Can I connect the Taycan to my home wifi?

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Couldn't find this question. When I am home, how do I connect my Taycan to the home WIFI? Can't figure this out.
Sponsored

Dak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan 4s Neptune Blue
Country flag
I don't believe that there is a way to connect the Taycan to your home WiFi. The car has it's own 4G antenna which it uses to connect to Porsche to download updates.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in the North American market there is no apparent support for connecting to WiFi in the current software version provided with the vehicle - will it allow that in the future - only Porsche knows.

but as of right now for MY'2020 and MY'2021 this is not a feature of the product.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Couldn't find this question. When I am home, how do I connect my Taycan to the home WIFI? Can't figure this out.
Nope not possible and wouldn't be good for your 12V battery either.

It can be a WiFi hotspot to connect to for certain phone to PCM functions and WiFi sharing (with data package) but nothing else.

Why would you want to?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Nope not possible and wouldn't be good for your 12V battery either.

It can be a WiFi hotspot to connect to for certain phone to PCM functions and WiFi sharing (with data package) but nothing else.

Why would you want to?
Tesla does this. Many people don’t have reliable cellular access from their garages. It also offloads data updates in both directions which is good for Porsche (pushes the cost) and the customer (it’s faster).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tesla does this. Many people don’t have reliable cellular access from their garages. It also offloads data updates in both directions which is good for Porsche (pushes the cost) and the customer (it’s faster).
Understood but equally all of this can be performed when in a better reception area / on the move. The data transfers can wait given the nature of them.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
^ This (I have terrible cell service at home). It also opens up a potential channel for hacking the car (though of course it may be possible to do so over the cellular connection as well, but much more difficult).
Understood but equally all of this can be performed when in a better reception area / on the move. The data transfers can wait given the nature of them.
^ and this

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
^ This (I have terrible cell service at home). It also opens up a potential channel for hacking the car (though of course it may be possible to do so over the cellular connection as well, but much more difficult).

^ and this
Terrible cell service at home - especially in rural areas- along with porsche connect app does not work (again an issue with cell service)... so I can think of many reasons why utilizing a home wifi connection would be a necessity and should be enabled.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
but much more difficult
I'll quibble with this - at the end of the day there is probably still an IP address that the car is living at - at that point it doesn't matter if it's cellular or wifi - there is an IP address to "hit" - if you have an IP address you can direct traffic to that IP address and if there is an exploit available over WiFi there is an exploit available over Celluar.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll quibble with this - at the end of the day there is probably still an IP address that the car is living at - at that point it doesn't matter if it's cellular or wifi - there is an IP address to "hit" - if you have an IP address you can direct traffic to that IP address and if there is an exploit available over WiFi there is an exploit available over Celluar.
I actually believe this car has two IP addresses, one for the telematics (OTA module - always or at least periodically on) and one for PCM. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche's agreement with AT&T or Verizon doesn't provide for the telematics connection to be unreachable except from Porsche servers, and I also expect that OTA module to be the endpoint for an end-to-end encrypted communication with said server. A hack on the PCM is more likely All speculation on my part.

OP
OP
Alemany

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Several answers....

Tesla does it to download large files and updates particularly map updates. Is very efficient.

To do car play, the car and the phone connect via Wi-Fi. I can hack that ip easily and so does anyone else close to the car. Security is not the reason.

I just don’t get it. My phone is 5G and when we are connected it can use my bandwidth (and I think it does). When I picked up my car (MY2021), it had 11 downloads waiting. They went lighting fast. LTE/4G would not have been that fast, so I suspect it used my 5G (but I dont know this yet), I’ll check traffic when I have a chance.

thanks!!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Russia is the only Taycan market where the car is able to connect to an external hotspot / access point. All other markets the hotspot is internal to the car.

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 - blt Jun 3, dealer 22 Jun, del me 29..
Country flag
Found this......