MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's clear, though, that unlike Tesla, not all updates are OTA. That more conservative approach isn't a bad thing (bricking cars is something I'm sure they want to avoid), but it is less convenient, and over the nearly 8 years I had a Model S, I only had a single software "delivery" issue (an update that wouldn't install) that was solved with a single email and one button press on their end.
I lead software and product design teams for a living and I’m terrified about a steady stream of OTA updates, other than data/content. I’ll bet that we have to visit our dealers for at least 2-3 years for substantial, core updates to PCM and that as Porsche gets more experience, they move more of the platform updates to OTA. One issue will be the sheer size of the codebase and delivering that over LTE connection if customers don’t have WiFi coverage where they park their cars. What gives me hope is that unlike PCMs of the past, it appears there’s very little of this generation have functionality burned into ROMs, so updating the entire UI of the car, across all the screens, should be possible.

One area I’m curious about is whether the dashboard, PCM screen and lower control screen are managed by one system and set of software or if they’re independent systems on separate stacks with separate runtimes.
Sponsored

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche has made us aware that the PCM keeps rebooting on a number of Porsche vehicles. There is an easy way to resolve this issue. Please see the following steps or view the video below:

1. Press and hold the PCM info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.

2. Immediately select the following from the PCM CAR > OPTION > Set PCM System > Reset PCM > Vehicle Handover > Yes > Yes

i hope it will help you
I’m not aware of a PCM info button on the Taycan.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I lead software and product design teams for a living and I’m terrified about a steady stream of OTA updates, other than data/content. I’ll bet that we have to visit our dealers for at least 2-3 years for substantial, core updates to PCM and that as Porsche gets more experience, they move more of the platform updates to OTA. One issue will be the sheer size of the codebase and delivering that over LTE connection if customers don’t have WiFi coverage where they park their cars. What gives me hope is that unlike PCMs of the past, it appears there’s very little of this generation have functionality burned into ROMs, so updating the entire UI of the car, across all the screens, should be possible.
Being crazy about updates is clearly not a good thing, but there's a balance between "locked as delivered" and "weekly updates" that I hope they're going to achieve.

Their OTA delivery is going to be hobbled by the fact that they don't currently have a way to connect to your home WiFi. The charger can connect to your home WIFi—the charger!—but the car can't. There's WiFi in there, though, so maybe that's coming.

One area I’m curious about is whether the dashboard, PCM screen and lower control screen are managed by one system and set of software or if they’re independent systems on separate stacks with separate runtimes.
The instrument cluster feels different than the main and lower screens. On the Tesla they were separate processes, if not separate CPUs. I'd be shocked if the 'safety' systems (which includes the cluster) weren't entirely separate from the "convenience" systems.

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
I’ll bet that we have to visit our dealers for at least 2-3 years for substantial, core updates to PCM and that as Porsche gets more experience, they move more of the platform updates to OTA.
I don't think they can. One reason that VW Group did a complete redesign of the ID.3's computing architecture was that the previous one was simply incapable of a full OTA update. It consisted of literally hundreds of specialized controllers that might not even be connected to the in-car network.

Their next generation architecture is centered around 3 high performance computers (ICAS - In Car Application Servers) and a high performance data network. Something like this is required for a full OTA capability and I don't think the Taycan has it.

See here: https://assets.vector.com/cms/conte...rnet-Adaptive-AUTOSAR-at-VW_Krieger_Wille.pdf

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Their OTA delivery is going to be hobbled by the fact that they don't currently have a way to connect to your home WiFi. The charger can connect to your home WIFi—the charger!—but the car can't. There's WiFi in there, though, so maybe that's coming.
Wifi is definitely in the car as the technical data specs list:

IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz)

I hope it’s not just for in-car WiFi connections out over LTE, so we’ll see if that gets activated for us in the not too distant future.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For #8, don't hold your breath. Porsche doesn't have any plans to do Android Auto.
Well, except, they've already shipped Android Auto in their retrofit head unit for older cars. While it's quite likely most of their users have iPhones, there's a not insignificant number of people who use Android, especially in the EU. Why exclude them?

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
One bug from me too. I enabled homelink location, but the homelink screen never comes up as I get home. Why in the world does not Porsche take a page out of Tesla's playbook and just open the damn garage already - why even bother with bringing up a screen?.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
One bug from me too. I enabled homelink location, but the homelink screen never comes up as I get home. Why in the world does not Porsche take a page out of Tesla's playbook and just open the damn garage already - why even bother with bringing up a screen?.
Can a Tesla open the gates, then the garage door?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
YES! It can even close both after you if they have no auto closing and you want that..... pretty sweet. However, Tesla has only the standard 3 devices for the HomeLink and the Taycan has 8....

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A lot of people on this forum discuss OTA updates and hope for them. Is there any actual indication from Porsche that OTA updates may be something they are planning?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A lot of people on this forum discuss OTA updates and hope for them. Is there any actual indication from Porsche that OTA updates may be something they are planning?
There is some information about OTA in the Good to Know app. Some on demand functions seem to be possible to down load etc. But there is no explanation of the extent of the OTA downloads? See screen shot.

Porsche Taycan Bugs / issues I've noticed so far, after a few hours, and much less than 11,000 miles of driving DAB574A8-C4BA-4A27-BCD5-1A308251CE78

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Our Model 3 automatically opens both the gate and garage door when in proximity. I wish the Taycan would be this advanced. Maybe one day...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Our Model 3 automatically opens both the gate and garage door when in proximity. I wish the Taycan would be this advanced. Maybe one day...
Maybe come in the future. Not sure how invested Porsche is in that field. I think they are missing a trick with subscriptions. We’re so used to paying monthly for cloud subscriptions. Makes sense that you could activate features etc.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Makes sense that you could activate features etc.
The Connect "store" let you buy software based features post-delivery, so they're already there...
Sponsored