Buy now…..or wait?

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
Dear all Taycan owners, advice needed please….I’m due to take imminent delivery of a CT4 which was ordered 16 months ago (and initially indicated as a 12 month wait). The car has (finally) been built, but has been sitting in Germany pending resolution of the heater QC issue (as one of a “batch” of Taycans). I’m now faced with 2 options:
1. Accept the car and open myself up to all the issues the unfortunate many have experienced. Also, after such a delay it’s now a 3 year old model and apart from the ongoing quality issues, the expected hit in residual will be much larger compared to option 2.
2. Transfer the deposit to the facelifted/updated model which will inevitably be due within the usual Porsche 4 year cycle.
To be fair, after such a long wait (as ridiculous as it sounds) I’m fully prepared to make do for another 10-12 months! After waiting so long thus far, I’m reluctant to take delivery of a car that has a 1980’s Peugeot-esque electronics reputation.
Any sage words greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
If you want a CT is there as much certainty this will get face lifted in 24MY as the saloon likely will?

I am not sure how Porsche work but usually a manufacturer will have a build date by which all models move to the latest model year. They surely aren’t building a car on the line today with different versions of equipment to the rest based on order date, I’m not sure how that could even work with the just in time supply culture all manufacturers operate.

Yes you may be missing options which became available later potentially but standard stuff like wireless Android Auto and all the latest software will be on the car so it’s effectively an up to date car, I don’t think residuals will be affected by anything other than delivery date in the UK.

The impact of a face lift hits everyone in the previous 4 years and will likely come with a list price increase which outweighs the depreciation penalty.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Dear all Taycan owners, advice needed please….I’m due to take imminent delivery of a CT4 which was ordered 16 months ago (and initially indicated as a 12 month wait). The car has (finally) been built, but has been sitting in Germany pending resolution of the heater QC issue (as one of a “batch” of Taycans). I’m now faced with 2 options:
1. Accept the car and open myself up to all the issues the unfortunate many have experienced. Also, after such a delay it’s now a 3 year old model and apart from the ongoing quality issues, the expected hit in residual will be much larger compared to option 2.
2. Transfer the deposit to the facelifted/updated model which will inevitably be due within the usual Porsche 4 year cycle.
To be fair, after such a long wait (as ridiculous as it sounds) I’m fully prepared to make do for another 10-12 months! After waiting so long thus far, I’m reluctant to take delivery of a car that has a 1980’s Peugeot-esque electronics reputation.
Any sage words greatly appreciated!
Its a fantastic car no reason to cancel you will love it

OP
OP

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
If you want a CT is there as much certainty this will get face lifted in 24MY as the saloon likely will?

I am not sure how Porsche work but usually a manufacturer will have a build date by which all models move to the latest model year. They surely aren’t building a car on the line today with different versions of equipment to the rest based on order date, I’m not sure how that could even work with the just in time supply culture all manufacturers operate.

Yes you may be missing options which became available later potentially but standard stuff like wireless Android Auto and all the latest software will be on the car so it’s effectively an up to date car, I don’t think residuals will be affected by anything other than delivery date in the UK.

The impact of a face lift hits everyone in the previous 4 years and will likely come with a list price increase which outweighs the depreciation penalty.
Thanks Wilson - I suppose the head’s now beginning to rule the heart. The initial “new car” excitement has waned after such a long time and thoughts about technological & battery improvements (EV obvs different ball game to ICE regarding obsolescence) are creeping in. Will keep the new car for 5 years but I guess the battery v car lifespan issue is a whole other issue/thread!

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
Thanks Wilson - I suppose the head’s now beginning to rule the heart. The initial “new car” excitement has waned after such a long time and thoughts about technological & battery improvements (EV obvs different ball game to ICE regarding obsolescence) are creeping in. Will keep the new car for 5 years but I guess the battery v car lifespan issue is a whole other issue/thread!
I totally get that, sounds like another test drive is needed to rekindle the interest!!

MarkSCville

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Hi there. Last year about this time, I was going through similar feelings as my CT4 kept gettin delayed. I ordered it in Jan. and originally was supposed to take delivery in mar/apr. time frame. With the war raging, 12v battery issues, and supply chain issues, I was very close to canceling and getting one off the lot somewhere or start thinking of other EV’s. I ended sticking with it and received my car at the end of August. I am so happy I did and the car has been awesome. Have 16k miles on it already and it has been across the US once and also to Texas and back. It’s tough, but try to hang in there.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Mine has been held for 4 weeks now waiting for an heater. So be prepared for a long wait for your car.

OP
OP

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
Mine has been held for 4 weeks now waiting for an heater. So be prepared for a long wait for your car.
It just takes the shine off my perception of the brand (was over the moon with my Macan). If I’d wanted this type of potential glitchery & delay I’d put my money down on an electric Range Rover!

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It just takes the shine off my perception of the brand (was over the moon with my Macan). If I’d wanted this type of potential glitchery & delay I’d put my money down on an electric Range Rover!
Me too. I've assumed for now I'm cancelling my order. Porsche customer service stinks.

• Sad
Reactions: B61
OP
OP

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
@ kev946, mine’s 3 weeks and counting now. When did you put the initial deposit down? Another downer was the fact that I “had to” drop the Bose sound system 6 months ago as it was no longer available and have standard stereo instead.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@ kev946, mine’s 3 weeks and counting now. When did you put the initial deposit down? Another downer was the fact that I “had to” drop the Bose sound system 6 months ago as it was no longer available and have standard stereo instead.
That's annoying. I'm hoping I get all my options including Bose. But TBH I'm now thinking I'll never get it so on a real downer. I ordered in October 2022 to an allocation. Delivery was supposed to be 27th Feb but it arrived to the French hauliers before this. Dealer can't be precise so I think it's been there in a field for 4 weeks. No doubt weeds are growing all over it by now and the paint work is looking a mess.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If it were me, my head would be saying wait for improved model and better residuals on current car, and my heart would be saying enjoy what you can as soon as you can, there'll always be better options in the future but don't miss the best available option now. My heart would win.
(EDIT- I know you've only mentioned current v future Porsche options, but in case you were thinking of alternatives...)
Assuming you're not cross-shopping premium EVs and the Porsche was the leading contender mainly because of the badge, you won't need reminding that the Taycan has unmatched qualities in a driving experience that only it can provide.

OP
OP

Porker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, VW T5, Macan
Country flag
If it were me, my head would be saying wait for improved model and better residuals on current car, and my heart would be saying enjoy what you can as soon as you can, there'll always be better options in the future but don't miss the best available option now. My heart would win.
(EDIT- I know you've only mentioned current v future Porsche options, but in case you were thinking of alternatives...)
Assuming you're not cross-shopping premium EVs and the Porsche was the leading contender mainly because of the badge, you won't need reminding that the Taycan has unmatched qualities in a driving experience that only it can provide.
Tbh I removed the Porsche blinkers recently but others just don’t appeal…amorphous blob EQS barge, too-familiar Teslas, playmobil BMWs, Lotus Eletra (unproven EV6 & Lamborghini love child). It’s just unfortunate that the loooonnng wait has taken me to a point where head/heart’s on a knife edge. 6 months earlier and wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought!

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The more cars I try, the more convinced I am of how great of a choice Taycan is.

They really nailed it with beautiful design, flexibility of using it both as a comfortable grand tourismo and when desired as a sports car, decent range and overall very reliable. Build quality is also second to none.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I would take it... Why wait? I don't think the revisions to Taycan will come until MY25 and looking at Spyshots are minimal. As for problems... I'm hoping the worst is now resolved... My replacement is in Sheerness apparently not Grimsby but who knows when it will arrive due to Driver Shortages... another Brexit bonus people are frightened to mention.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61