Buying Taycan 4S out of state

horserider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW S1000RR
Country flag
While shopping for the new 2022 Taycan 4S with my local dealers in WA I found out that there is a waiting list for the production slots with unclear timelines. Some dealers charge nonsense ADM's ($10K) bumping the price even further.
I am looking for the way to order my custom build from the out of state dealer and then have it delivered to me. Did anybody do that and can give a recommendation may be?
I shipped big items from coast to coast before and found the process to be relatively easy. I just wonder how to find a dealer who wants to work on my order, get the car for MSRP (no last minute tricks) and ideally could have a production allocation slot sooner than others.
Sponsored

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
While shopping for the new 2022 Taycan 4S with my local dealers in WA I found out that there is a waiting list for the production slots with unclear timelines. Some dealers charge nonsense ADM's ($10K) bumping the price even further.
I am looking for the way to order my custom build from the out of state dealer and then have it delivered to me. Did anybody do that and can give a recommendation may be?
I shipped big items from coast to coast before and found the process to be relatively easy. I just wonder how to find a dealer who wants to work on my order, get the car for MSRP (no last minute tricks) and ideally could have a production allocation slot sooner than others.
I've found that most dealers who are open to selling to people out of state, are also open to shipping the vehicle. You're likely looking for an open slot that is immediately available.

This thread speaks to dealing with the dealer

I didn't want to be put on a list with a deposit down with no real means of tracking where I am other than the word of another person. I called every dealer within a xxxx miles radius of me looking for an allocation, let them know if one becomes available to contact me (cancellation or otherwise) and negotiated from there. I did roughly three sweeps, the initial, about when allocations are to be available, about a week after they were available. It was only on my third sweep (after allocations were distributed) that I was able to snag one. They must understand the basic terms of the deal, i.e. you're out of state and will require shipping. I only start the price discussion after the basics are known and acceptable.

In short: make a list of dealers, have a game plan of which ones you want to work with, i.e. closer ones first through the furthest ones, call, record your SA contacts, and continue on. You must know what trim level you want as that's what the allocations are for and not interchangeable, i.e. you want a Saloon RWD, CT Turbo, etc. The rest about deposit, terms, etc, you can read in the posted thread above.

Good luck.

OP
OP

horserider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW S1000RR
Country flag
So far, no out-of-state dealers accepted an out-of-state buyer and yes, they all have waitlists for 4S for local buyers only. I am in WA and tried OR, ID, CA dealers. Communism intensifies - you have money, but can't buy; dealers are totally uninterested to earn your business.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Buying out of state is usually a breeze but I'd be shocked if any Porsche dealerships are offering allocations to out of state buyers at the moment.

In our area Beaverton is the best dealership, IMO. The 3 near Seattle are just terrible, terrible dealerships.

I think Beaverton would give you an allocation but I'm sure they have a huge waitlist.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
My current car is a Pan ST which I bought from out of state as this car was in inventory and is somewhat of a unicorn. I would not buy a car out of state again. If there are issues, it is excruciating to resolve them and your local dealer will be less incentivized to help with certain types of issues because they didn’t sell it. While it’s possible for everything to go smoothly, I would personally not take the chance given the saga of buying my last one.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
I think the situation is mainly supply and demand and too many folks want cars and dealers don't have inventory so they sell locally to those who they know and thus can continue to get $$ from and service the cars also...remember Porsche now has an annual requirement on most cars...Taycan 2 yrs mandatory maintenance and plan on spending what the usual $600-900 on a regular service for any p-car ordered. Dealers still count on that stream of income and relationship so that likely plays a role too.

Just got my Taycan CT4 from my local dealer today and placed my order last year in July 2021 so talking a 6+ mo wait almost for a car and when I got my allocation they had only 2 CT4s and 1 CT Turbo I think...almost no 992s all were spoken for. When I went in Friday to take a look at the car they had just gotten their deliveries in (to include my car) and EVERY car in the showroom was sold (including mine)...none new for sale other than 2 cars and 2 demos. That is unheard of 24 mos ago so dynamics have changes some of the business models where out of state sales are less profitable and even pursued by some than before.

Keep looking...you'll find one OP.

Porsche Taycan Buying Taycan 4S out of state IMG_7935

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
Initially, I ordered and was waiting on an allocation for December. I found a similar build “in transit “ at an out of state dealer with ETA in December. I canceled my order and got the out of state car delivered Christmas Eve. The dealer sold the car at MSRP and no mark up. During my search to get a car sooner, I found several dealers selling cars in transit at >$5k markups. I was diligent and acted quickly on the car at MSRP. I made a few concessions on my build but this car was very close. Plus, I was able to get the tax credit due to a 2021 delivery. :) I agree, keep looking you will find one, but act fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP

horserider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW S1000RR
Country flag
Initially, I ordered and was waiting on an allocation for December. I found a similar build “in transit “ at an out of state dealer with ETA in December. I canceled my order and got the out of state car delivered Christmas Eve. The dealer sold the car at MSRP and no mark up. During my search to get a car sooner, I found several dealers selling cars in transit at >$5k markups. I was diligent and acted quickly on the car at MSRP. I made a few concessions on my build but this car was very close. Plus, I was able to get the tax credit due to a 2021 delivery. :) I agree, keep looking you will find one, but act fast.
How do you search for cars "in transit"?

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you search for cars "in transit"?
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US

Select the car, model, specs (in my case currently there are over 21 Taycan 4S available). If you select a specific car the description will state “This car is not yet at the dealership”, if it is in the build phase. I called the dealerships and asked the ETA. I also asked if the car was available (no existing deposits) and if they are selling to out of state buyers at MSRP.

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FYI... I live in NC and purchased the car in Kansas City. I did a national search. I also flew to see the car when it arrived at the dealership.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I spoke to my dealer three days ago and was told GTS allocations open and first delivery in March. No waitlist, no premium over MSRP for current customers. I guess I have a great dealer!

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
I spoke to my dealer three days ago and was told GTS allocations open and first delivery in March. No waitlist, no premium over MSRP for current customers. I guess I have a great dealer!
Good luck and hope you get that allocation.

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Buying out of state is usually a breeze but I'd be shocked if any Porsche dealerships are offering allocations to out of state buyers at the moment.

In our area Beaverton is the best dealership, IMO. The 3 near Seattle are just terrible, terrible dealerships.

I think Beaverton would give you an allocation but I'm sure they have a huge waitlist.
About the Seattle dealers: the one in Bellevue is so bad and unethical that I’d drive a Lada Nova before I’d ever do business there again.

stirthepot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
which dealer?
Sponsored