Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests

UPDATED 2020-05-24. (software update WLC5):

2020-05-24 Summary

At least 4 definite fixes.
18 Still Open or Unknown state (as in, I couldn't easily retest)
18 Feature Requests - these are additions to software that would make things better, but aren't strictly "bugs".

The rest are closed for various reasons (text updated below).

-------------------------------

The following was complied during my first 11,000 miles of driving my Taycan Turbo.

These have already been communicated to Porsche (via Service Advisors in two countries: US & Canada). My hope is that they have been further communicated to the teams developing the software for Porsche (and Audi). My goal is not to embarrass the company, but to allow them to address the issues and therefore make a very good product even better.

Note: These are not fully blown, titled, properly formatted, reproducible, versioned, regressed Software Bug Reports. I'm not being paid, so you don't get the full nine yards, sorry. (Pay me, and I can do better.) But hopefully these are sufficient that someone inside will either react: "Yeah, already known," or "Huh, I guess we missed that one!"

Please don't copy the whole list if you are asking about just one bug. Each one is given a unique number to make them easier to discuss.

-Don "I can't help it, bugs just happen to me" Louv

• Louv-001: (still open) Turn off car. Music keeps playing. Steering wheel volume/play/pause control stops working. Central touchscreen keeps working. But there’s no play/pause control there.
  • Louv-002: (unknown) Consumption numbers are wrong if set to “mi/kWh”.
  • Louv-003: FIX VERIFIED WLC5: If car is off, but driver hasn’t exited, display is incorrect. Shows empty battery in picture of car. .
  • Louv-004: WORKS AS DESIGNED: Battery level 21%. Couldn’t prewarm. Therefore couldn’t charge above 70kW? That’s sort of understandable, but inconvenient in the cold north.
  • Louv-005: CAN'T REPRODUCE: Weird regen braking issue. First a little then a big jump in regen. Non-linear. Rarely happens, but has happened more than once.
  • Louv-006: WORKS AS DESIGNED: Ice on window. Open door, window can’t lower. It repeatedly retries. (Happened multiple times)
  • Louv-007: 3rd PARTY TO RESOLVE: Cord almost can’t reach car at some ElectrifyAmerica stations. Charging cables are too short, and too inflexible in the cold. I have to park between parking spaces, to align the edge of the car with the edge of the station, and I need to be no more than 2 inches from the bollards. (WalMart, Scarborough, Maine) This has been reported to ElectrifyAmerica.
  • Louv-008: FIX VERIFIED. WLC5: Car’s Nav: The only time the search for “Porsche Charging Service” EV Chargers shows anything is if I’m parked next to the station. Not obvious to Driver where it is searching. If there a radius?
  • Louv-009: FEATURE REQUEST: If I don’t have a WiFi package, then “Radio Plus” and “Apple Music” should be sorted to the end of Media list. Media List should be customizable. Some items I’ll never use.
  • Louv-010: (still open) If the USB stick of misic takes too long to read DO NOT default to Radio. Just wait. Put up a progress dialog.
  • Louv-011: FIXED WLC5, NOT VERIFIED: First login, if car isn’t RDR’ed it tells me my password is wrong. My password was correct. Very Bad User Experience. It could be hours or days until the car is RDR’s and the sales person will have tried to help the customer log into the car, but it won’t work.
  • Louv-012: FEATURE REQUEST: Be able to edit out charge locations (e.g. Nissan, Harley, BMW, etc.). Highlight Porsche Dealerships.
  • Louv-013: FEATURE REQUEST: No obvious way of Preheating just the battery. (not seats, etc.). UPDATE: For new Charging stations (there will always be new ones) the driver needs to be able to indicate that a waypoint or destination is a Charging station.
  • Louv-014: FEATURE REQUEST:: Dash display of current Max Possible Charge Rate. No reason to search for a 350kW (or 150kW) charger if my battery is too cold. (Jalopnik had a partial graph of possible charge rates. Owners Need full image of max charge rates)
  • Louv-015: DUPLICATE How warm can I make the battery with Pre-conditioning? In cold temps, I can’t seem to get it above 45°F or so. Certainly not to 77°F which is required for >150kW charging.
  • Louv-016: FEATURE REQUEST: My Nearest 350kW chargers weren’t in the Nav system… so it can’t invoke the “Thermal Preconditioning system”. Destinations or user input waypoints should allow the user to mark as “DC Fast Charger, please precondition while approaching”. Also, so they can be used for range and charging calculations.
  • Louv-017: FEATURE REQUEST:: Car Security Package: Will it include Tesla-esque Security Video Monitoring/recording?
  • Louv-018: FEATURE REQUEST:: Can 3rd party Apps (like ABetterRoutePlanner.com) send Destinations to Car via an API?
  • Louv-019: FIXED, BUT NOT VERIFIED WLC5: Nav forgot all my settings and history. Forgot previous Nav destinations. Forgot it is an EV. Wants to take me to gas stations. Will probably recover an hour later. This happened EVERY morning on my cross-country trip. Amnesia lasts 10-120 minutes. This is data loss (at least for an hour or so). On a road trip, I might have entered a long, complicated, series of stopovers. All that data entry is lost the next morning. It should ask to resume the previous route.
  • Louv-020: WORKS AS DESIGNED Location alarm doesn’t work if car is on a flatbed.
  • Louv-021: (still open) Valet alarm sets location based on phone’s location, not car’s.
  • Louv-022: FEATURE REQUEST:: Change Interior sport sound? Different Porsche products?
  • Louv-023: (unknown) Weather App does not allow user to search for other locations while driving. Puts up error message in German.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375492087

• Louv-024: FEATURE REQUEST: Finding a fast charging station ‘along the route’ finds things behind me, 385 miles away. Basically finding anything ‘along the route’ doesn’t work as expected. This list should always sort nearest to farthest.
  • Louv-025: (unknown) Speed limit sign detection camera very bad at detecting Canadian 100 km and 110 km signs.
  • Louv-026: FIX VERIFIED WLC5: Weather app forecast always skips tomorrow . It has today and has two days from now (going on for a week) but doesn’t ever have tomorrow. UPDATE: Two days from now is actually Tomorrow. All future days are off by one.
  • Louv-027: WORKS AS DESIGNED: Cruise control matches the speed limit signs if you’re doing a few miles an hour faster but sometimes screws up and thinks that the speed limit went from 110 to 60 and then hits the brakes and slows you down but there was no 60 km/h sign (This results in scaring and annoying the cars behind you due to unexpected braking).
  • Louv-028: FEATURE REQUEST: CarPlay integration: When the CarPlay interface is up, the touchpad interface can’t navigate or control the CarPlay user interface elements. Touching the CarPlay screen works fine. (Comparison: My Mercedes Sprinter van can navigate and control those elements from a controller on the steering wheel)
  • Louv-029: (unknown) CarPlay: Was on Porsche Nav screen. Text message came in. I dismissed the CarPlay screen (‘x’ in upper left?) and was left with a black screen where CarPlay was. Nav did not return. Possible CarPlay issue?

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375492234

• Louv-030: (still open) Doing a Google search asks to use hand writing but hand writing doesn’t work. No response on touchpad. Probably because the Touchpad handwriting doesn't work until you've selected the keyboard, which is hidden while moving.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375492443

• Louv-031: (unknown) Phone plugged in to USB. CarPlay in background. In Nav, search for hotel, select hotel, select ‘...’ icon, select the listed phone number. Response: error message: “No phone connected.”
  • Louv-032: FEATURE REQUEST: Need a quicker (one tap?) way to get from main Nav screen to the ‘Edit Route’ screen.
  • Louv-033: (Workaround Found. Not a bug). Feature Request: There’s no (apparent) way to push warm air to the windshield except Full Blast front defrost. I need something between 0 and 11.
  • Louv-034: (unknown) MP3 data should display unicode characters (other scripts: Arabic, Cyrillic, hebrew, kanji, chinese, etc)

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375492770

• Louv-035: (still open) When viewing a Stopover, the charge state upon arrival refreshes constantly, so it is a blue circle more than a display of data. Especially when the car doesn’t know about the next charge station, just give up and say Unknown.
  • Louv-036: FEATURE REQUEST: see distance (and arrival time) to next Stopover on main display, without having to tap into UI.
  • Louv-037: (unknown) When viewing a Stopover, the Arrival and Distance lines don’t update as you drive.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375492931

• Louv-038: FEATURE REQUEST: In Weather App, currently it searches for (and shows a line for) weather at current location and at final destination. Request: Show a line for ever Stopover location.
  • Louv-039: FEATURE REQUEST: The Nav’s data on locations of charging stations is terrible and clearly not being maintained. For an EV, this is of paramount importance. Porsche needs to find a way of having solid, reliable, up-to-date information about All DC Fast chargers, Level 2 chargers (that aren’t at competing car company dealerships), and also RV parks with 50A hookups (because the Porsche Connect Charger shipping in every car comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug) as a last resort.
  • Louv-040: FEATURE REQUEST: The “Connect” smartphone app should show the current temperature of the battery. And, maybe the trend in temperature (is it warming up or cooling down)
  • Louv-041: FEATURE REQUEST: need a way to tell the Nav: I need to arrive at my destination with 75% (or other arbitrary amount of) charge.
  • Louv-042: (still open) StopOver points are blue flags on the map, but white flags on the linear chart. White flags on the map are charging stations on the linear chart. Those should be consistent. Also the numbering on the blue flags is different and inconsistent with the numbering of the flags on the chart. It’s confusing.
  • Louv-043: (unknown) Nav: Under ‘route options’ turning on or off Porsche Charging Planner causes the NAV to go insane. Confused. Must cancel route guidance entirely and re-enter from scratch.
  • Louv-044: DUPLICATE: Push front defrost button once for full on, press again for half-speed, press again for off. Related to Louv-033.
  • Louv-045: (still open) IMPORTANT: In the “edit route” display, the entire text description of the charging station (or destination) should be somehow visible. (Maybe a slide, or tap?). The driver needs to be able to see if the charging station (automatically chosen by the charging planner) is 50kW, or 350kW, or 19kW, etc. Also, full address including city needs to be readable.
  • Louv-046: MINOR: When there is no destination, the “Information” display line for “Arrival Time” defaults to kilometers when the user has set preferences to Miles.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375493076

• Louv-047: MINOR: When the GPS has not woken up and gotten a fix yet, the “Information” display line for “Altitude” defaults to “32767 ft”. It should probably be “—“ or something non-specific, but not $7FFF.
  • Louv-048: CAN NOT REPRODUCE: When attempting to back up, after being in Park on a 10% grade downhill, the car Faulted with a Motor Control Error.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375493198

• Louv-049: (unknown) While cruising on the freeway switching from normal mode to range mode momentarily seems to hit the brakes (or at least invoke hard regen as the front motor is spinning up and the rear motor is switching off)
  • Louv-050: OPERATIONS ISSUE: Sometimes the Porsche Charging app does not have the same stations available that are available through the electrify America House (specifically El Paso, Texas Walmart to 350 kW Chargers were not available in the Porsche app and they were available in the electrify America app.)
  • Louv-051: FEATURE REQUEST: The Porsche Charging App should have all the wonderful features of the EA App. Things like Text Message Notifications of charging sessions starting, ending, and any 30+ minute charges.
  • Louv-052: FEATURE REQUEST: If my car is in park, but “ignition” is on, that time while parked should not be calculated into average speed calculations in the Trip statistics. Or at least make it an option (Average Speed While Moving vs. Average Speed Of Entire Trip with charging stop time included)

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584375491904

Last edited:

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you for doing this - a very thorough and organized report. Methinks you have worked in software - nice catch on the 0x7FFF.

Do you have any idea if someone at Porsche has (or will) look at this list and/or start fixing these bugs?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for doing this - a very thorough and organized report. Methinks you have worked in software - nice catch on the 0x7FFF.

Do you have any idea if someone at Porsche has (or will) look at this list and/or start fixing these bugs?
I spent 30 years as a Software & Hardware Quality Assurance engineer, manager, and director.

Porsche Corporate has not responded.

Dealer Service Advisors & Managers have been excellent, but probably won’t be fixing the software.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Yes Thank You for summarising all these bugs and requests! I really hope that Porsche and perhaps VW group will take these reports seriously.
Together with other rorts on YouTube etc there is quite a lot of issues that needs to be addressed.

I hope you will continue to give us further insight on your experiences with the Taycan , even if we will not see such a huge trip report again?

Thanks for sharing all your experiences and this summary.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Anyone worth their weight in QA would recognize a max short int as a default value. :cool:
I am sure that the bugs and feature requests are on Porsches list. Just wondering how their severity is set. ;)

@louv I do would question Louv-014, even if battery is too cold at the moment for fast charging, it does heat while charging by use of the battery heater as well as the act of charging so it's not so clear what charger speed should be preferred. Though I would admit it may be nice to have it ask for a preference with a default at what it thinks it could use. Nothing over 150kW is needed if battery over 76%; however, you would seldom be looking for a charger in that state either.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Great work! I one had my Taycan for a few days and haven’t found any bugs yeat!
I will travel will Porsche to test IONITY charge stations.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests
Wow, what a long list! This is super helpful for current and soon to be owners, so that they know this is a known problem.

Seeing this, and the fact that VW produces thousands of ID.3 for the parking lot because of software problems, I wonder why Porsche slowed down production/delivery of the cars.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone worth their weight in QA would recognize a max short int as a default value. :cool:
I am sure that the bugs and feature requests are on Porsches list. Just wondering how their severity is set. ;)

@louv I do would question Louv-014, even if battery is too cold at the moment for fast charging, it does heat while charging by use of the battery heater as well as the act of charging so it's not so clear what charger speed should be preferred. Though I would admit it may be nice to have it ask for a preference with a default at what it thinks it could use. Nothing over 150kW is needed if battery over 76%; however, you would seldom be looking for a charger in that state either.
re: Louv-14: I'd also love for the car to tell me what the max expected charge rate is, so that I can determine if the Charging Station is having a problem. Example: Battery Temp: 89°F, SoC: 29%. Expected Charge Rate: 150kW. Charging Station giving me only 47kW. How do I report a problem? More importantly, Who do I report the problem to? Porsche or the Charging Station Company?

What I have found is that if the battery temperature is too low for a really fast charge, the charge rate starts out slower (e.g. ~100kW) and then increases as the battery warms up (climbs up to ~150kW).

Of course, Charge rate always slows as it gets full. (down to ~50, then ~30, and then ~16kW) That is expected behavior.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
re: Louv-14: I'd also love for the car to tell me what the max expected charge rate is, so that I can determine if the Charging Station is having a problem. Example: Battery Temp: 89°F, SoC: 29%. Expected Charge Rate: 150kW. Charging Station giving me only 47kW. How do I report a problem? More importantly, Who do I report the problem to? Porsche or the Charging Station Company?

What I have found is that if the battery temperature is too low for a really fast charge, the charge rate starts out slower (e.g. ~100kW) and then increases as the battery warms up (climbs up to ~150kW).

Of course, Charge rate always slows as it gets full. (down to ~50, then ~30, and then ~16kW) That is expected behavior.
Here is a good graph that is from Porsche, but I found here from CarAdvice
Showing 270kW charging possible 0-20% SoC above 31C and to ~25% SoC above 34C. This was probably quite attainable when they did the 3425 km/2128mi 24hr endurance run at Nardò averaging ~200kph. :cool:

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving 1584462218652

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I printed a copy of that charge capacity matrix and was carrying it in the door pocket! :) Jalopnik had it in the Detailed Tech article about the Taycan. I really want to find the rest of that matrix. Down to -10°C, up to 45°C, and up to 100% SoC. Someday... Dear Porsche...

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Louv,
Thanks for your excellent list. I passed the list to my local dealer so they could see what they might be up against as we get our cars. When I was working we called these issues Software Trouble Reports (STR). In the twilight of my career I responsible for a software test lab devoted to finding issues in our aircraft's mission software. We also tested through Y2K which was not as bad as feared. Hopefully these issues are known or are being worked on by Porsche.

Rob

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Louv,
Thanks for your excellent list. I passed the list to my local dealer so they could see what they might be up against as we get our cars. When I was working we called these issues Software Trouble Reports (STR). In the twilight of my career I responsible for a software test lab devoted to finding issues in our aircraft's mission software. We also tested through Y2K which was not as bad as feared. Hopefully these issues are known or are being worked on by Porsche.

Rob
Excellent idea! I also passed the list to the regional trainer.

Yes, STRs. I started calling them bugs in the (cough) 80s... and never really stopped. The profession has changed quite a bit over the decades, but it certainly hasn’t gotten any easier given the incredible complexity of modern systems.

Aircraft software always scared me. I stuck (mostly) to consumer electronics. No one would die if their iPod failed to play a song!

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks for the list, and one stupid question: How do you preheat the battery in the first place? By selecting a charger as a waypoint?
IIRC I saw on a picture of the English UI something like "preheat battery" on the middle control panel, but never found that button in the German UI...

Anybody have enlightenment?

Cheers,
Henrik

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks for the list, and one stupid question: How do you preheat the battery in the first place? By selecting a charger as a waypoint?
IIRC I saw on a picture of the English UI something like "preheat battery" on the middle control panel, but never found that button in the German UI...

Anybody have enlightenment?

Cheers,
Henrik
The only two ways I know are route to a known DCFC (which may be tricky for a while as I hear that the database is not 100% complete) or select driving mode Sport+.

The preheat option on the Charging UI was discussed in a video I watched some months back as doing cabin preheating, not the battery.

Maybe other options are coming, but that is all I know of.

((Edit))
Oops forgot one. Do a few launches prior to charging, high draw on the battery will heat it up and provide driver satisfaction at the same time. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: