First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
https://www.bmwusa.com/future-vehicles/i5.html

Now that the i5 has been officially introduced... I've always been a fan of BMW interiors, this one is no exception. Will have to see one in real life before deciding if I like the silhouette and the fake grill. Curious to learn about driving dynamics.

What do y'all think?
Sponsored

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
the presentation of the new 5 series has always been a steady appointment for me since the e34. Never been disappointed.
However I am looking at this thing and the 5 series appeal is dead. I like the front design, the rest of it is bland and something you would expect to see on Japanese cars. Rear end very Mercedes like. Interior has lost all the BMW familiar and reassuring feel. What is bmw today? I don’t know and I struggle to recognise it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Nice to have another electric car to choose from rather than the normal crop of SUVs. There is a suggestion there will be an estate car version too.

OTOH the only BMW I have owned, a M3, had a very uncomfortable driver’s seat (which looked great) and a bizarre default to the ventilation system which left cold feet and stuffy head in winter. I never got used to either and it was the only car I have owned in the last 50 years I sold after a few months. I still have the car I replaced it with 25 years later.

SCOUBI22222

First Name
ARNAUD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4 ST
Country flag
The appearance is according to taste, I don't really like it and still no front trunk, for the cables it's still very practical. Transmission tunnel and version 8.5 of the OS.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Is it a new dedicated EV platform? Or is it being shared with petrol and hybrid options?

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I cam from an F90 M5 to my Taycan and although I'm underwhelmed by the looks of this, I think with some fettling an M5 version could look pretty good. It has always been a 3-box executive saloon and it's the most successful in the segment. They'd be crazy to try turn it into something else.

Performance on the F90 was tremendous but it wasn't exactly a car you'd turn back to look at in the car park.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Is it a new dedicated EV platform? Or is it being shared with petrol and hybrid options?
Shared.
And although the front is almost empty, BMW did not add a frunk.
So they didn't do a lot of effort of trying to get the typical EV advantages developed.

In 2023 I'd prefer a dedicated EV platform.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
BMW's disaster design department is just a mess these days. I understand what they were trying to do here...avoid Merc's "one bow" egg shape and still keep the 3 box design but optimize aero. As a result, the hood and trunk are very high where they meet the greenhouse and look very awkward to my eye. The proportions are off, too, with a very large front overhang. Why? It looks like the FWD 2 series Active Tourer got enlarged....and that's NOT a good thing. Add to that the completely superfluous shiny black plastic along the bottom, especially the nasty giant triangles on the back corners and this is just a mess. The grill shape is ok, but the detailing is just naff, and don't get me started on the giant sensor box in the middle or the "look at me" lighted outline.

Sheesh.

Compound to that BMW's continued insistence on sharing platforms with the ICE vehicles and all the disadvantages that come along with that and this thing holds little appeal to me.

NLister18

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
B9.5 Audi RS5 Sportback
Country flag
I like what BMW is doing in terms of ramping up their EV range and providing a number of “affordable” luxury EVs for those in the market for an electric vehicle. With that said, I don’t have any personal interest in the i5 or any others for that matter. I’m just not a fan of their design choices and my previous ownership experience with BMW was very subpar. My top EV choices as of right now were the Taycan, eTron GT/RS and to a lesser extent, the Plaid.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I quite like it in M60 trim. Taking into account the <$90k price, it is pretty attractive and looks like a solid contender. IIRC there was going to be a wagon/estate variant too- that will be amazing.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I used to love BMW, but I just do not like the new interior screen design. It is too much Hyunday like for my taste. Lack of integration. I think from an interior standpoint Porsche and Mercedes and Audi ar doing much much better. The outside of their new SUVs ar horrible as well. They are losing it from a look standpoint.
Sponsored