Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Seriously, if you are buying a $200K plus car and worried about installing a radar detector because of electrical reliability, just either wait, or buy another car.
Well that certainly was unhelpful and a bit snarky.
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seriously, if you are buying a $200K plus car and worried about installing a radar detector because of electrical reliability, just either wait, or buy another car.
I am not seriously worried about the car. I would like Porsche to hurry up and fix this q12v battery bug. That's all I was saying. ;)

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@louv did the loop ever get closed on the 12V battery discharge? Did you ever get any statement of resolution back from your dealer? I’m kinda dying to know what corner case in the power management software stack you triggered.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
@louv did the loop ever get closed on the 12V battery discharge? Did you ever get any statement of resolution back from your dealer? I’m kinda dying to know what corner case in the power management software stack you triggered.
Loop has not been closed. Bug has not been fixed.

My Advice:
Basically, if you are connected to a Level 2 charger, do not connect to the car via the smartphone app and change Timer or Profile settings.

Porsche has never made direct contact with me. Never directly ask me for help. My dealership has been great but they don’t have all the info.

it’s been eight weeks since first reporting this bug and my reproducing this bug on my car has killed my 12v battery. It was replaced without question under warranty. That’s nice, but not enough.

It’s time for communication. Either they tell me they have a fix in progress or fly me to Germany and I’ll help reproduce the bug. This is getting old. I want all of us to have this fixed.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Loop has not been closed. Bug has not been fixed.
Thanks for the update. I hope the issue has been at least acknowledged internally and there’s some fix on the way. My 4S is due in a month and I hope to not run afoul of this issue. Thanks for being the pioneer.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s time for communication. Either they tell me they have a fix in progress or fly me to Germany and I’ll help reproduce the bug. This is getting old. I want all of us to have this fixed.
Thanks for being a pioneer, I am sure everyone here appreciates it.

Have you tried elevating this beyond the dealer? To Porsche America or even to Germany? Maybe hard, but one way that seems to work at Tesla is via Twitter and Facebook where maybe someone will pick it up and try to get attention.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m sure, from what limited information my dealership has shared, that Porsche is aware of the problem and wants a solution... but there doesn’t seem to be any fix yet.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for being a pioneer, I am sure everyone here appreciates it.

Have you tried elevating this beyond the dealer? To Porsche America or even to Germany? Maybe hard, but one way that seems to work at Tesla is via Twitter and Facebook where maybe someone will pick it up and try to get attention.
No. I haven’t tried any other public forum. I don’t really want to be a dick about this. I don’t want to hurt Porsche. I just want a fix.

I can easily see certain EV blog sites (who are bent towards the cult of Elon) trying to damage Porsche. Or at least gloat about it. I don’t really want to see that.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
No. I haven’t tried any other public forum. I don’t really want to be a dick about this. I don’t want to hurt Porsche. I just want a fix.

I can easily see certain EV blog sites (who are bent towards the cult of Elon) trying to damage Porsche. Or at least gloat about it. I don’t really want to see that.
Yeah, I hear you. I was just wondering if there was a way to use those forums to get their attention without being a jerk. But you are right, no matter how mild the comment about a non-Tesla, some people can use it like a club.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I just want a fix.
Fortunately, there's a reasonable workaround for now, and you can use the car without the profiles/timers.

It's unfortunately very hard to get any visibility into how Porsche is managing these "teething problems"; there are layers on layers of hierarchy and tradition, plus despite the 7+ months since release, it's early days still, and the whole COVID-19 thing has tossed a relatively large wrench into normal operations. So there are limited resources, we're all in the dark, and frustration builds.

I'm trying to only reach out to my SA twice a day; as you said, I don't want to be a jerk, but it's a new car and I kind of want to be able to, you know, drive it and stuff?

The upside - I think it's been at the dealer all the way through peak pine pollen, and so I won't be driving around a dusty yellow horror when I do get it back.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fortunately, there's a reasonable workaround for now, and you can use the car without the profiles/timers.
If I understand Don correctly, the problem doesn't occur by the use of timers but by the action of changing those after the car has started charging. If you simply set up the timer ahead of time and don't fiddle with it I do not think the problem occurs. Is that a correct understanding @louv?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I understand Don correctly, the problem doesn't occur by the use of timers but by the action of changing those after the car has started charging. If you simply set up the timer ahead of time and don't fiddle with it I do not think the problem occurs. Is that a correct understanding @louv?
Yes. That’s correct.
At least that is my current assessment of the bug.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Even if they have a fix (and they probably do), it should take months to release, and I'd expect it to get rolled into another already-planned update. Since this would be a change, the entire system has to go through all the tests again to produce release firmware.

And that's the way I hope things stay. You want your car company to follow the automotive SPICE process fully and completely. Updating core systems isn't the same as updating the map data. I've worked with Tier 1 Japanese auto suppliers, and the amount of testing and documentation is insane. But that's why they won the market with quality over the shoddy US brands.

In the meantime, Porsche will lean on its dealers to take care of its customers. The alternative is to rush out things and use their customers as beta testers, and that's not what a premium brand should be doing.
Sponsored