those!

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I have owned a Bolt, and it’s an EV I would get again and one that I highly recommend for its price, performance, pleasant drive and relatively well laid out cabin (yes it’s cheap materials but aesthetically just fine).

let’s put it this way, you couldn’t get me to buy either BMW new I EVs at the price of a Bolt. Now that is NOT a good sign. No self respecting Bolt owner would buy one of those!
My first EV was the original Chevy Volt and, despite the cheap plastic interior, I still think it was a better proposition/value than BMW's iX. I ditched a Mercedes to drive the very funky Volt and did so with pride (I am admittedly a little bit of an environmental nut); but I too would lose all self-respect if I purchased an iX.
Sponsored