Buying a high mileage Taycan Turbo - thoughts?

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hello everyone,

So I have a buyer for my Panamera TS Hybrid and soon I have to get a Taycan.

I've found a full spec 11/2020 Taycan Turbo for 92k euro but mileage is high, 73k km or 45,000 miles.

Comes with 1 year Porsche Approved Warranty and can optionally be extended. I'm planning to keep it for 1-2 years until the Macan EV is out.
As new it was 200k, here is the build: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR97AMZ8

Is it a good idea to buy it and save 25k or not and why?
What battery degradation should I expect to see?

Looking forward for your thoughts.
Cheers!
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I read the thread and ordered an OBDII reader, hope they will allow me to use it but I think the Porsche dealer should give all the data without issues.

I thought that might be better to get a higher mileage Taycan because the battery was used continuously.

There are some 2020 Taycans with 10k miles which seems like they sit a lot not driven.

I read that battery loses capacity even when not used.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Some users in the German forums tend to repeat a lot how some lead battery engineer (that's a leading engineer, not an engineer for batteries containing lead) told them that battery degradation is less than they expected.

Take that 4th hand hearsay with as many grains of salt as appropriate.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
[...] some lead battery engineer (that's a leading engineer, not an engineer for batteries containing lead)
A lead Nickel-Cobalt-Manganese battery engineer, or, abbreviated, "a Pb NiCoMn batteng".
(Yes, it's Friday, it should be allowed; still, I'll see myself out.)

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I read the thread and ordered an OBDII reader, hope they will allow me to use it but I think the Porsche dealer should give all the data without issues.

I thought that might be better to get a higher mileage Taycan because the battery was used continuously.

There are some 2020 Taycans with 10k miles which seems like they sit a lot not driven.

I read that battery loses capacity even when not used.
There is a large body of data (in this thread too) that shows (albeit Tesla dominated) these batteries have an initial precipitous drop from 100 to 90% SoH but it then flattens out if not before this over the first 8-10 years of ‘normal’ use, so suspect this car no different and TBH not sure still such a drop that it would negatively impact a decision to buy - I’m already at that SoH after less than 2 years and truly has next to no impact on my use of my 4S.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
For what it is worth, I have a 4S with just under 40k miles as it is getting warmer again I get about 230 miles estimate on 85% charge.. I mostly drive it around town 60-80 miles a day, and charge at home. I see no issues with battery so far. I bought used cpo last year it had about 26k miles. Love it so far even with a few sensor issues and shop visits.
Kids and I have driven it on a few 300-400 mile trips without issue… mostly in very cold weather battery has been fine in winter to just lower miles per kWh.

If you love the spec for the price go for it imo. For me it is a great car.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Battery degradation depends a lot on charging behavior…
20-80%, little high-speed charging, etc. help a lot

So read it out.
Some magazines were really surprised how well the battery survived 100'kms.

OP
OP
andb

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For what it is worth, I have a 4S with just under 40k miles as it is getting warmer again I get about 230 miles estimate on 85% charge..
Thanks for the input, 230 miles estimate on 85% charge means your 4S does not have any noticeable degradation so far and that's really good but charging at home is ideal for battery.

Hate this topic because you created a monster idea in my mind.
Well don't rule out higher mileage Taycans, I've seen 20-30k in like new condition and having the possibility to extend the warranty for many years removes most of my worries.

Battery degradation depends a lot on charging behavior…
20-80%, little high-speed charging, etc. help a lot
So read it out.
Some magazines were really surprised how well the battery survived 100'kms.
Indeed that's a very important aspect and beside SoH reading I'll try to reach out previous owner to send me the charging history, if its mostly home charged I will have no worries regarding the battery degradation.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Porsche make a big deal about the longevity of their cars.

Electric motors are far simpler than IC engines and don't have lubricant degrading hot spots so the mechanical side of the Taycan should be as good or better for long mileage than any other Porsche.

The battery is modular and servicable and a car with this many miles is unlikely being sold because it has had a lot of faults and the owner is fed up with it.

If it had a spec I want I wouldn't think twice. personally.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Porsche make a big deal about the longevity of their cars.

Electric motors are far simpler than IC engines and don't have lubricant degrading hot spots so the mechanical side of the Taycan should be as good or better for long mileage than any other Porsche.

The battery is modular and servicable and a car with this many miles is unlikely being sold because it has had a lot of faults and the owner is fed up with it.

If it had a spec I want I wouldn't think twice. personally.
Battery is modular and also bloody expensive. I wonder if a porsche extended warranty would also cover the battery (once that much longer standard warranty) has expired. Might make 8 year old Taycan's (when the time comes) a bit tricky.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Battery is modular and also bloody expensive. I wonder if a porsche extended warranty would also cover the battery (once that much longer standard warranty) has expired. Might make 8 year old Taycan's (when the time comes) a bit tricky.
It is expensive, yes, but so are all the mechanical parts of an IC engined Porsche.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Might make 8 year old Taycan's (when the time comes) a bit tricky.
When I got my first Prius I was concerned how long the hybrid battery would last. I bought it in 2005 just to see how the E-CVT worked (having seen how superior to fixed ratio gearboxes a CVT is in F1). I didn’t expect to keep it long, particularly because quite a few self appointed “experts” had slagged it off, but we liked it and my daughter has it now, 18 years later still on the original hybrid battery - it has gone through quite a few lead-acid 12V ones though.

We have 2 plug-in hybrid Priuses at the moment, one 11 years old, which has lost about 10 to 15% of EV range from new and the other 5 years old which still does almost the same on a charge as when new so close to no loss.

The one that has lost range is often fully charged then not used immediately, so I don’t do that with the Taycan, I am sure the recommendation to only charge to 100% if using the car immediately and 80% otherwise is technically wise.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
When I got my first Prius I was concerned how long the hybrid battery would last. I bought it in 2005 just to see how the E-CVT worked (having seen how superior to fixed ratio gearboxes a CVT is in F1). I didn’t expect to keep it long, particularly because quite a few self appointed “experts” had slagged it off, but we liked it and my daughter has it now, 18 years later still on the original hybrid battery - it has gone through quite a few lead-acid 12V ones though.

We have 2 plug-in hybrid Priuses at the moment, one 11 years old, which has lost about 10 to 15% of EV range from new and the other 5 years old which still does almost the same on a charge as when new so close to no loss.

The one that has lost range is often fully charged then not used immediately, so I don’t do that with the Taycan, I am sure the recommendation to only charge to 100% if using the car immediately and 80% otherwise is technically wise.
Not really on topic but when I reviewed the pics of my ready to collect car, my SA sent me last Thursday, I was shocked I could see the battery was at 99%

So not even dealerships respect the 85/ rule. I certainly will albeit... Well now the car already has a 100% charge on it and it's sitting at the dealership until tomorrow 😭
Sponsored