Buyer"s Remorse?

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If that’s how it works, that’s definitely a big step up in tech and should be on the ‘pros’ list, not the ‘cons.’
I tried this today (gripping the wheel with one hand at 10 o'clock, without providing any resistance) and it seems to eliminate the nagging. I hope that's correct! Was anyone else able to try this?
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I wanted to chime in on the way that I always understood how the sensor nag works. The way that it works on other vehicles is that it relies on sensors in the steering column, not on the wheel itself. So if it senses some resistance to any direction, then it will treat you as paying attention. If you were able to grasp the wheel at two points but place no directional resistance whatsoever, it would think you are not touching the steering wheel. The way to test whether this is the case is to wait for the nag, and then touch one of the spokes of the steering wheel and put a small amount of downward (or upward) pressure on it to attempt to nudge the steering wheel without touching the circular component. If it gets rid of the nag, then it works the way it does on other cars.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
No steering wheel built today has ‘hand sensors.’ They know you’re holding on because the car turns the wheel and your hand resists a bit, creating some torque. So just Apply a touch of torque. They all work this way.
The BMW i3 (in many markets outside the USA, anyway) has a capacitive 'hands on' detection system for the Traffic Jam Assist feature.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The BMW i3 (in many markets outside the USA, anyway) has a capacitive 'hands on' detection system for the Traffic Jam Assist feature.
Let’s ask our dealers! They won’t know but we should ask anyway! :D

MassDriver

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6
Country flag
Not true at all. Mercedes used pressure sensors. Just a gentle squeeze with thumb and a finger at the wheel at a certain point and the alarm goes away. Even better technologies have been developed.
Cadillac (Super cruise, available now) and Ford (with the upcoming MachE) use facial/eye tracking which is far more indicative of attention. Merc, VW and Volvo either had or were working on this technology for their "safety" systems on their top end models, too bad it didn't make it in the Taycan...

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
,2020 Taycan rurbo, 2018 GT3 1997 911 C4S, 1996 911 TT, 2008 911 GT2,1989 Speedster, 1994 3.6
Country flag
Just to add, my limited experience with InnoDrive doesn’t give me the sense that you could safely take your hands off the wheel even for short periods. I could be wrong, won’t be finding out myself.
Agreed keep your hands around the wheel, regardless you can see how with updates it could do a level 4,5 on the highway

Mcgovern01

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Range Rover Sport, Mini JCW
Country flag
+1,000 on that. To me it is by far the worst part of the Taycan experience. The distortion is so profound that I find the camera completely unusable - I have the sensation everything surrounding is converging on the car and obstacles are inches away only. I also use only the surround view, and actually frequently back out with my head turned and not looking at the camera at all.
My car has a standard reverse camera and that is great. Had a loan car today and that had the surround cameras, which were truly awful in any direction!
The standard camera is far superior.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Not sure why there is such a fascination with self driving in a Porsche forum. If that is the experience people want in the car, it seems to be cheaper to have your spouse drive you around and pay for Uber when they are unavailable.
when on a longer drive it is a pleasure to let the car make the minor corrections, it makes the drive less tedious.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure why there is such a fascination with self driving in a Porsche forum. If that is the experience people want in the car, it seems to be cheaper to have your spouse drive you around and pay for Uber when they are unavailable.
I'm in this camp. I did not opt for any options like ACC or InnoDrive because I actually want to drive the car. Also, the self driving technology in the Taycan is at least 3 years behind competing carmakers.

If self-driving capabilities are a major factor in the buying decision, go with a Tesla Model S. They are investing a lot more than Porsche in self-driving technology. However, they are investing a lot less in driving dynamics, build quality, and materials.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm in this camp. I did not opt for any options like ACC or InnoDrive because I actually want to drive the car. Also, the self driving technology in the Taycan is at least 3 years behind competing carmakers.

If self-driving capabilities are a major factor in the buying decision, go with a Tesla Model S. They are investing a lot more than Porsche in self-driving technology. However, they are investing a lot less in driving dynamics, build quality, and materials.
I still got innodrive, only for the reason kort mentioned - useful for some driving on a long stretch of highway - just a more advanced version of cruise control. Even so, in my previous car, i didn't use the advanced cruise control since I liked driving and having input into the speed and passing and things like that. I just got so bored if the car did the cruise control thing - even on longer road trips.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I also got Innodrive, partly because it might be handy for long drives (which I do not really do) and partly because I generally like to encourage innovation when I buy things. Ironically, I often have to check my spec sheet whenever discussions of Innodrive come up because I don't ever use it and am a little unsure whether I remembered to specify it! :CWL:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I also got Innodrive, partly because it might be handy for long drives (which I do not really do) and partly because I generally like to encourage innovation when I buy things. Ironically, I often have to check my spec sheet whenever discussions of Innodrive come up because I don't ever use it and am a little unsure whether I remembered to specify it! :CWL:
I find it very useful in stop and go traffic. That is the only time I use it. I never used the cruise control on my previous cars.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Speaking of innodrive. Is there hardware differences between ordering from factory vs FoD later on? I thought I read on another thread that factory order has different hardware? Or is this info wrong? and you just need ACC to get Innodrive later as FoD? Thanks.

-ThinkMac-

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What? Tell the dealer to pound sand, get your deposit back, and get exactly what you want. The car is awesome, by the way. No remorse here.
Sponsored