f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Low weight is the most important thing in a sports car at the track.

On a F1 car each extra 10kg of weight adds around 0.35 secs per lap, or it did during the 35 years I ran them, it may be a tad less in the higher level of hybrid era today.

IME the benefit of an EV is instant throttle response and quietness and those are an advantage on a road with traffic, ie anywhere round here, not a track.

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
So, a sporty family car lost to a true sports car, primarily because of the weight difference. Shows how amazing of a (first) EV the Taycan is to Porsche. That being said, still dreaming of a 911 one day.

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really would have preferred to see the regular Taycan GTS in this head to head - the extra weight of the cross turismo couldn't have helped.
There is around a 600kg weight difference anyway.

From a vehicle dynamics POV the comparison is absurdly inappropriate, ridiculous even.

I can’t imagine a potential buyer considering a 911 GTS and a Taycan GTS as alternatives to buy. I certainly would not.

If I wanted a (fairly) lightweight 2 door the 911 would be on my shortlist, if I wanted a quiet comfortable 4 seater it would not.

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
In my view, Porsche should have done more to differentiate the GTS Taycan. Perhaps the smaller battery with more light weight materials would have done the trick to make for something that can handle the kind of track duty that the GTS badge is supposed to be capable of.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In my view, Porsche should have done more to differentiate the GTS Taycan. Perhaps the smaller battery with more light weight materials would have done the trick to make for something that can handle the kind of track duty that the GTS badge is supposed to be capable of.
I bet they looked into it but making a car light is very, very much more expensive than adding horsepower, which is fairly easy, so few do it.
There really aren’t many lightweight cars for sale these days.

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I bet they looked into it but making a car light is very, very much more expensive than adding horsepower, which is fairly easy, so few do it.
There really aren’t many lightweight cars for sale these days.
Given the weight issue, they probably shouldn’t have used the GTS name for their first gen EV. Should have reserved it for when they have figured out the weight issue. The J1 is a really good first attempt though.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I can’t imagine a potential buyer considering a 911 GTS and a Taycan GTS as alternatives to buy. I certainly would not.
I am not so sure… I decided it was time to move on from my Macan and looked at a 911 4S and a Taycan 4S. The Taycan won as an overall package for various reasons but it was a more useful car to me at the time. A part of me would still like a 911 but I am very pleased with the Taycan and have no regrets.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not so sure… I decided it was time to move on from my Macan and looked at a 911 4S and a Taycan 4S. The Taycan won as an overall package for various reasons but it was a more useful car to me at the time. A part of me would still like a 911 but I am very pleased with the Taycan and have no regrets.
Really?
A 911 would be pretty well useless for me, particularly the recent wide bodied turbo engined ones whereas the Taycan was and is pretty ideal.

Reactions: B61

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is around a 600kg weight difference anyway.

From a vehicle dynamics POV the comparison is absurdly inappropriate, ridiculous even.

If I wanted a (fairly) lightweight 2 door the 911 would be on my shortlist, if I wanted a quiet comfortable 4 seater it would not.
But the 911 isn’t a lightweight sportscar anymore. It’s a big GT car. A very capable one, but still a GT car. And the rear seats, while better on the Taycan, are still compromised due to the small interior and roofline.

I actually ruled out the Taycan initially when I was looking for a roomy four door sedan. It was only when I decided that I really wanted a GT car, possibly a 911 again, that I brought the Taycan back into consideration.

As regards this comparison, the Taycan isn’t a sports car or even a sport GT. It’s a sporty sedan. It just should have been a two door.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
COuldn't agree more. I figure they were taking aim directly at Tesla Model S with this car, but if it was a 2 door it would be better in so many ways.
It it had been a 2 door and still that vast I would have had nothing but contempt for it and wouldn’t have looked at one, never mind had a test drive.
Sponsored