RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My brakes feel very different after the AMB5 recall update and I’m not loving it. Anyone else experiencing this? They feel softer and not as quick to engage. I hear a grinding noise inside the car from the pedal when slowing down under 5mph. It seems at under 5mph the PSM turns off or changes and causes this. I experimented and turned off PSM and didn’t experience the grinding anymore (but pedal was still soft). Before AMB5 recall update I didn’t have any issues with brake feel. Trying to figure out if this is a software issue due to AMB5 (and hopefully will be corrected) or am I having a hardware issue?
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Sorry to hear you're having a problem. I took my car for a brisk drive on some back roads just yesterday with some pretty heavy braking, and noticed no change in brake performance or feel..

I'm thinking the upgrade and the timing of your issue are coincidental. FWIW, I have PCCB's in case brake type is relevant in any way.

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I’ve noticed a difference too especially at low speeds. A couple of times I’ve nearly hit something because the brakes don’t respond. It’s an odd sensation and unnerving. Mines going in this week to have a squealing noise checked so I’ll ask them to check then.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My brakes feel very different after the AMB5 recall update and I’m not loving it. Anyone else experiencing this? They feel softer and not as quick to engage. I hear a grinding noise inside the car from the pedal when slowing down under 5mph. It seems at under 5mph the PSM turns off or changes and causes this. I experimented and turned off PSM and didn’t experience the grinding anymore (but pedal was still soft). Before AMB5 recall update I didn’t have any issues with brake feel. Trying to figure out if this is a software issue due to AMB5 (and hopefully will be corrected) or am I having a hardware issue?
Braking will change from new - depending on miles covered etc - more use is made of the motors to slow the car down rather than the discs etc - this could be what you're experiencing. The grinding will be the discs and pads - perhaps surface debris after rain if you have std brakes.

That said I drove a demo CT4S 2 weeks ago with standard brakes and they did feel better (more assured) than mine and had earlier bite.

OP
OP
RehobothTaycan1

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sorry to hear you're having a problem. I took my car for a brisk drive on some back roads just yesterday with some pretty heavy braking, and noticed no change in brake performance or feel..

I'm thinking the upgrade and the timing of your issue are coincidental. FWIW, I have PCCB's in case brake type is relevant in any way.
Thanks! I’m going to make an appointment and have them checked out.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I agree. They have changed the regen characteristic since the recall and it is slightly softer initially in Normal mode. I have noticed it improves after a while so I think this is to do with battery management. The things you have to bear in mind is that regen will alter depending on the state of charge of the battery. The fuller it is the less there will be and the quicker it will switch to friction braking. The same applies to the battery temperature. The driving modes also change the brake characteristics. I think in sports plus there will be more friction braking as excessive regen will increase battery temperature which you do not want if you are doing a track day.

OP
OP
RehobothTaycan1

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I agree. They have changed the regen characteristic since the recall and it is slightly softer initially in Normal mode. I have noticed it improves after a while so I think this is to do with battery management. The things you have to bear in mind is that regen will alter depending on the state of charge of the battery. The fuller it is the less there will be and the quicker it will switch to friction braking. The same applies to the battery temperature. The driving modes also change the brake characteristics. I think in sports plus there will be more friction braking as excessive regen will increase battery temperature which you do not want if you are doing a track day.
Have you experienced any grinding type noise when under 5mph and coming to a stop? I have base Taycan and the noise comes from the front of the car, so don’t think it’s motor noise. I hear it pretty pronounced inside the cabin.

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also hear grinding noise under 5 mph and getting really annoying… Dealer says this is normal for all Porsche cars but tried their demo 4S and no noise at all….
I am on STD brakes.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I did not feel any diffference in breaking performance or feel after the recall update. All good.