Build Questions/Critiques

lparrish3511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet (ordered 2022 Taycan 4S)
Country flag
Hi, all,

First timer here, though I've been lurking around on these forums for a while to gather info to help decide on what my next car is gonna be (was deciding between a new Model S vs Taycan, but after renting a Taycan, . . . I couldn't go back). So I've placed the order, and the change freeze date is coming up, so I just wanted to ask those who know more and have more experience whether there were any "must have" options that I'm not selecting or if there are some that I added that others have found to be not worth it.

A few explanations behind some of the choices...
-- I really like the looks of the 20" & 21" wheels, but I'm also really big on ride comfort/smoothness and avoiding any potential blowouts. The 19" wheels are kinda "meh" (imo), but I'm placing comfort/ride security over looks and performance here. I also want to be able to max out the potential range (my understanding is that 19" wheels will have a slightly longer range than 20"/21"), and
-- Was debating over getting the insulated/thermal glass, but I read another user saying how they worked a little TOO well (ie, to the point of sometimes not hearing sirens, others honking at you, etc.). I already play my music relatively loud and felt I didn't need any other factors impeding my ability to hear. I don't know if the Taycan I rented had the insulated glass, but it was plenty quiet from what I'm used to (a 2015 Lexus IS250, so quite a step up for me here).
-- Regarding the Porsche InnoDrive, I've heard good and bad on this. I definitely want the ACC and ALK, so I just went ahead and added it. But it sounds like a lot of drivers opt not to use it.
-- Performance Package - I definitely wanted the Sport Chrono Package for the GT Wheel and the RAS; don't care about the Porsche Electric Sport Sound, but I thought the delta between what I already had and the full package was worth it to add the PTV+ and the PDCC Sport.
-- Interior in Slate Grey - does the standard (not the full leather option) still look nice, or is it worth it to go full leather? Regarding color, I know black or two-toned is more standard, but I've always liked colors a bit "off" from the standard (ie, off-white instead of white, charcoal instead of grey). But the dealership I went to didn't have any interiors in slate grey, so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed here.

Anyway, sorry for the long (first) post. But I appreciate any time spent looking at or chiming in on the below build. Definitely excited to become a first-time porsche owner!

My Porsche Code

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, all,

First timer here, though I've been lurking around on these forums for a while to gather info to help decide on what my next car is gonna be (was deciding between a new Model S vs Taycan, but after renting a Taycan, . . . I couldn't go back). So I've placed the order, and the change freeze date is coming up, so I just wanted to ask those who know more and have more experience whether there were any "must have" options that I'm not selecting or if there are some that I added that others have found to be not worth it.

A few explanations behind some of the choices...
-- I really like the looks of the 20" & 21" wheels, but I'm also really big on ride comfort/smoothness and avoiding any potential blowouts. The 19" wheels are kinda "meh" (imo), but I'm placing comfort/ride security over looks and performance here. I also want to be able to max out the potential range (my understanding is that 19" wheels will have a slightly longer range than 20"/21"), and
-- Was debating over getting the insulated/thermal glass, but I read another user saying how they worked a little TOO well (ie, to the point of sometimes not hearing sirens, others honking at you, etc.). I already play my music relatively loud and felt I didn't need any other factors impeding my ability to hear. I don't know if the Taycan I rented had the insulated glass, but it was plenty quiet from what I'm used to (a 2015 Lexus IS250, so quite a step up for me here).
-- Regarding the Porsche InnoDrive, I've heard good and bad on this. I definitely want the ACC and ALK, so I just went ahead and added it. But it sounds like a lot of drivers opt not to use it.
-- Performance Package - I definitely wanted the Sport Chrono Package for the GT Wheel and the RAS; don't care about the Porsche Electric Sport Sound, but I thought the delta between what I already had and the full package was worth it to add the PTV+ and the PDCC Sport.
-- Interior in Slate Grey - does the standard (not the full leather option) still look nice, or is it worth it to go full leather? Regarding color, I know black or two-toned is more standard, but I've always liked colors a bit "off" from the standard (ie, off-white instead of white, charcoal instead of grey). But the dealership I went to didn't have any interiors in slate grey, so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed here.

Anyway, sorry for the long (first) post. But I appreciate any time spent looking at or chiming in on the below build. Definitely excited to become a first-time porsche owner!

My Porsche Code

Thanks!!
Welcome to the forums. Why not view and try out the options before your lock date? If you're in NoVA I can arrange a meet-up with a few Taycan owners with various specifications.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I like your build, though I think the technology package is overkill. I have the night vision and it’s pretty much useless. Also, the HUD while cool, is also fairly superfluous with minimal info provided that‘s not already easily visible. The Innodrive is also a so-so option as you‘ll discover from perusing the forum. The noise/insulated glass is a must have option and pretty damn miraculous in the way it keeps the car cool. Also, the RAS also dramatically improves handling, so bottom line I’d à la carte those options and skip the rest from the technology package as it will save you some bucks.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I second some of what is above.
I can't stand any of the 19" wheels. I think the 20s are a good compromise if like a particular one. Personally, I think the Mission E is gorgeous and had to have it, even giving up the decreased range. Also tires will be more and probably wear worse. And risk of damage is higher. But I just had to have those Turbo/TurboS look wheels. They are spectacular in 21 inches.
I would add a la carte options too. I think the air suspension is almost a must, to raise the car and comfort. Also Sport Chrono. And while I wasn't originally going to add RAS, I did in the end as most everyone raves about it. The car is big enough, it needs a little help on the road and in tight roads, lots. Also, I think I am going to really enjoy the last minute add of the massage seats.
One thing I passed on that I wish I could get back is the insulated glass. Between that much better sound insulation, but also the heat and cold insulating properties, it's sounds like good value. And am I the only one that thinks that sandwiched glass looks cool even? Lol.

OP
OP

lparrish3511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet (ordered 2022 Taycan 4S)
Country flag
Thanks for the responses, all - appreciate your insight. Given that two of you recommended the insulated glass, I may look at cutting back on the tech package and adding the glass instead. Regarding innodrive, it sounds hit & miss now, but I'm hoping they'll provide updates to it in the future to improve its functionality (ala Tesla).

And Genau, thanks for the welcome and the offer. I'm down in Va Beach for a while now (with mom while she recovers from surgery), but I may reach out to you if I plan on being in the area before my freeze date.

Thanks all.
Sponsored

Last edited: