Brakedust with standard vs PSCB brakes

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Is there a huge difference in the amount of brake dust you get with the standard brakes compared to PSCB?
Anyone with standard brakes is the brake dust excessive?
Sponsored

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
Is there a huge difference in the amount of brake dust you get with the standard brakes compared to PSCB?
Anyone with standard brakes is the brake dust excessive?
The easy answer is YES. Big difference! All of my porsches with the exception of the Taycan, have the regular brakes. Tons and tons of brake dust. Constant work to keep them clean. My Taycan was my first PSCB car and I don’t think I will ever order a car without them again. Noting more than regular dirt that is easy hosed off. Amazing.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I have standard brakes and don’t get much brake dust. Don’t the the disc is used much. I have owned many different porches and agree with the poster above. All my other porsches produce a ton of dust.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have the PSCB brakes as well, but you have to realize that most braking done on the Taycan is with regenerative braking. So you won't get much brake dust anyway. At least that's what I've heard many people say here on the forum.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Tungsten carbide is about ten times as hard as iron, so you would expect about a tenth the amount of brake dust(?)

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
I have standard brakes and almost zero brake dust - almost all of the braking goes to regen - so pads are rarely used (hence the wheels stay clean)

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have standard brakes and almost zero brake dust - almost all of the braking goes to regen - so pads are rarely used (hence the wheels stay clean)
I too have standard brakes and have seen almost no brake dust in the first 3K miles.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can confirm what others have said. No brake dust on the standard brakes. I had a BMW with ceramic that was dusty five minutes after you cleaned it. This is nothing like that.

I think it is a combination of the regen braking and (in my case) aero wheels which probably keep what dust there is hidden.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I too have standard brakes and have seen almost no brake dust in the first 3K miles.
The ironic truth is that you buy CCB brakes for street cars and iron brakes for track cars.

I had CCB's on my M4 track car and removed them the very first year as they were far too expensive to run on a dedicated track vehicle ($20K per year plus). I'll take 95% of the performance at a fraction of the maintenance cost in this case anytime.

On the other hand, I'll option CCB's on any/all of my street cars any time they are available. Very little dust and the dust which is produced is not iron based so it does not stick to the wheels. It pretty much blows away or is easily rinsed/washed off.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Yeah, a dealer told me ”just get the standard brakes” when I asked he said, they will rarely be used to justify spending more unless y
you want to track it.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The ironic truth is that you buy CCB brakes for street cars and iron brakes for track cars.

I had CCB's on my M4 track car and removed them the very first year as they were far too expensive to run on a dedicated track vehicle ($20K per year plus). I'll take 95% of the performance at a fraction of the maintenance cost in this case anytime.

On the other hand, I'll option CCB's on any/all of my street cars any time they are available. Very little dust and the dust which is produced is not iron based so it does not stick to the wheels. It pretty much blows away or is easily rinsed/washed off.
Spent some time talking with an independent race car driver at the Nurburgring just before a 24-hour race. He was using PCCB on his 911. Like you, cost drove him to use steel for most races, but the lighter un-sprung weight made a significant difference on a rough track like the Nurburgring.

Personally love PCCB: better handling, better acceleration (less weight to spin), better braking, less dust, and more comfortable ride for any given spring stiffness.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spent some time talking with an independent race car driver at the Nurburgring just before a 24-hour race. He was using PCCB on his 911. Like you, cost drove him to use steel for most races, but the lighter un-sprung weight made a significant difference on a rough track like the Nurburgring.

Personally love PCCB: better handling, better acceleration (less weight to spin), better braking, less dust, and more comfortable ride for any given spring stiffness.
I guess it depends on the type of racing you are doing and how deep your pockets are...

I'm simply a "gentlemen racer" (some might argue about either of those qualifiers) but my M4 is pretty much a dedicated track car. I am also a member at Autobahn Country Club so I basically have unlimited access to our club tracks (2) anytime I want to run. IOW: My M4 gets a fair amount of track time - but none of this is for serious season points in any formal racing league.

If I remember correctly, CCB Rotors were $3K EACH and pads were about $700 a PAIR. I was having to replace rotors basically every second time I replaced pads. (As measured by my $6500 Carboteq instrument). That's about $15K for the full set. CCB's may last virtually forever on the street, but I think I was only getting about 20 sessions on the track out of the rotors. ...and that's about three or four 20 min sessions per day. So a full set of pads every 2nd or 3rd track day and a full set of rotors every 6th or 7th. I was running $20K-$30K per year in brake costs just "for fun".

After the first year I removed the CCB's and replaced them with AP/Essex Radi-Cal competition brakes and never looked back. Seriously, I am getting about 95% of the performance at about 15% of the cost.

I don't expect very many drivers in any of the more popular racing series (WRL, NASA, SCCA) are using CCB's on their cars. Quite simply, the more you race, the more expensive CCB's are!

You going to track your "street" car once or twice a year? Sure, go for the CCB's and reap the dustless benefit! However if you are REALLY going to track your car (which I don't see anyone doing with a Taycan), then you better consider your budget!

Xsquid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel, Taycan 4s+, 996 C2 Coupe
Country flag
Have you noticed much rust discoloration after driving in wet weather?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you noticed much rust discoloration after driving in wet weather?
CCB brakes do not emit iron particles (like iron rotors/pads) as they are primarily ceramic. "Rust" is not a factor.
Sponsored