Can we make a Sticky about which home charger to use?

dmb

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not a electrician or a physicist
NEMA XXXXX-XXXXX..... XX amps...XX volts...XXX operating temperature
just too confusing to me

I live in the US and currently have nothing installed in my garage so far.
So....Which NEMA is best/future proof, which cable/face plate etc is the best in terms of not burning your house down?

thanks in advance
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The default NEMA 14-50 is what you want, unless you already have something installed. If you follow code and have a 50A circuit installed, you'll be fine, no matter what you plug into it.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I am not a electrician or a physicist
NEMA XXXXX-XXXXX..... XX amps...XX volts...XXX operating temperature
just too confusing to me

I live in the US and currently have nothing installed in my garage so far.
So....Which NEMA is best/future proof, which cable/face plate etc is the best in terms of not burning your house down?

thanks in advance
Consider this installation. Am a fan of a NEMA 6-50 Receptacle, but many choose a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle.
US 50 Amp Industrial-Grade Car Charger Circuit

Electrical fear started for me at 10 years old – an ungrounded bathroom light fixture wired hot threw me across the room into a bathtub. Since then, a 48-year electronic/electrical career had its share of shocks, burns, and explosions but good luck and caution prevailed. This garage project (all puns intended) will hopefully keep us and you safe and reduce the chance of ridiculously hot cables.

I recommend only safe, code compliant, charging adapters (never depend on a single computer to limit current – electrical spikes happen); larger circuit wires; and industrial grade connections. I have seen the effects of cheap equipment or poorly designed circuits. The pictures of lithium-battery cars still burning after 24 hours keep me cautious.

The charging circuit that follows is the solution for our garage. We have a 40-slot Siemens electrical panel with all slots filled. Thanks to Siemens, a 50A / 30A quad tandem circuit breaker was available that only used two slots. The two 30A slots for the dryer were replaced with the new breaker – two 30A breakers on the outside (for the existing dryer) and two 50A breakers in the middle (for the car charger). As a bonus, the electrician only had to add “car charger” between the previous “dryer” labels to relabel the panel.

1595974672142.png

Wire from the panel to the receptacle is 3 ea. #6-gauge THHN wires inside ¾” metallic conduit. THHN wire is rated for 90C temperature and for damp or dry applications. Metallic conduit lowers the temperature of the enclosed wire (compared to a sheath) and protects the surroundings from heat and potential electrical interference. Our circuit wire run is 8 feet of flexible metal conduit inside the walls plus 4 feet of rigid metal conduit. You can run up to 4 ea. #6-gauge THHN wires in ¾” metal conduit (3 for NEMA 6-50R and 4 for NEMA 14-50R receptacles). If your run is greater than 50 feet, strongly consider using #4-gauge THHN wire in 1” metal conduit (3 or 4 #4-gauge wires are ok in 1” metal conduit). 50A circuit breakers and receptacles will not accept larger than #4-gauge wire.

1595974711359.png

Hubbell 6-50R

Hubbell is my favorite receptacle brand: typically, one-piece low-resistance construction, strong, and tight grip but easy to use (good material and exact dimensions). Our circuit use a Hubbell 6-50R receptacle, chosen because the three-wire circuit reduces heat inside a conduit and is more flexible outside a conduit. The Porsche default 14-50P plug needs a 14-50R receptacle (which needs a four-wire circuit). Determine where you want your charger before you locate your receptacle. And most importantly, where do you want the ground pin: top or bottom? Our electrician left enough wire at the Hubbell 6-50 receptacle to disassemble and rotate the receptacle. With the Porsche Charging Dock (optional, not the Porsche Mobile Charger that comes with the Taycan), the ground pin must be at the bottom – the opposite of a normal installation.

1595974750936.png

NEMA 14-50R Receptacle (outlet) compatible with Porsche default US Supply Cable
(shown ground pin down for Porsche Charging Dock compatibility):

1595974802820.png

HBL9450A

by Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems
Straight Blade Devices, Receptacles, RTP, Industrial Grade,
3-Pole 4-Wire Grounding, 50A 125/250V, 14-50R, Black
  • Catalog number, ratings and certifications molded in face
  • Sequenced contacts assure protection
  • One-piece design power and ground contacts

Porsche NEMA 6-30 supply cable (our spare for emergency road kit)
This 30A supply cable is rated for 24A continuous current, but, if you look carefully, the cable tag is only rated for 16A – it may be a tag error or a lower current specified to minimize heat. (Note the 300 mm specified length is measured between the stress release moldings and the ground pin is far right, away from the end the cable, the normal ground pin location):

1595974889030.png

PARTS LIST SUMMARY

US 50 Amp Industrial-Grade Car Charger Circuit

Replace two 30 Amp breakers with:
SIEMENS Q23050CT2 Tandem Double Pole Circuit Breakers
30-Amp double pole outside
50-Amp double pole inside
Quadplex 1/2-Inch frame (two slots)
(or similar or two spare slots)

-------------------------------------
50 AMP, 240V NEMA 14-50 RECEPTACLE

For <50 ft from panel to receptacle:
#6-gauge THHN wire
Two hot wires + neutral + ground wire (4 total)
3/4" metallic conduit

For >50 ft from panel to receptacle:
#4-gauge THHN wire
Two hot wires + neutral + ground wire (4 total)
1" metallic conduit

Surface-mounted metal box with:
Hubbell 14-50R Receptacle, HBL9450A, UPC 783585015316

50 AMP, 240V NEMA 6-50 RECEPTACLE

For <50 ft from panel to receptacle:
#6-gauge THHN wire
Two hot wires + ground wire (3 total)
3/4" metallic conduit

For >50 ft from panel to receptacle:
#4-gauge THHN wire
Two hot wires + ground wire (3 total)
1" metallic conduit

Surface-mounted metal box with:
Hubbell 6-50R Receptacle, HBL9367, UPC 783585015279

The temperature ratings of the components in the circuits above are:
40C for the breaker
90C for the THHN wire
75C for Hubbell 14-50R & 6-50R receptacles (outlets or sockets)

Final recommendation: Hire a competent electrician - they are worth it.

1595974672142.png
1595974711359.png
1595974750936.png
1595974802820.png
1595974889030.png