First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Evening all.

a daft question here but how does the Taycan braking system work. Is it regen until the point of actually coming to a stop and then the traditional brakes kick in?

The reason for asking is that when I come to a complete stop the brake feel changes and there is a noise as if the traditional brakes a taking over but it’s almost as if the brakes are grinding though so I also assume there would be a low brake wear warning on the dash.

cheers

M
Sponsored

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Evening all.

a daft question here but how does the Taycan braking system work. Is it regen until the point of actually coming to a stop and then the traditional brakes kick in?

The reason for asking is that when I come to a complete stop the brake feel changes and there is a noise as if the traditional brakes a taking over but it’s almost as if the brakes are grinding though so I also assume there would be a low brake wear warning on the dash.

cheers

M
I’ve not noticed any grinding at all (Unless you think the noise of recuperation is grinding). As I understand it, braking is 90% recouperation (which can sound a bit like grinding) But only 10% using brake pads. Except when cold or battery full in which case braking is 100% standard brake pads until pads have cleaned the discs or the battery will accept recuperation Charge.

Reactions: B61

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
... a daft question here ...
No question is too daft for this crowd!
I’ve not noticed any grinding at all (Unless you think the noise of recuperation is grinding). As I understand it, braking is 90% recouperation (which can sound a bit like grinding) But only 10% using brake pads. Except when cold or battery full in which case braking is 100% standard brake pads until pads have cleaned the discs or the battery will accept recuperation Charge.
Agreed. The Taycan decides how much braking is recuperation and how much is physical while maintaining (or perhaps with your extraordinary senses, striving to maintain) the same pressure point in the brake pedal. The Porsche Active Stability Management (PASM) and electromechanical brake booster work in combination.

More info can be found in the most recent issue of Christophorus No. 403 - the one with British tennis phenom Emma Raducanu on the cover. The article starts on page 30 and claims that recuperation is responsible for one-third of the range.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
AFAIK…

The car uses regen as much as possible.

The car blends friction brakes in if the requested braking exceeds what can be done by regen braking. This limit will vary by circumstance and could be very low or zero if the battery of full.

The car uses friction brakes exclusively:
  • during the first few hundred miles of new brakes to bed the brakes
  • during the first small amount of braking for the first drive after the car has been sitting
  • at very low speeds or when stopped

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
As I understand it, braking is 90% recouperation (which can sound a bit like grinding) But only 10% using brake pads.
I think the 90% refers to an estimated average of all braking and not an instantaneous percent.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It's almost certainly not low brake pads unless you have done a very high mileage.

With so much braking done via regen, the discs get very little use.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Discs are used from start up for a short distance and then regen braking for the rest of the journey unless you perform an emergency stop where both regen and discs will work together to stop the car.

The grinding could be residue (rust) on the discs if no PCCB or PSCB brakes due to rain / moisture and will clear after a few stops. It could also be due to a warped disc scraping on the brake pads.

If in doubt get it checked by your dealer.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just thinking out loud.....
Could it also be a trapped stone or something stuck in the brakes?

As they get used so infrequently, I guess this could be around for a while?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just thinking out loud.....
Could it also be a trapped stone or something stuck in the brakes?

As they get used so infrequently, I guess this could be around for a while?
Good idea. Could be, even if the clearance is small.

OP (@Weston ), look at your discs to see if there's an extra tiny groove or scratch.

Does the noise occur when braking in drive, reverse, or both?

Taycan Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also have a grinding noise coming from the front left side while braking.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Hi all,

Reviving this thread. My car was in for the uPdate and asked them to check the grinding noise from the front left rotor/brake pad. Well, I've been scheduled to come back for a full front PSCB replacement under warranty (5k miles).

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi all,

Reviving this thread. My car was in for the uPdate and asked them to check the grinding noise from the front left rotor/brake pad. Well, I've been scheduled to come back for a full front PSCB replacement under warranty (5k miles).
Strange outcome. Did they provide details of the defect?

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
I wonder how much recuperation (regen) is happening in base (RWD) vs. 4S (or other dual motor AWD)?

It is my understanding that most braking force is done by the front brakes. A RWD Taycan has no front motor, so I wonder if RWD models use more mechanical braking than AWD models?

Maybe f1eng will chime-in on this thread?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Larger motor is on the rear axle and so (not being an engineer) I'd expect most recuperation to come from that and obviously if you have two motors then more potential to recuperate more energy and of top of that you may squeeze a little more with overrun recuperation.

Most braking is performed by the motor(s) and not the brakes (in emergency stopping scenarios this will change) - typically 97% of all braking is performed this way hence why your pads will last "forever".
Sponsored