Can you preheat car, heat seats and steering wheel using the Porsche connect app?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Preheating will suck from your charger and whatever more it needs will be sucked from the battery. We're waiting on an upgrade to charge at 22kw and currently only get 3.2kw. If I preheat I get 0.0km added, and the battery drops slowly. After 30 minutes it starts to equalize. 5 minutes is usually more than enough.

Btw there's something seriously wrong with their backend. My iPhone connects immediately. My dads Android is stuck waiting for the Porsche server to connect to the car (this is almost immediate with my iPhone). The phone connects to the Porsche servers rather quickly but that's where it usually starts to hang for a while. It's almost like they're deliberately throttling Android phones, or the app is lying about connection status. Starting to think they outsourced the whole thing to some two bit company off shore...

Also tons of times the app has shown the climate as on when it's not. It's like they couldn't do a basic if (!isPorscheServerConnectedToCar) markOptionsAsUnavailable().

Maddening.
Sponsored

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Preheating will suck from your charger and whatever more it needs will be sucked from the battery. We're waiting on an upgrade to charge at 22kw and currently only get 3.2kw. If I preheat I get 0.0km added, and the battery drops slowly. After 30 minutes it starts to equalize. 5 minutes is usually more than enough.

Btw there's something seriously wrong with their backend. My iPhone connects immediately. My dads Android is stuck waiting for the Porsche server to connect to the car (this is almost immediate with my iPhone). The phone connects to the Porsche servers rather quickly but that's where it usually starts to hang for a while. It's almost like they're deliberately throttling Android phones, or the app is lying about connection status. Starting to think they outsourced the whole thing to some two bit company off shore...

Also tons of times the app has shown the climate as on when it's not. It's like they couldn't do a basic if (!isPorscheServerConnectedToCar) markOptionsAsUnavailable().

Maddening.
try web version from android. That should work as a backup. You can do all the same things from there.

KrisMc

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Ginetta G40r, VW T6
Country flag
Preheating on mine doesn’t work, so my handles got jammed half way out and car was showing unlocked, wouldn’t lock but couldn’t open doors. Glass stuck to frame, W glass couldn’t come downstairs and handles wouldn’t come out further. -3 that is all!!!
Porsche Taycan Can you preheat car, heat seats and steering wheel using the Porsche connect app? 4349C42E-7977-43F4-B1BD-45B10D4C3BAF

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
You can.

Best is to preheat the interior while you are plugged in. That heats also the battery but not as much as when you charge. If you have a predictable departure time, you can set a timer.
Does it automatically pre-heat from the charger when plugged in, or still draw from the main battery meaning you have to be charging to ensure no loss of SOC?

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Does it automatically pre-heat from the charger when plugged in, or still draw from the main battery meaning you have to be charging to ensure no loss of SOC?
Literally two posts above you....

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Maddening.
The app is garbage. You have to wait until the green light appears in the top left before you start pre-heating/cooling. The app actually seemingly let’s you start pre-heat/cool when it is red, but even though the app shows the pre-heat/cool to be operating (including the countdown) the car will not respond, unless the pre-heat/cool has been commenced after the green light has appeared. Poor programming that it shows the pre-heat/cool to be working when it is clearly not.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Maddening.
Same happens occasionally on the iphone. I was told by Porsche to log out of the app then log back in - that seems to work. What I do now, is shut down the Porsche COnnect app after I use it, so whenever I need it it starts again from scratch. I also observed that the car actually takes commands even if the connection seems to be only in progress (activate climate while the app is still displaying the spinning circle)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That is interesting. My set up will not take any power from the charger if I start the preheating from the app. It heats the cabin for an hour but not the battery. It just takes all the power it needs from the battery.

Seems the SW is so dumb that it does not realise it is plugged in and can use shore power! No surprise really with Porsche SW!

I guess you may have set up to charge as well as preheat? I have 22kW available by the way, but the car can only take 11 kW.

The only way I have found to preheat the battery is to set a Timer for charging and preheating at the same time. That way I have managed to take the power from the charger and not the battery.

How Porsche have managed to so completely mess up all of this, I just can not understand.

Porsche need to employ some guys that have developed this for Tesla. If Tesla is plugged in you can start your preheat with the app, car heats up, battery heats up, and power is taken from the grid and not the battery.

But Hey “It drives Like a Porsche” !

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
The app is garbage. You have to wait until the green light appears in the top left before you start pre-heating/cooling. The app actually seemingly let’s you start pre-heat/cool when it is red, but even though the app shows the pre-heat/cool to be operating (including the countdown) the car will not respond, unless the pre-heat/cool has been commenced after the green light has appeared. Poor programming that it shows the pre-heat/cool to be working when it is clearly not.
Sometimes the heating activates while it still is attempting to contact Porsches servers. I honestly think this app was made by some intern at an Indian office that do apps for other companies (used one at a previous job - sometimes good, sometimes horrible). If I have time outside of streaming I'll see about decompiling their Android app and see what the hell they're doing, though I suspect it's at their API level and not in the app... unless the idiots have a goddamn "Thread.Sleep(3000)" while it's connecting. ?‍♂

Same happens occasionally on the iphone. I was told by Porsche to log out of the app then log back in - that seems to work. What I do now, is shut down the Porsche COnnect app after I use it, so whenever I need it it starts again from scratch. I also observed that the car actually takes commands even if the connection seems to be only in progress (activate climate while the app is still displaying the spinning circle)
I've logged out of the app multiple times on his phone and still no go. The app is opted out of all battery optimizations as well so it runs in the background. Also locked out of being cleared from memory.

That is interesting. My set up will not take any power from the charger if I start the preheating from the app. It heats the cabin for an hour but not the battery. It just takes all the power it needs from the battery.

Seems the SW is so dumb that it does not realise it is plugged in and can use shore power! No surprise really with Porsche SW!

I guess you may have set up to charge as well as preheat? I have 22kW available by the way, but the car can only take 11 kW.

The only way I have found to preheat the battery is to set a Timer for charging and preheating at the same time. That way I have managed to take the power from the charger and not the battery.

How Porsche have managed to so completely mess up all of this, I just can not understand.

Porsche need to employ some guys that have developed this for Tesla. If Tesla is plugged in you can start your preheat with the app, car heats up, battery heats up, and power is taken from the grid and not the battery.

You could actually be right. The app might be showing 0.0 km/min because it can't charge more than the heater is eating up. Who knows?

I can only pull 3.2KW at the moment as I await an upgrade for 3 phase. We ordered just as the '21 models became available and the 22kw onboard charger was not listed yet (they added more and more options to the configurator throughout the month). Thankfully our dealer told us he'd fix it and get back to us later this month for a cheap retrofit. :)

Teslas software and hardware is best in class. Nobody is even close. They're using Intel Atom as their processor while I suspect everyone else is either purchasing the cheapest MediaTek CPUs or systems are running on a single thread each. Absolute smooth brain developers/management.

I still love the car more than anything. Just wish they would take the software serious. Slow and unresponsive screens are extremely infuriating. Add the shitty app on top of that and -- ehh?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

No, thank you!!! T uses 1% SoC, almost 1 kWh every day. That's not a solution, it's a climate killer!

Porsche Taycan Can you preheat car, heat seats and steering wheel using the Porsche connect app? 1610532095080

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No, thank you!!! T uses 1% SoC, almost 1 kWh every day. That's not a solution, it's a climate killer!
Fact is that we have the Porsche Connect and I do not see any Phantom Drain in the Porsche. Why would this come into discussion at all?

I also can not see any reason why we can not have the preheat to start via Porsche Connect. If that would condition the battery it would be better in the long term anyhow. The car will heat the battery when cold when you start driving anyhow. It just shows up as a much higher consumption in the initial part of a trip. In that case it has taken the energy from the battery and that needs to be replenished. Why not take that straight from the grid and avoid all the conversions from 220 volt to 800 volt and then to whatever voltage the heater runs on? Probably 10 + % loss compared to straight 220 volt feed?

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

Wow, I did not realize that - this is a huge mistake..... Why in the world not taking energy from the grid? As mentioned here and elsewhere, software needs improvement
Sponsored