whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Where do you live that a thief can rob so many cars and spend so much time doing so without worry?
CA Bay Area has gotten pretty bad in some parts (largely SF and certain parts of east-bay). Slightly spreading north and south of SF as well but less common. Reading OPs post I immediately thought this likely was in the bay area, and was right

When we lived in SF and Sausalito, our street-parked Mazda 3 had windows broken twice in just 2 years, with nothing visible at all or in the car. Just broken so thieves could unlock the door and check to see if there was anything worth stealing. Literally took nothing and annoying to have to repair the window out of our own pocket given it was below deductible. I've considered keeping our mazda around (otherwise will be sold after getting my CT4) just so we have a cheaper car to drive into the city when we need to street park it in case something happens

If you are driving a car with out of state plates, or have anything visible like a bag, almost a guarantee you'll come back to find your street-parked car with a smashed window. If you ever visit SF and drive a rental car, opt for the insurance and never leave anything visible, not even if you're only going to be gone for 20 mins.

Don't want to bring politics too much into it, but the area's District Attorneys and lax attitudes to property crime are a lot to blame IMO

Last edited:

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Very sorry to hear about what happened to your car. I hope you have it back and all in good order soon!

SECRET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Good example as to why the traditional emergency window breaker tools will not work on thermal/acoustic insulated glass (i.e. double glazed).

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good example as to why the traditional emergency window breaker tools will not work on thermal/acoustic insulated glass (i.e. double glazed).

Makes you think whether anybody really thought about consequences when emergency response teams have to get people out of cars after an accident etc.

You could be stuck in a car and rescuers have minutes to get you out, but then the glass refuses to break... whoops.
At least nobody can hear you scream ?

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Nothing beats real world test -
Thanks for sharing and hope you get your car back soon.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Got to post that video. I’m sure many would love to see it

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
When it came to my car, he had issues braking my glass as it didn't shatter and fall to the ground. The Gel sandwiched between the glass (not sure what it is) I'm guessing that keeps it thermally and noise insulated kept the glass together. The thief started kicking my car over and over to break the glass, but really struggled. In the end he did get in and caused almost $8k worth of damage due to interior and exterior damage.
This was from Christophorus # 401:

Unlike the conventional single-layer safety glass used for the sides and rear, this glass features five layers: glass, three layers of film, and then glass again. The middle layer of the three polyvinyl butyral (PVB) films has special acoustic properties that absorb much of the oscillation of the surrounding glass. This reduces outside noise by up to 7.3 per cent in a frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz. “That doesn’t sound like much, but everyone who’s ever tested the difference in driving conditions is impressed,” continues Ochs. It effectively covers the range that the human ear is most sensitive to, which is approximately 3.5 to 4.0 kilohertz. Police, fire engine, and ambulance sirens remain just as loud as always, as they fall within the frequencies between 360 and 630 hertz virtually all over the world.

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
Thought you all may be interested in my story.

My 2021 Taycan 4S has the upgraded Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass. Recently 5 cars were burglarized in my community apartment parking garage including my car. The thief broke the driver side windows, dove into the cars and stole whatever he could reach.

When it came to my car, he had issues braking my glass as it didn't shatter and fall to the ground. The Gel sandwiched between the glass (not sure what it is) I'm guessing that keeps it thermally and noise insulated kept the glass together. The thief started kicking my car over and over to break the glass, but really struggled. In the end he did get in and caused almost $8k worth of damage due to interior and exterior damage.

I Tesla that parks next to me caught it all on video (centurion mode). Though the damage was vast, I was laughing at just how much the thief struggled to break my glass and enter my car. Props to the upgraded glass, but sadly it caused more damage than I think normal glass would have.

Pics attached!

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg
OMG, really hard to watch, would want one to get hold of them and beat the……..out of them

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
post the video of it. needed for science

Steve1871

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Volvo advertises with the safety aspect and burglar proof effect of the insulated /laminated glass. Probably the same glass but Porsche doesn’t.
I hope your car will be fixed soon.
I noticed when I was speccing mine up that Porsche do mention the security aspect a couple of times in the product description for the thermally insulated glass:

"Additionally, the laminated construction provides additional security.
Side windows rear and rear screen with privacy tinted glass.
Advantages:
- Effective attenuation of external noise due to acoustic interlayer
- Enhanced UV protection
- Solar reflection for reduced heat-build up
- Laminated for additional security against breakage "

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag

My 2021 Taycan 4S has the upgraded Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass. Recently 5 cars were burglarized in my community apartment parking garage including my car. The thief broke the driver side windows, dove into the cars and stole whatever he could reach.

I Tesla that parks next to me caught it all on video (centurion mode). Though the damage was vast, I was laughing at just how much the thief struggled to break my glass and enter my car. Props to the upgraded glass, but sadly it caused more damage than I think normal glass would have.

Pics attached!

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg
Really lousy security where it was parked. PS have any hope of catching them?

OP
OP
EVie

EVie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Really lousy security where it was parked. PS have any hope of catching them?
The Tesla I park next to also got broken into and his Centurion mode recorded everything. We have his face, how he broke into the cars, his car he drove w/ licence plate, and learned he is connected to several burglary in my area and other apartment complexes. We also pulled great prints off my car. The cops said, I kept my car really clean so he had really good prints he lifted.

The police know who he is, where he lives, and I'm sure its just a mater of time before hes found.

hhf2

First Name
Heiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD PB
Country flag

Pics attached!

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Pics attached!

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg
well, now I really want to see the Tesla Sentry video ?.

impressive! I have a RWD with glass roof and normal windows… I heard that noise reduction is considerable with ns-glass and a normal roof…but no complaints. I drive with the Digital Sound on anyways.