Can other cars use mobile charger connect?

Gaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have a mobile charger connect for my 4s and wondered if anyone had used this to charge a different EV.

I am moving this soon to a three phase supply to do 11kw and unsure if this makes a difference or whether the car will step it back to 7kw.

I have a mate coming over with a BMW EV and I am not sure if he can charge his car at my house?

Anyone have experience of charging other EVs from the pmcc willing to share their experience?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have a mobile charger connect for my 4s and wondered if anyone had used this to charge a different EV.

I am moving this soon to a three phase supply to do 11kw and unsure if this makes a difference or whether the car will step it back to 7kw.

I have a mate coming over with a BMW EV and I am not sure if he can charge his car at my house?

Anyone have experience of charging other EVs from the pmcc willing to share their experience?
I regularly charge our Tesla Model3 with the PMCC at 11 kW max.
I have also charged a Renault Zoe at 22 kW with the charger.
No issues at all they all have the Mennekes Type 2 connector, so a BMW should work fine.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag

the connection is a J1772 which should fit any EV

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
the connection is a J1772 which should fit any EV
Correct for the US but not for Europe (and perhaps the rest of the world). They all have Mennekes type 2 connectors here in Europe.

OP
OP
Gaz

Gaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I regularly charge our Tesla Model3 with the PMCC at 11 kW max.
I have also charged a Renault Zoe at 22 kW with the charger.
No issues at all they all have the Mennekes Type 2 connector, so a BMW should work fine.

thanks. I hoped this would be the case and nice to hear the real life success

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I also charged my Tesla model 3 several times. The one issue was that the charge stopped within seconds several times with a message on the PCMM about fuse going off or something along those lines. I adjusted in the Tesla the charging current to a max of 20A , all worked well afterwards.

Reactions: Gaz

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In North American the PMCC and PMC+ are just Porsche branded J-1772 EVSE’s - most (all?) EV‘s and Hybrids sold in north american can charge from _ANY_ J-1772 EVSE

I would expect the Porsche charger to charge any/all EV’s and Hybrid’s - if it does not charge an EV then something is wrong with the charger or the EV.

also the Taycan can charge from ANY J-1772 EVSE - you are not required to use the Porsche EVSE -if this were not true then you couldn’t use public chargers.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also charged my Tesla model 3 several times. The one issue was that the charge stopped within seconds several times with a message on the PCMM about fuse going off or something along those lines. I adjusted in the Tesla the charging current to a max of 20A , all worked well afterwards.
I believe the max charge rate in the model 3 is 32 amps, so you could go higher than 20 amps

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Model 3 Standard plus is 32 amps - other models are 48 amps.

My 2018 Model 3 Performance was also 48 amps - Tesla has always had a “base” model 3 that was 32 amps, but any other variant was 48 amps.

Porsche Taycan Can other cars use mobile charger connect? 1191FE52-DAC9-4CC9-B763-5FA67DA0B0ED

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Model 3 Standard plus is 32 amps - other models are 48 amps.

My 2018 Model 3 Performance was also 48 amps - Tesla has always had a “base” model 3 that was 32 amps, but any other variant was 48 amps.

1191FE52-DAC9-4CC9-B763-5FA67DA0B0ED.jpeg
interesting because my 2018 model 3 performance was limited to 32 amps. the spec sheet that you offer must be for a newer model

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
interesting because my 2018 model 3 performance was limited to 32 amps. the spec sheet that you offer must be for a newer model
the tesla gen 2 UMC is 32 amps - the performance has always been 48 amps - including yours

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the tesla gen 2 UMC is 32 amps - the performance has always been 48 amps - including yours
ok, that could be. but I had no reason to ever upgrade the umc

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I have not experimented with anything between 20A and 36A when charging the model 3 on the Porsche charger. First step when the Porsche gave the message "tripping circuit breaker" (or something like that) was to reduce current to 20A and that worked - thank you, Bjorn Nyland for the early model S YouTube videos. That current was enough for my daily commute in the model 3 while my Taycan was in the shop trying to fix the remote connection issues. The 36A was arbitrarily chosen during the cable heating discussion last summer - I figured it is enough for my daily needs and would protect against overheating, so I decreased the max current on the charger.

The model 3 does charge at 40A for sure - I had a generation 1 mobile connector from my previous P85D which I used until that charger died.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I'm having the same circuit breaker issue. Do you adjust the amperage on the mobile charger connect or in the Tesla?

I have not experimented with anything between 20A and 36A when charging the model 3 on the Porsche charger. First step when the Porsche gave the message "tripping circuit breaker" (or something like that) was to reduce current to 20A and that worked - thank you, Bjorn Nyland for the early model S YouTube videos. That current was enough for my daily commute in the model 3 while my Taycan was in the shop trying to fix the remote connection issues. The 36A was arbitrarily chosen during the cable heating discussion last summer - I figured it is enough for my daily needs and would protect against overheating, so I decreased the max current on the charger.

The model 3 does charge at 40A for sure - I had a generation 1 mobile connector from my previous P85D which I used until that charger died.
Sponsored