Can I use a Tesla Supercharger with a Tesla Tap?

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got my car, and for various reasons, I haven't had my garage updated. So, I'm charging more than most. Trying to figure out how/where to get the most bang for my time. 350kw Electrify America is the best but they're not convenient. Does anyone know if I can use a supercharger with a Tesla Tap?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
TeslaTap is for AC charging, not DC fast charging. So no it wont work. The TeslaTap will work with Tesla Destination Chargers, as they are just regular Level 2 AC chargers.

Even with a magic adapter for Supercharger to CCS, you wouldn't be able to, because Supercharging verifies the car. (Tesla can and does disable Supercharging for some of their cars)

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
TeslaTap is for AC charging, not DC fast charging. So no it wont work. The TeslaTap will work with Tesla Destination Chargers, as they are just regular Level 2 AC chargers.

Even with a magic adapter for Supercharger to CCS, you wouldn't be able to, because Supercharging verifies the car. (Tesla can and does disable Supercharging for some of their cars)
Thanks. That's very helpful.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got my car, and for various reasons, I haven't had my garage updated. So, I'm charging more than most. Trying to figure out how/where to get the most bang for my time. 350kw Electrify America is the best but they're not convenient. Does anyone know if I can use a supercharger with a Tesla Tap?
Where are you located, maybe I can help find a local free charger, I am in rural ky and have found a few, also, try a voice command and say hey Porsche, Find me free chargers, works fairly well in A pinch

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Where are you located, maybe I can help find a local free charger, I am in rural ky and have found a few, also, try a voice command and say hey Porsche, Find me free chargers, works fairly well in A pinch
Thanks. I am in 2 places 53029 and 60521 zips, and in between the two. I found a 350kw near 53029 (~30 minutes away), but everything else is basically 50kw or lower. I paid for the option that tells me close Porsche and non-Porsche charging stations (and am pretty sure I have every app there is), there just aren't a lot of high speed chargers yet.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks. I am in 2 places 53029 and 60521 zips, and in between the two. I found a 350kw near 53029 (~30 minutes away), but everything else is basically 50kw or lower. I paid for the option that tells me close Porsche and non-Porsche charging stations (and am pretty sure I have every app there is), there just aren't a lot of high speed chargers yet.
I highly recommend the PlugShare app and website. For instance, here are all of the CCS DC Fast Chargers with at least 120kW output in your vicinity:

Porsche Taycan Can I use a Tesla Supercharger with a Tesla Tap? 1592252830949

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Remember too you don't charge at top speed unless your state of charge (SOC) is really really low and even then it's not for long. I plugged in at like 18% at an EA charger rated for 350kw and only got 123kw for most of my 30 minute session. It did what it needed to do but I was hoping to geek out and see that thing screaming.

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Remember too you don't charge at top speed unless your state of charge (SOC) is really really low and even then it's not for long. I plugged in at like 18% at an EA charger rated for 350kw and only got 123kw for most of my 30 minute session. It did what it needed to do but I was hoping to geek out and see that thing screaming.
Not to be dense, but this is all something controlled by the charging system, correct? My SA sucks and gave me no real overview of anything.

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I highly recommend the PlugShare app and website. For instance, here are all of the CCS DC Fast Chargers with at least 120kW output in your vicinity:

1592252830949.png
Thanks. I have it, but "fast chargers" often include 50KW, which is OK if you don't have anywhere to go for a while. Despite being in suburbs of 2 major cities, it seems the technology is not coming here fast enough for my impatience.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks. I have it, but "fast chargers" often include 50KW, which is OK if you don't have anywhere to go for a while. Despite being in suburbs of 2 major cities, it seems the technology is not coming here fast enough for my impatience.
I agree that 50Kw is pretty slow, but the the PlugShare map allows you to filter based on output. The map above shows 120kW+ chargers only, for example. There would have been many more pins had I shown 50kW units.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Plugshare is really the best charging app for the US and far superior to the range manager on the Taycan. Please use it and PLEASE leave comments! Most of the current ratings/comments come from people using the slower chargers and not 150+ chargers. The more we review superchargers, the better the system will become for all future Taycan (and fast charging EV) owners.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not to be dense, but this is all something controlled by the charging system, correct? My SA sucks and gave me no real overview of anything.
Not dense at all. If you're new to the EV world it's a foreign concept and the dealers are learning along the way too. The reason this is important is if you're at say 75% and you think you're just going to run by a charger to get a quick boost to 100% in 5 min at 300kwh you're going to be disappointed. It just doesn't work like that. The last mile, if you will, on charging to 100% is a long process. Most of the focus is on getting to 80%. As an example, I plugged in at 18% to a 350kwh charger and got 123kwh and then once I got to a point (can't recall exactly) it dropped below 100kwh and tapered down. So even then, I wasn't getting the full charge rate the car is capable of.

I'm not an electrical engineer or materials scientist type guy so I could be wrong but I think the battery management system handles this. It's a battery health and temperature thing. There are factors that are split between current charge level (state of charge) and battery temperature that determine how much juice the car feeds the battery.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@TC Fan Not sure if your original question got answered or fully explored but one thing you can do with teslatap is connect to destination chargers. They're going to be much slower (order of magnitude) but if your city has more tesla specific destination chargers than standards based (J1772 connection) then it may be a handy gizmo to have on hand. It'll let you plug in to them without a problem - Tesla SuperChargers are the only thing you can't connect to b/c those are proprietary and confirm the VIN for payment/account information.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
LiON batteries can not be pushed to full at their maximum rate - as the battery gets closer to full you must taper the charge rate or risk actually damaging the battery - temperature, state_of_charge (SOC), battery age all play a factor in a batteries charge rate

a very very very rough rule of thumb is charging from 0-85% takes about a long as charging from 85-100% - i.e. those last 15% is very expensive time wise, and harder on the battery since LiON batteries really don’t like to be at 100% for very long

I’ pulled into Tesla Supercharger in Scotts Valley yestereday in my 2017 Model X - 40,xxx miles - about 34% SOC - 85 degrees F outside, plugged into the Supercharger - got 178,000 watts (yes 178 kW) and jumped from 34% to 44% in less than 5 minutes - then it tapers off to a more reasonable but slower 115,000 watts and keep gradually going down until I unplugged at 75% - but that first 10% was wicked fast (and 170 kW is more than the battery is supposed to do since originally the car was limited to 120 kW)

fast charging any EV above 70% SOC is going to be dramatically slower than what is possible @ 5% SOC for battery health and longevity reasons - and yes the onboard battery management software controls the charging process and keeps track of all the statistics (kwh’s in and out of the battery and at what rate) - porsche has develpoed a model (trade secrete) and the BMS software manages the battery to that model to achieve Porsche’s desired goals for the battery, longevity, performance, capacity, maximums/minimums - over time this is software so the BMS can be updated with improvements and mitigations as porsche learns more from the Taycan fleet and is able to observe how batteries behave “in the wild” and in daily use.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
here is a picture of the fast charge taper for the Taycan vs. the Model 3 - please please please - I’m not trying to start a Taycan vs. Tesla conversation - this just happens to be in my opinion one of the best, most straight forward and informative charts as the taper that the BMS software implements as the battery gets closer to full - Porsche owners will be gratified to see that the Taper on the Porsche is signficantly less than the Model 3 - this is due to Porsche’s 800V technology, better cooling, and more conservative “buffer” as to how close to actually full they let the battery get.

both cars get to about 80% charge in less than 25 minutes - which is pretty good and more than acceptable for road tripping - and both cars the charge session from 80% to 100% would be at least another 20 minutes…so charging above 80% while road tripping is very expense from a time management point of view.

but there _IS_ a taper, and the car slows down the charging rate as it gets closer to full for battery management reasons…

Porsche Taycan Can I use a Tesla Supercharger with a Tesla Tap? 67773346_2399038550374314_8598489676815359329_n
Sponsored

Last edited: