First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello Ron,

thanks for your answer. The route to fast charger-option is what I tried, and it seemed to work. I also tried averaging 110mph on the A9, which also worked (the 4S pulled 248 kW then from a Ionity charger). But I was missing a simple "preheat the damn thing now and don't try to be smart"-button. The preheat option you mention corresponds to "Standklimatisierung", which is exactly what you write, cabin preheating - a nifty feature in these winters while the car is still hooked up to a charger.

The launching is a good one, that's new!

Except that right now we have de-facto lockdown here in Munich and the streets are empty.

Cheers,
Henrik
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Except that right now we have de-facto lockdown here in Munich and the streets are empty.
Streets are empty?? The perfect time to go out!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks for the list, and one stupid question: How do you preheat the battery in the first place? By selecting a charger as a waypoint?
IIRC I saw on a picture of the English UI something like "preheat battery" on the middle control panel, but never found that button in the German UI...

Anybody have enlightenment?

Cheers,
Henrik
German's have the Autobahn, no preheating required! :angel:

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I spent 30 years as a Software & Hardware Quality Assurance engineer, manager, and director.

Porsche Corporate has not responded.

Dealer Service Advisors & Managers have been excellent, but probably won’t be fixing the software.
Real thorough job on this Don. Will be interested to see if Porsche reaches out to you about this.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Just got an email from Porsche:

Thank you for contacting Porsche China.

After we received your emails, much effort has been made to investigate the reason of your vehicle delay and we would like to express my gratitude for your great patience.

Regarding your issue we have been in close contact with Porsche AG for further assistance and confirmation. According to the feedback from Porsche AG, the reason for the delay is that your vehicle needs to receive a software update before getting shipped to China. This software update will be available from mid of May 2020 which causes the delivery delay of your Taycan 4S. Due to the current situation with the Coronavirus and its limitations, we cannot confirm a specific date at the moment. We recommend to stay in contact with your responsible Porsche Centre Shenzhen Nanshan, which will keep you updated regarding the delivery date.

We are really sorry for the delay and for the experience, which does not reflect the image that Porsche strives to achieve. Thus, we kindly ask you to accept our sincere apologies for the obvious disappointment.

Assuring you of our best attention should it be required in the future.

Best Regards,

Porsche (China) Motors Limited

Louv, I think they took your report serious! :clap:

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Just got an email from Porsche:

Louv, I think they took your report serious! :clap:
Oops. Sorry about that!!! :cool:

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Don:
I spent the last of my 20 year program director career with software engineers designing flight controls. My son is a software engineer. I love the way software engineers think and I am so appreciative for you doing this. I will keep my car on order as most of these I can live with. I am confident that because you inputted this through both the US and Canadian services, Porsche will listen. I only hope there is a way to do what Tesla does and update the software in your garage, rather than having to take it in. This will take a while to fix. Thank goodness you didn't have many issues with the car's standard operation.

Thank you again!

Chuck J

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don:
I spent the last of my 20 year program director career with software engineers designing flight controls. My son is a software engineer. I love the way software engineers think and I am so appreciative for you doing this. I will keep my car on order as most of these I can live with. I am confident that because you inputted this through both the US and Canadian services, Porsche will listen. I only hope there is a way to do what Tesla does and update the software in your garage, rather than having to take it in. This will take a while to fix. Thank goodness you didn't have many issues with the car's standard operation.

Thank you again!

Chuck J
To speak our lingo: every bug had a Workaround. No bug compromised safety.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An appointment to install "Software Update WLC5" is scheduled for my car on Friday. I do not know the contents of this update.

Anyone have insight or a source of further information? I will attempt to get more information from my Service Advisor.

scottchahalis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne, Macan, Panamera, Taycan
Country flag
Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests

The following was complied during my first 11,000 miles of driving my Taycan Turbo.

These have already been communicated to Porsche (via Service Advisors in two countries: US & Canada). My hope is that they have been further communicated to the teams developing the software for Porsche (and Audi). My goal is not to embarrass the company, but to allow them to address the issues and therefore make a very good product even better.

Note: These are not fully blown, titled, properly formatted, reproducible, versioned, regressed Software Bug Reports. I'm not being paid, so you don't get the full nine yards, sorry. (Pay me, and I can do better.) But hopefully these are sufficient that someone inside will either react: "Yeah, already known," or "Huh, I guess we missed that one!"

Please don't copy the whole list if you are asking about just one bug. Each one is given a unique number to make them easier to discuss.

-Don "I can't help it, bugs just happen to me" Louv

• Louv-001: Turn off car. Music keeps playing. Steering wheel volume/play/pause control stops working. Central touchscreen keeps working. But there’s no play/pause control there.
  • Louv-002: Consumption numbers are wrong if set to “mi/kWh”.
  • Louv-003: If car is off, but driver hasn’t exited, display is incorrect. Shows empty battery in picture of car. Scary.

Image.jpeg

• Louv-004: Battery level 21%. Couldn’t prewarm. Therefore couldn’t charge above 70kW? That’s sort of understandable, but inconvenient in the cold north.
  • Louv-005: Weird regen braking issue. First a little then a big jump in regen. Non-linear. Rarely happens, but has happened more than once.
  • Louv-006: Ice on window. Open door, window can’t lower. It repeatedly retries. (Happened multiple times)
  • Louv-007: Cord almost can’t reach car at some ElectrifyAmerica stations. Charging cables are too short, and too inflexible in the cold. I have to park between parking spaces, to align the edge of the car with the edge of the station, and I need to be no more than 2 inches from the bollards. (WalMart, Scarborough, Maine) This has been reported to ElectrifyAmerica.
  • Louv-008: CRITICAL: Car’s Nav: The only time the search for “Porsche Charging Service” EV Chargers shows anything is if I’m parked next to the station. Not obvious to Driver where it is searching. If there a radius?
  • Louv-009: If I don’t have a WiFi package, then “Radio Plus” and “Apple Music” should be sorted to the end of Media list. Media List should be customizable. Some items I’ll never use.
  • Louv-010: If the USB stick of misic takes too long to read DO NOT default to Radio. Just wait. Put up a progress dialog.
  • Louv-011: CRITICAL: First login, if car isn’t RDR’ed it tells me my password is wrong. My password was correct. Very Bad User Experience. It could be hours or days until the car is RDR’s and the sales person will have tried to help the customer log into the car, but it won’t work.
  • Louv-012: Be able to edit out charge locations (e.g. Nissan, Harley, BMW, etc.). Highlight Porsche Dealerships.
  • Louv-013: No obvious way of Preheating just the battery. (not seats, etc.). UPDATE: For new Charging stations (there will always be new ones) the driver needs to be able to indicate that a waypoint or destination is a Charging station.
  • Louv-014: Feature Request: Dash display of current Max Possible Charge Rate. No reason to search for a 350kW (or 150kW) charger if my battery is too cold. (Jalopnik had a partial graph of possible charge rates. Owners Need full image of max charge rates)
  • Louv-015: How warm can I make the battery with Pre-conditioning? In cold temps, I can’t seem to get it above 45°F or so. Certainly not to 77°F which is required for >150kW charging.
  • Louv-016: IMPORTANT: My Nearest 350kW chargers weren’t in the Nav system… so it can’t invoke the “Thermal Preconditioning system”. Destinations or user input waypoints should allow the user to mark as “DC Fast Charger, please precondition while approaching”. Also, so they can be used for range and charging calculations.
  • Louv-017: Feature Request: Car Security Package: Will it include Tesla-esque Security Video Monitoring/recording?
  • Louv-018: Feature Request: Can 3rd party Apps (like ABetterRoutePlanner.com) send Destinations to Car via an API?
  • Louv-019: (UPDATED) CRITICAL: Nav forgot all my settings and history. Forgot previous Nav destinations. Forgot it is an EV. Wants to take me to gas stations. Will probably recover an hour later. This happened EVERY morning on my cross-country trip. Amnesia lasts 10-120 minutes. This is data loss (at least for an hour or so). On a road trip, I might have entered a long, complicated, series of stopovers. All that data entry is lost the next morning. It should ask to resume the previous route.
  • Louv-020: Location alarm doesn’t work if car is on a flatbed.
  • Louv-021: Valet alarm sets location based on phone’s location, not car’s.
  • Louv-022: Feature Request: Change Interior sport sound? Different Porsche products?
  • Louv-023: Weather App does not allow user to search for other locations while driving. Puts up error message in German.

Image_1.jpeg

• Louv-024: (UPDATED) Finding a fast charging station ‘along the route’ finds things behind me, 385 miles away. Basically finding anything ‘along the route’ doesn’t work as expected. This list should always sort nearest to farthest.
  • Louv-025: Speed limit sign detection camera very bad at detecting Canadian 100 km and 110 km signs.
  • Louv-026: Weather app forecast always skips tomorrow . It has today and has two days from now (going on for a week) but doesn’t ever have tomorrow. UPDATE: Two days from now is actually Tomorrow. All future days are off by one.
  • Louv-027: Cruise control matches the speed limit signs if you’re doing a few miles an hour faster but sometimes screws up and thinks that the speed limit went from 110 to 60 and then hits the brakes and slows you down but there was no 60 km/h sign (This results in scaring and annoying the cars behind you due to unexpected braking).
  • Louv-028: (UPDATED) CarPlay integration: When the CarPlay interface is up, the touchpad interface can’t navigate or control the CarPlay user interface elements. Touching the CarPlay screen works fine. (Comparison: My Mercedes Sprinter van can navigate and control those elements from a controller on the steering wheel)
  • Louv-029: CarPlay: Was on Porsche Nav screen. Text message came in. I dismissed the CarPlay screen (‘x’ in upper left?) and was left with a black screen where CarPlay was. Nav did not return. Possible CarPlay issue?

Image_2.jpeg

• Louv-030: Doing a Google search asks to use hand writing but hand writing doesn’t work. No response on touchpad.

Image_3.jpeg

• Louv-031: Phone plugged in to USB. CarPlay in background. In Nav, search for hotel, select hotel, select ‘...’ icon, select the listed phone number. Response: error message: “No phone connected.”
  • Louv-032: Feature Request: Need a quicker (one tap?) way to get from main Nav screen to the ‘Edit Route’ screen.
  • Louv-033: (UPDATED: Workaround Found. Not a bug). Feature Request: There’s no (apparent) way to push warm air to the windshield except Full Blast front defrost. I need something between 0 and 11.
  • Louv-034: MP3 data should display unicode characters (other scripts: Arabic, Cyrillic, hebrew, kanji, chinese, etc)

Image_4.jpeg

• Louv-035: When viewing a Stopover, the charge state upon arrival refreshes constantly, so it is a blue circle more than a display of data. Especially when the car doesn’t know about the next charge station, just give up and say Unknown.
  • Louv-036: (UPDATED) Feature Request: see distance (and arrival time) to next Stopover on main display, without having to tap into UI.
  • Louv-037: When viewing a Stopover, the Arrival and Distance lines don’t update as you drive.

Image_5.jpeg

• Louv-038: Feature Request: In Weather App, currently it searches for (and shows a line for) weather at current location and at final destination. Request: Show a line for ever Stopover location.
  • Louv-039: CRITICAL: The Nav’s data on locations of charging stations is terrible and clearly not being maintained. For an EV, this is of paramount importance. Porsche needs to find a way of having solid, reliable, up-to-date information about All DC Fast chargers, Level 2 chargers (that aren’t at competing car company dealerships), and also RV parks with 50A hookups (because the Porsche Connect Charger shipping in every car comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug) as a last resort.

• Louv-040: Feature Request: The “Connect” smartphone app should show the current temperature of the battery. And, maybe the trend in temperature (is it warming up or cooling down)
  • Louv-041: need a way to tell the Nav: I need to arrive at my destination with 75% (or other arbitrary amount of) charge.
  • Louv-042: StopOver points are blue flags on the map, but white flags on the linear chart. White flags on the map are charging stations on the linear chart. Those should be consistent. Also the numbering on the blue flags is different and inconsistent with the numbering of the flags on the chart. It’s confusing.
  • Louv-043: Nav: Under ‘route options’ turning on or off Porsche Charging Planner causes the NAV to go insane. Confused. Must cancel route guidance entirely and re-enter from scratch.
  • Louv-044: Feature Request: Push front defrost button once for full on, press again for half-speed, press again for off. Related to Louv-033.
  • Louv-045: IMPORTANT: In the “edit route” display, the entire text description of the charging station (or destination) should be somehow visible. (Maybe a slide, or tap?). The driver needs to be able to see if the charging station (automatically chosen by the charging planner) is 50kW, or 350kW, or 19kW, etc. Also, full address including city needs to be readable.
  • Louv-046: When there is no destination, the “Information” display line for “Arrival Time” defaults to kilometers when the user has set preferences to Miles.

Image_6.jpeg

• Louv-047: When the GPS has not woken up and gotten a fix yet, the “Information” display line for “Altitude” defaults to “32767 ft”. It should probably be “—“ or something non-specific, but not $7FFF.
  • Louv-048: When attempting to back up, after being in Park on a 10% grade downhill, the car Faulted with a Motor Control Error.

Image_7.jpeg

• Louv-049: While cruising on the freeway switching from normal mode to range mode momentarily seems to hit the brakes (or at least invoke hard regen as the front motor is spinning up and the rear motor is switching off)
  • Louv-050: Sometimes the Porsche Charging app does not have the same stations available that are available through the electrify America House (specifically El Paso, Texas Walmart to 350 kW Chargers were not available in the Porsche app and they were available in the electrify America app.)
  • Louv-051: Feature Request: The Porsche Charging App should have all the wonderful features of the EA App. Things like Text Message Notifications of charging sessions starting, ending, and any 30+ minute charges.
  • Louv-052: If my car is in park, but “ignition” is on, that time while parked should not be calculated into average speed calculations in the Trip statistics. Or at least make it an option (Average Speed While Moving vs. Average Speed Of Entire Trip with charging stop time included)
Thanks for detailed feedback. I hope Porsche is reading and sends you some Porsche swag! :)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don - Ask if there is a way to bring up on the display what software version per subsystem is installed so we can reference that against known bugs on certain s/w versions.

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
An appointment to install "Software Update WLC5" is scheduled for my car on Friday. I do not know the contents of this update.

Anyone have insight or a source of further information? I will attempt to get more information from my Service Advisor.
Did your upgrade fix any of your bugs?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did your upgrade fix any of your bugs?
I haven’t really gone through the list. I’ve been trying to track this other charging issue.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Release Notes from Software Update WLC5:
(sorry it took me so long to get to this)

I'll go and see how many of these map directly to verifiable fixes of the bugs I reported.

Note: Just because I reported it, does NOT mean they didn't already know about it! From the dates on the updated software versions, this software was in process (and probably in testing) before I reported my buglist to Porsche.

Porsche Taycan Bugs & Feature Requests - Results of 11,000 miles of driving IMG_8033
Sponsored