Buying from an out of state/region dealership

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I know some of you guys are pro car buyers. This is only my 3rd car purchase and first custom build Porsche so I’m a little green.

I ended up balking at a purchase of a Taycan at my local dealer (with some help from @amelen). They seemed entirely uninterested in my business. Since I’m getting the car from a remote dealer, should I expect any issues with getting service at the local Porsche center? What happens if there are some workmanship issues when I receive my car? Do I interface with the remote dealer or Porsche NA? Anything else I should look out for?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Your local dealer still gets to bill Porsche over any warranty items, so no problems taking it there. Plus they'd like to get future biz from you. You'll still get surveys for any interaction with your local dealer, so they'll still want you to have good things to say, because bad survey = less allocation for the dealer.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I bought mine in CT because I lived there when I got on the waiting list 5 years ago. I have had no problem servicing it in Georgia. I get appointments and a loaner without a problem. I had the CT dealer register it in Georgia when it arrived in CT from Porsche.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Original deposit with a local dealer. Not happy with them considering this is an almost $200K car, and that's the third time I've been unhappy (another Porsche and a BMW) - so I ended up buying mine out of state (Euroclassics in Richmond, VA - highly recommended, I had a very good experience with them). With COVID they delivered the car to me back in April. There is another local dealership and I've switched my service over to them and so far they have been great.

For cars in this price range, the dealer damn well better earn your business. There is no excuse for poor sales service in this price range. That's all I have to say about that.

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah the local dealer made it seem like I am lucky to be getting this car. I’ve had some annoying experiences where I’ve driven out there to test a vehicle and the one I wanted is not available etc...Also, their lack of knowledge of the car is disheartening such that id prefer to get it from the PEC to make sure all is taken care of properly.

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I live in Indiana, but purchased my 911 in Illinois and Taycan in Ohio. the out-of-state dealerships handled the car registrations and made everything as easy as possible. I’ve had no issues with servicing the vehicles locally.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know some of you guys are pro car buyers. This is only my 3rd car purchase and first custom build Porsche so I’m a little green.

I ended up balking at a purchase of a Taycan at my local dealer (with some help from @amelen). They seemed entirely uninterested in my business. Since I’m getting the car from a remote dealer, should I expect any issues with getting service at the local Porsche center? What happens if there are some workmanship issues when I receive my car? Do I interface with the remote dealer or Porsche NA? Anything else I should look out for?
Crazy how some local dealers just won't budge on pricing. I know some asking above MSRP for the 911's now as well (which Porsche doesn't really allow dealers to do). If anyone else needs any help with a good deal/dealer, just PM me, I work with dozens of them and have a good pulse on who's offering the best prices at any given moment.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
For the most part, once you buy the car, the 'sales' part of the dealership doesn't really care about what you do. Your main contact from then on is the service department.

I always recommend people buy the car wherever they can get the best deal, then take it to their best local dealer for service. There are exceptions, such as my dealer that gives you an extended warranty if you buy the car and service it regularly there. I would check, and if there isn't some special consideration you get for buying the car there, go wherever you can get the best deal.

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Turbo S, 2018 BMW M5, 2012 Audi R8, 2012 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm coming off 18 years with Audi. My last Audi was a new R8 from Wisconsin. Service from my local dealer who "inherited" me has been wonderful. They even store my winter wheels for free. So my first interaction with Porsche comes as a surprise. I mistakenly ordered a 6-50 charging cable. Seems an easy fix. Order me a 14-50 cable and exchange when car comes in. Nope. Can't be done. Only way to fix this problem on a $220K purchase is for the customer to buy a second cable at $150. Kind of a cheap welcome. But it's only a start and doesn't dampen my excitement to be back, after many years, in the Porsche family.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I'm coming off 18 years with Audi. My last Audi was a new R8 from Wisconsin. Service from my local dealer who "inherited" me has been wonderful. They even store my winter wheels for free. So my first interaction with Porsche comes as a surprise. I mistakenly ordered a 6-50 charging cable. Seems an easy fix. Order me a 14-50 cable and exchange when car comes in. Nope. Can't be done. Only way to fix this problem on a $220K purchase is for the customer to buy a second cable at $150. Kind of a cheap welcome. But it's only a start and doesn't dampen my excitement to be back, after many years, in the Porsche family.
Keep the 6-50 cable and have a 6-50 receptacle installed in your garage. You lessen the chance of heat or ground-fault problems compared to a 14-50 installation.

EarlOfCarrick

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two years ago we got my wife's Panamera at a local dealership, and the entire experience was terrible. We have a long list of complaints. She loves the car, though.

So when it came time for me to order my Taycan, I worked with a dealer about 100 miles away. It's been super dreamy so far. No friction, nice guy, reasonable pricing. I asked what I should do when the car needs service. He said, "Oh, we'll either bring you a loaner and swap, or we'll send down a flatbed to take your car to our dealership for service." Uh, OK, so what does that cost? "Oh, it's free."

My fingers are crossed that the rest of my relationship stays this positive.

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Keep the 6-50 cable and have a 6-50 receptacle installed in your garage. You lessen the chance of heat or ground-fault problems compared to a 14-50 installation.
Thanks. Looking ahead. When my wife gets an EV, is there a chance that her EV will require a 14-50 receptacle?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Thanks. Looking ahead. When my wife gets an EV, is there a chance that her EV will require a 14-50 receptacle?
Cannot speak for other brands, but it would be amazing if they did not offer the ability to choose NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 input cables (if they support a home charger).
Any new US EV can use the Porsche charger.

Piper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cannot speak for other brands, but it would be amazing if they did not offer the ability to choose NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 input cables (if they support a home charger).
Any new US EV can use the Porsche charger.
Good point. Thanks.

OP
OP
Fedex77

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Two years ago we got my wife's Panamera at a local dealership, and the entire experience was terrible. We have a long list of complaints. She loves the car, though.

So when it came time for me to order my Taycan, I worked with a dealer about 100 miles away. It's been super dreamy so far. No friction, nice guy, reasonable pricing. I asked what I should do when the car needs service. He said, "Oh, we'll either bring you a loaner and swap, or we'll send down a flatbed to take your car to our dealership for service." Uh, OK, so what does that cost? "Oh, it's free."

My fingers are crossed that the rest of my relationship stays this positive.
Wow
Sponsored