Buyer"s Remorse?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
- Innodrive beeping at me every 3 min to take control of the car.
This sort of complaint is why I think gov't is going to have to step in at some point and just disallow anything short of level 5 autonomy, because people keep treating ADAS systems like they don't have to still pay 100% attention while driving.

The car should be beeping at you, as you are still supposed to be driving.
Sponsored

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This sort of complaint is why I think gov't is going to have to step in at some point and just disallow anything short of level 5 autonomy, because people keep treating ADAS systems like they don't have to still pay 100% attention while driving.

The car should be beeping at you, as you are still supposed to be driving.
Yeah, but I am. My hands (hand, really) are on the wheel. It’s just not sensing them because I’m not doing squat, cause there’s nothing to do.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yeah, but I am. My hands (hand, really) are on the wheel. It’s just not sensing them because I’m not doing squat, cause there’s nothing to do.
Just to add, my limited experience with InnoDrive doesn’t give me the sense that you could safely take your hands off the wheel even for short periods. I could be wrong, won’t be finding out myself.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
If this is really the case, than it is annoying!

Last edited:

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It this is really the case, than it is annoying!
No steering wheel built today has ‘hand sensors.’ They know you’re holding on because the car turns the wheel and your hand resists a bit, creating some torque. So just Apply a touch of torque. They all work this way.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
No steering wheel built today has ‘hand sensors.’ They know you’re holding on because the car turns the wheel and your hand resists a bit, creating some torque. So just Apply a touch of torque. They all work this way.
Not true at all. Mercedes used pressure sensors. Just a gentle squeeze with thumb and a finger at the wheel at a certain point and the alarm goes away. Even better technologies have been developed.

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I plan to do a proper review of innodrive. My sales rep was extremely complimentary of the features so I've got high expectations. I have not had a chance to drive a Porsche with Innodrive. I've driven the Audi equivalent and found it do bounce between the edges of the lines at the road and central lines. Guess we will need to wait and see.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, I mentioned you can get rid of the warning By ‘jiggling’ it a bit. No idea if the sensors are testing compression at 10 and 2 also ... in this scenario I’m always doing one handed driving with my hand at 6 or 12. Maybe if I simply turn active lane keeping off it will stop.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Not true at all. Mercedes used pressure sensors. Just a gentle squeeze with thumb and a finger and at the wheel at a certain point and the alarm goes away. Even better technologies have been developed.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I highly doubt the Taycan is using capacitive sensors given the variety of steering wheel materials used. I’m not familiar with the Mercedes Benz, but if it has ‘ a point’ that measures pressure that sounds like a poor system. If all the points measure pressure, that’s excellent.

But as was pointed out, the OP’s description (and every other description of someone with the car) is consistent with torque.

In any event, none of them are perfect, but all work: keep your hands on the wheel as required (by law most places) and you’ll be fine.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
If that is correct, then the OP should not be experiencing that issue if he has a touch on the wheel.
It's sensitive to how much capacitance it's seeing. A single finger won't do it. But you can encircle the wheel and barely touch and it will...

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's sensitive to how much capacitance it's seeing. A single finger won't do it. But you can encircle the wheel and barely touch and it will...
If that’s how it works, that’s definitely a big step up in tech and should be on the ‘pros’ list, not the ‘cons.’

zelement

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Panamera 4S. 19 Cayenne S
Country flag
It's going to have bugs & quirks well through V2. It's a Porsche. The 992 is buggy. The 991.2 is buggy. The 2017+ Panamera system is buggy. The 2015-2016 Macan system is barely functional. If you're concerned about software, Mercedes & Audi are better choices.

Poor design decisions? I've heard many nitpicks about the Taycan but that's a new one. What design elements do you not like?
I agree. This is the stuff you have to put up with to drive a new Porsche. That's what makes it unique and intersting. It's brand new and takes a while to learn. If you want ease of use or consistency, BMW is the one. Their newest version of IDrive is really cool and super easy to use.
Sponsored