Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Really?
A 911 would be pretty well useless for me, particularly the recent wide bodied turbo engined ones whereas the Taycan was and is pretty ideal.
It would be less use to me than a Taycan which is why I ended up with a Taycan. But a 911 would still be fun and a great car to own
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
But the 911 isn’t a lightweight sportscar anymore.
That is why I wrote “fairly”.
Most so called sports cars are heavy these days.
Loads of electric gadgets, complex engines and crash structures pretty well guarantee it.

Passing crash rules and lightness makes it very expensive. Cars have got very big now too.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It would be less use to me than a Taycan which is why I ended up with a Taycan. But a 911 would still be fun and a great car to own
Probably fun, yes, but they aren’t similar from my POV.

If I was considering a 911 the other options would be 2 door sports cars (in fact they were when I did consider one ;)) not 4 seater saloons.

I considered the Bentley Continental, Merc S-class hybrid and Audi E-Tron GT, when I chose the Taycan, for example.

When I considered a 911 (993 era) I compared to TVR and Ferrari.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag

If I was considering a 911 the other options would be 2 door sports cars (in fact they were when I did consider one ;)) not 4 seater saloons.

I considered the Bentley Continental, Merc S-class hybrid and Audi E-Tron GT, when I chose the Taycan, for example.

Please don’t misunderstand me… I am not saying they are similar. Just that I drove both and for a variety of reasons ended up in a Taycan. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn‘t enjoy owning a 911. Very different cars, but both fantastic

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
COuldn't agree more. I figure they were taking aim directly at Tesla Model S with this car, but if it was a 2 door it would be better in so many ways.
Yep, as 2 door, B -pillar could be set more rear, so ingress/egress would be much easier.
On the other hand, i couldn’t imagine CT as a 2-door car.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

Would you chose Taycan if 911 as EV already exist?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Good news is we have electric 718s on the way, so we'll soon have a better sense of what they can and can't do re lightness and balance re electric sports cars.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Another point of comparison- Tiff Needell Jason Plato took a Taycan 4S CT around the Fifth Gear track (Anglesey?) 1.5 seconds quicker than a 911 Carrera. AWD v RWD though.
(edited to correct my senior moment)

Last edited:

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
If I were considering a new sports car, I think I would skip the 911 and go straight for a Lotus Emira which weighs less than a 911, and is much smaller in proportions. I had a 991 911 and I just can’t like the 992 for its obese proportions, and its ridiculous rear spoiler when it upright position. That being said, I think my CT4 looks pretty lardy too…

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
take a look at his username. Pretty sure the 911 ticks a few boxes there. :)
I must be in a category all my own. For my midlife crisis I sold a 911 and bought a Taycan. On second thought, it was simply my second midlife crisis.

Ipercool

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS ST - 22 BMW i3S - 18 MINI Countryman
Country flag
I have this table with 32 times they achieved on the Quattroruote handling track.
Quattroruote is an independent Italian motoring magazine.
Unfortunately there are no vehicle weights, but if any kind soul wants to look for them we can also add them :CWL:

Porsche Taycan Can The Porsche Taycan REALLY Beat The 911? -- Drag Race & Track Battle Vairano handling - Top 32

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is why I wrote “fairly”.
Most so called sports cars are heavy these days.
Loads of electric gadgets, complex engines and crash structures pretty well guarantee it.

Passing crash rules and lightness makes it very expensive. Cars have got very big now too.
Yes, but Ferraris and Lambos and Corvettes have always been big. Porsches weren’t. The 992 took it to new heights (widths) with its ugly fat ass. It’s a barge at this point. I commend Porsche for still making it perform though.

What convinced me to go Taycan over 911 was that video of the TTS drag racing the 992 Turbo S on the airstrip. It wasn’t the race itself, it was just watching them drive up, turn, and pull into position. The 992 looked like an antiquated jumbled mess, while the TTS looked like a sleek spaceship gliding through the air. One looked like the past, and the other the future.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Weight is certainly the big problem on the track. Colin Chapman discovered this in the 60s in Formula 1.

But the 911 is a lard ass and too heavy to be a true sportscar....stands back and waits for the backlash lol.

I used to own a Lotus Exige 240s supercharged 1.8 VVti. It weighed 935kg. Consequently it was a hoot on the track. Wish I hadn't sold it.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
COuldn't agree more. I figure they were taking aim directly at Tesla Model S with this car, but if it was a 2 door it would be better in so many ways.
What are you guys talking about? A 2-door Taycan would have made as much sense as a glass nail. That would have been a MB SL or Bentley Conti competitor, and that class sells maybe double digits per year (slightly exaggerating). Not to mention that Porsche was no doubt already planning a 2-door EV as a proper sportscar. So not only it'd have been a sales disaster, an in-house competitor, but for the consumers it'd have been an objectively less useful car. Stats like percentage of trips alone don't mean the rear doors never get opened, nor that the driver would have purchased a 2-dr car.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
In my view, Porsche should have done more to differentiate the GTS Taycan. Perhaps the smaller battery with more light weight materials would have done the trick to make for something that can handle the kind of track duty that the GTS badge is supposed to be capable of.
The GTS badge is a relatively recent invention, which means "firmly in the middle of the range". It's a "looks", GT-line package. Both the 'turbo' and the proper 'GT' models have always been (far) more capable - including on track.
Sponsored