TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
I recently asked my Porsche dealer if there is a way to increase the current (max 8A on 110V) on a PMCC. I had a dedicated 125V/20A line and receptacle installed in my (strata) condo's parkade by a certified electrician (the building cant handle Level 2 chargers). To my surprise, the after sales advisor told me that Porsche doesn't support 110V charging, and that it should only be used in emergencies. This is the comment I received:

"Please note that 110V is for emergency only. Max 8A amp is set by Porsche as a safety measure to not overload the circuit. Also, 110V has overheated the circuits in the past.
Porsche Taycan Canada Electrical Code for EV Charging 1638127066595
" (note that I have nothing in my PMCC manual saying its for emergency only)

After debating this, she showed me the attached paper - extract from an internal Porsche memo. So I had a look at the EV Charging section of the Canadian Electrical Code. https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93458#p1367389. I am not an electrician, but I am pretty confident that, provided the installation is to Standard, 110V/20A is just fine. By the way- I did get a 'domestic cable' (NEMA 5-15) with my PMCC when I got my car....

I decided not to argue with the dealership any longer. I am happy with my Level 1 charging as I only use the car on weekends, and 5 days in between is plenty of time to top up my battery, even though its only at less than 1kW per hour. And if I need extra juice fast, I'll just go to a PetroCanada or BC Hydro charging station. One of my condo neighbors has a 3rd party charger (also on a dedicated line) and gets 15A, so that is always an option.

Attachments

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Disclaimer: I’m not familiar with the CEC, I’m not a Canadian resident, and I’m not even a licensed electrician in my own country. So, I’m basically complete unqualified to answer your question. ?

That said, I read through the linked section and what stands out to me is the callout for the 5-20R on 125V circuits.

I don’t think the NEC has this requirement, but I’m not in a position to double check at the moment.

The PMC+ and PMCC have a 5-15 supply cable available.

I think it’s been covered elsewhere on the forum that the US spec comes with the 5-15 and the Canadian spec does not. I’m not sure when you got your car, but maybe it was offered at one time and then it changed. I’ll have to look it up later.

So, it may be that Canada allows 120VAC charging, but the PMC+/C are not within spec for it.

All that said, you may have better luck with your question on an electrical forum.

I’ve used this one before (and received answers from Canadians citing the CEC).

https://www.diychatroom.com/

Also, I think the limit on the PMC+/C is 8 amps on 120VAC. I have to double check that later also. You may want to look into a different EVSE that can do 16 amps.