Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
I'm getting a little nervous. My Covid delayed Taycan is currently in production with a Sept due date. (by then it will be a "last year's model") I had a really bad experience with my dealer (previous post) and although I got some of the issues resolved I am not getting the exact car that I think I want. When I did a quick Cars.com search today there were over 700 Taycan listed for sale and some were offering discounts! Is this car going to be a dud? I'm just not as excited as I should be for spending this much money. I've considered getting a new 911 instead. I even thought about getting a Tesla, but they have gotten so common/boring. I've had nothing but Porsches for 30 years. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What are you not getting that you think you want?

If you're not feeling the car, don't get it.

What specific thoughts are you looking for?

Nothing huge is changing for MY21 so I wouldn't even sweat that. If your dealership sucks you're either stuck if it's the only one around or could just take it somewhere else for service after you buy it.

I'm also pretty livid with my dealership but that hasn't changed my love/desire for the car.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I did a quick Cars.com search today there were over 700 Taycan listed for sale and some were offering discounts!
Porsche only sold 221 Taycans in the US in Q1 and with the shutdown in the factory and shipping stopped, I doubt they sold that many more in Q2. So the 700 number does not make sense.

You can check yourself by picking one, particularly one with a discount, and see if you can buy it. I will bet that they will tell you something like it is a demo, or that car is expected in, or most likely, they are happy to put your name on a list. Try it.

As for whether or not to buy it, it is up to whether it fits what you want, not what other people say. And if you care about what other people say, read every review out there and they are all glowing.

Lastly, my only "regret" is not that I ordered it and expect it next month, but that it is too bad that I am just not driving that much anymore. Hopefully that will change soon.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I'm getting a little nervous. My Covid delayed Taycan is currently in production with a Sept due date. (by then it will be a "last year's model") I had a really bad experience with my dealer (previous post) and although I got some of the issues resolved I am not getting the exact car that I think I want. When I did a quick Cars.com search today there were over 700 Taycan listed for sale and some were offering discounts! Is this car going to be a dud? I'm just not as excited as I should be for spending this much money. I've considered getting a new 911 instead. I even thought about getting a Tesla, but they have gotten so common/boring. I've had nothing but Porsches for 30 years. Any thoughts?
Not sure about what filters you have I find on cars.com with no limit for price and no limit for distance 464 results. When I sort out by newest listed, 47 of 50 on page 1 are coming soon - so at least a fraction of these 464 are future cars. For comparison, there are 896 Porsche 911 listed

Definitely some cars are available - I got mine from the local dealer ahead of my ordered one. Each dealer probably ordered some as demo vehicles and are planning to turn them around fast. It may be that with COVID there were a number of orders cancelled.

Bottom line: if you like the car, get it. If in doubt don't. I think once the idiotic 203 EPA mile range is fully dismissed by more than just Porsche enthusiasts the Taycan will take a chunk from the Tesla model S buyers (certainly took me). It will not sell like hot cakes, no car in this price range does....

Last edited:

OP
OP

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are you not getting that you think you want?

If you're not feeling the car, don't get it.

What specific thoughts are you looking for?

Nothing huge is changing for MY21 so I wouldn't even sweat that. If your dealership sucks you're either stuck if it's the only one around or could just take it somewhere else for service after you buy it.

I'm also pretty livid with my dealership but that hasn't changed my love/desire for the car.
I would prefer different wheels (black) and additional things like adaptive cruise control and lane control.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I would prefer different wheels (black) and additional things like adaptive cruise control and lane control.
Why not look then for inventory..... Even if you are locked in a deal, the seller may be able to figure out something for you.

I am missing the Innodrive - this is the only part I regret about not keeping my original order.

OP
OP

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure about what filters you have I find on cars.com with no limit for price and no limit for distance 464 results. When I sort out by newest listed, 47 of 50 on page 1 are coming soon - so at least a fraction of these 464 are future cars. For comparison, there are 896 Porsche 911 listed

Definitely some cars are available - I got mine from the local dealer ahead of my ordered one. Each dealer probably ordered some as demo vehicles and are planning to turn them around fast. It may be that with COVID there were a number of orders cancelled.

Bottom line: if you like the car, get it. If in doubt don't. I think once the idiotic 203 EPA mile range is fully known by more than just Porsche enthusiasts the Taycan will take a chunk from the Tesla model S buyers (certainly took me). It will not sell like hot cakes, no car in this price range does....
Thanks, I had the Taycan numbers wrong. I also got the 400+ but I didn't notice the "coming soon"

OP
OP

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why not look then for inventory..... Even if you are locked in a deal, the seller may be able to figure out something for you.

I am missing the Innodrive - this is the only part I regret about not keeping my original order.
Yeah, Innodrive is what I meant.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, don't get a car you don't want but also realize inventory cars are unlikely to match your exact desired build.

You should consider placing a new order for exactly the build you want.

Otherwise make a list of your must have options and search inventory for it. Innodrive is pretty common on inventory cars but something like black wheels will be exceedingly rare.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
My dealer thinks this may be a software upgrade it’d, like adding new apps. I’m hoping that’s true as I didn’t get because I want to DRIVE but can see the desire later on...

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
<snip>
I'm just not as excited as I should be for spending this much money.
<snip>
If I were in your position I'd cancel the order. You need to be excited about the car, otherwise as you say its a lot of money to have regrets about. You could rent a Taycan for a bit and see if you love it, then decide to purchase or move on to something else. Spending $10K on a rental beats $150K+ on something you don't love.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
My dealer thinks this may be a software upgrade it’d, like adding new apps. I’m hoping that’s true as I didn’t get because I want to DRIVE but can see the desire later on...
Probably not just software, as you would need the adaptive cruise radar, which is not on every car.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I very much doubt Innodrive will be available OTA with the current production model that Porsche has. This requires hardware that Porsche do not install in every car.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Probably not just software, as you would need the adaptive cruise radar, which is not on every car.
That is why I opted for ACC. Once InnoDrive is available here, I will go back to my dealer and ask, if I can add it.
Sponsored