Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I’m completely undecided on this. I’ve always had brand new cars, definitely for the last 10-15 years anyway though nothing this expensive.

I’ve got a RWD on order, might eventually arrive Q3 2023. Total build price is £92k with my chosen options. I’ve seen a December 2020 registered 4S for sale for £99.9k, 18k miles on it, all the options I’ve chosen plus a couple more. Obviously also has 100bhp ish more power than the RWD too.

I can’t come to a decision though…pay more for 2yr old car but get it now (and arguably a better model) or be patient, save 8k and get that brand new, dealer delivery, all mine feeling. I only do 4k miles a year so the 4S has more miles than I’d ever put on a new car before selling too, but does that even matter? Private plate would mask the age. Cash is in the bank earning pennies in interest.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
While I hope there are buyers when I am ready to trade my Taycan for a newer EV, I don't think I could persuade myself to buy a used EV unless is was still the current model year. I think there's a high risk that Porsche will abandon early adopters with 2020 models by not making software updates available for the expected service life of the car. I don't intend to own any new EV for more than three years.

On the other hand, given the scenario you describe, I might talk myself into keeping the MY23 RWD on order, getting the MY2020 now and trading it in a year down the road when you take delivery of the RWD.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think it comes down to whether you need an all wheel drive vehicle. For us, we had a budget of $100,000 US, and the 2022 RWD Taycan fit all of our needs. Worth mentioning, we also will receive a $7500 Income Tax Credit, Three free years of Electrify America charging, and obviously a full warranty. We paid extra for tires and rim insurance as well as prepaying the two year maintenance expenses. We were able to build to our spec (the first time we’d ever done that) and that whole process was very cool. Ultimately, it’s how you feel….we felt comfortable with the performance of the RWD…others might not, including you. Good luck!

Frankhy

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E Tron
Country flag
I would wait for the brand new RWD. Can't beat the feeling of collecting a brand new car and when it's a Porsche it will be extra special! Although I am biased as I have my RWD on order and expecting to collect in January 2023. But I think the wit will definitely be worth it

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Historically, pre-owned vehicles make sense for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, we still are somewhat unsure of what kind upgrade software we are going to receive from PAG. The timing is just not where I would want it to buy a pre-owned PAG EV.
I purchased a RWD not because of cost, but had no need for an AWD and didn't like the drive of the AWD.

My 2c, wait and see how recent update rolls out and deploys and how satisfied owners are. I am a self proclaimed fanboy of PAG, but sadly this most recent ownership experience has soured me. Will I buy another Porsche sure, but it won't be an EV. Simply put, I won't live long enough to enjoy another Porsche EV. They have a long way to go and frankly, I never would have believed the chaos they have created within this brand.
I only hope Blum (their last hope) can salvage the brand's reputation. Truthfully to turn off a fan boy of my historical purchase history was a feat in and of itself.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Thanks guys, definitely helping to make my mind up :) I really liked the RWD driving experience, might just have to be patient…tho it’s hard!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What is your current car and are you happy with it?

I would wait for the new RWD, with one exception.

Buy the used 4S and trade it in for the RWD IF the following seems likely to play out.....

Russia cuts gas production to Europe and car plants start closing or reducing capacity. Taycan lead times lengthen.

European car prices (new & used) increase sustantially due to the above.

The opposite view is that Russian gas supply doesn't have any impact on European car production. Prices stay same, but demand drops due to cost of living crisis / inflation and your RWD order bumps forward as people cancel orders.

You just need your crystal ball to decide which 😁

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I’m driving an A5 at the mo which is nowhere near as nice as the Taycan but I don’t hate it. It does the job and for my very limited mileage it’s fine.

Ref your crystal ball comment - you’re bang on, we could see the cost of living crisis killing used prices. Though I guess those who can afford a 100k car are unlikely to be very impacted by it

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’ve got a RWD on order, might eventually arrive Q3 2023.
IMO, this is the reason why I'd take 4S.
(as a plan B, you can still sell it after a year, when your new RWD arrives).

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I got the black screen of death on the instrument cluster and the whole thing had to replaced. The car was only 4 months old. The service guy said the part cost £5,500 + vat. You do not want a Taycan out of warranty! Since it is the EV wild west still it is not clear what will happen to used vehicles. These things are all computers and sensors. It is not a case of changing a spark plug and voila. Only a madman would buy a Taycan EV out of warranty. Now I know you are talking about a 2 year old car but I don't know what the warranty is. I am guessing is not Kia's 7 years. I was talking the Kia garage sales rep and he reckons they will just write the Kia's off once the warranty expires.

OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
looks like 3 year warranty on the taycan so the warranty is halfway through already. You're spot on regards warranty...don't want to risk sinking 100k on a (frankly high mileage for its age) car and then soon after having to pay to keep it going. You just never know what's going to happen and I've driven warrantied cars for as long as I can remember. If it was a 5 year then I'd most likely go for it and trade in when the RWD arrives.

Course that would also risk getting used to the 4S power and the RWD with a slightly lower options package might seem like a step down

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
What is your current car and are you happy with it?

Buy the used 4S and trade it in for the RWD

European car prices (new & used) increase sustantially due to the above.

You just need your crystal ball to decide which 😁
This, you could be waiting a long time for a new RWD so why not enjoy depreciation free motoring in a 4s while you wait?

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
Dabz

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Just noticed you can buy an extended warranty for £1910...so that sort of removes the warranty risk factor.

My worry is that I'd get very used to a 4S and not need the RWD order...but if that happens then someone else gets my allocation and we're both happy.

It's just a shame it's done 17k miles in 18 months, I rarely have higher mileage cars (and recognise 17k isn't "high" but it is to me)
Sponsored