Cable to charge at free chargers in U.K.?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
So, colleague got his Taycan at the weekend. Hasn’t been able to charge it except on very slow 3 pin charge as got an untethered pod point thinking the Porsche cable would work. It doesn’t. Also, Attempting to charge at a free charger today ( b&m, over the road from work) also couldn’t be done as no lead. Colleague with a Tesla proudly offered to lend him his which was supplied with the car.

Are we missing something or do I need to buy another lead when mine arrives to charge at places offering free charge. I have the tethered pod point being installed tomorrow so this isn’t an issue but do I now need another lead in the car?

Is it a poor show from Porsche I have spend £150 on another lead on a 95k car? Or am I expecting too much?
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, colleague got his Taycan at the weekend. Hasn’t been able to charge it except on very slow 3 pin charge as got an untethered pod point thinking the Porsche cable would work. It doesn’t. Also, Attempting to charge at a free charger today ( b&m, over the road from work) also couldn’t be done as no lead. Colleague with a Tesla proudly offered to lend him his which was supplied with the car.

Are we missing something or do I need to buy another lead when mine arrives to charge at places offering free charge. I have the tethered pod point being installed tomorrow so this isn’t an issue but do I now need another lead in the car?

Is it a poor show from Porsche I have spend £150 on another lead on a 95k car? Or am I expecting too much?
Yeah, it pretty poor that you don't get a cable with the Porsche, but Porsche are very good at charging for nearly everything. You need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable to charge at most free chargers. You can get the Porsche cable, but I think third party cables are just as good. I got a BP chargemaster cable when it was on sale that seems to work well. You can get a three phase cable that allows you to also charge at three phase points, or the slightly cheaper single phase cable, but that will only let you charge at the single phase points. Makes sense to go for the three phase I reckon given the minor price differential.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yeah, it pretty poor that you don't get a cable with the Porsche, but Porsche are very good at charging for nearly everything. You need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable to charge at most free chargers. You can get the Porsche cable, but I think third party cables are just as good. I got a BP chargemaster cable when it was on sale that seems to work well. You can get a three phase cable that allows you to also charge at three phase points, or the slightly cheaper single phase cable, but that will only let you charge at the single phase points. Makes sense to go for the three phase I reckon given the minor price differential.
Thanks. Is there many 3 phase free chargers around? Bit miffed I’ve got to go and spend another £150 ish on another cable after spending £550 plus today on a pod point. Thought I had everything I needed between the PP and the Porsche charger but obviously not. Guess this makes the Porsche charger more a less redundant?

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Is this what I need?

Porsche Taycan Cable to charge at free chargers in U.K.? E61749-D5-9-C8-D-4-ED9-BCBF-77312295-AE28

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
That's a mode 3 public cable so should be fine, bit cheaper than the £210 Porsche one I included in my spec...
What’s a mode 3? (pm’d you back) It’s new on eBay for £60 and local pick up? Will it be ok? Says it’s from a Renault Zoe but phase 3?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. Is there many 3 phase free chargers around? Bit miffed I’ve got to go and spend another £150 ish on another cable after spending £550 plus today on a pod point. Thought I had everything I needed between the PP and the Porsche charger but obviously not. Guess this makes the Porsche charger more a less redundant?
I use the Porsche charger for emergencies when visiting friends / folks (or will do when allowed!) and need a charge from the 13A 3 pin (which is seriously slow), but yeah, if you have a home charger it’s pretty useless. Annoying that us MY2020 owners had to pay £700 for it! At least it’s “free” with MY2021.

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
Unfortunately the mobile charger connect is no longer free. It’s £767 now. Make sure you opt the 7.5m long one, which is a free upgrade when paying £767!!!

For public charging points that require you to use your own lead then you’ll need a “Type 2” lead

I would recommend at 5m cable

Here is a link to a one of many UK suppliers

https://www.4ev.co.uk/5-metre-32-amp-porsche-taycan-charging-cable-straight